AuthorTopic: Hi guys, new off roader here, needing advice!  (Read 1320 times)

Offline seanyboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi guys, new off roader here, needing advice!
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:53 »
Hi guys, im new to offroading and need some help on what vehicles to choose. Im stuck between a Disco or classic ranger rover, looking at around the late 80s age! I defo want the 3.5v8 in either, unless u guys can make me change my mind to diesel lol! But yeh i really would like some help, pros and cons to the discos and range rovers from the late 80s. Thanks guys hope to hear soon!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Hi guys, new off roader here, needing advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:16 »
One thing to bear in mind with the V8 is that it doesn't take to wading quite as well as the TDI. The TDI will keep running as long as it has air and fuel, while the V8 will cut out if the distributor gets soaked.

Have you tried sitting in the two vehicles? The Disco roofline is higher which may be relevant depending on your dimensions.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline JimP

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:55:25 »
they are both very simlar to be hoenst, i've got a 3.5v8 range rover and have also had a Disco.

personally I prefer the Disco but only just!

I would also say tdi, the V8 sounds awesome and has plenty of power, but doesn't like water and doesnt do much mpg!

Discos tend to rot more than range rovers though

Range rovers seem to be cheaper too I find (sold a 3.5 efi for £600, soemone got a bargain there!)

there's arguements for and agaisnt both, but I'd say a Disco Tdi over a Range V8!
Disco 300tdi - for laning
Suzuki Vitara - for playing!!

Offline Lewis.J.P_1987

Attack Member
  • "Roads?....where we're going, we don't need roads.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 14:24:25 »
Even though I am biased towards V8 Range Rovers, having a diesel will properly be best. Unless you like spending £50 on fuel for a days off roading. As opposed to £50 a week for a Diesel.

As for Range Rover Vs Disco they are basically the same, However Discos are a lot more common. I’m not saying thats a bad thing it would just be nice to see more Classic rangies driving around!
[img width= height=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xhMRptpho[/img]   http://www.youtube.com/user/LewisJP1987

Offline seanyboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 17:51:51 »
Hi guys thanks for being so helpful on this subject, the thing is i want a vehicle, which i dint explain in my first post sory bout that, that i can also use for work, im a groundworker and i am going to tow trailer with sand etc, also have a mini digger to tow, also want to have fun with it when i can, but i also want it for carry family about if needed, so that why i thought about a 4x4 to do all that, sounds like alot probably but why buy three vehicles to do seperate jobs when u can buy one, if u get me :). Ok guys another question for ya, wats the diesel, V8, or even V8 gassed like on mpg? Sorry for all the questions :)

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 19:12:54 »
The diesel should return about 30mpg on a run, maybe slightly better. However, I've no idea what a heavy trailer of sand will do to this!  :lol:

One thing to bear in mind, if you want it to double as your work truck then don't fit huge aggressive mud tyres to it. They'll make it a pig to drive on the road and increase your wet weather stopping distances, which will matter a lot if you intend to tow/carry heavy cargo with it. You can fit 245/75 R16 tyres to a Disco if you trim a tiny bit of concealed bodywork off.

Consider what you want the vehicle for. If you want to go laning, then just fit a detachable towbar, all terrain tyres and maybe some bash plates. Don't bother with a lift to begin with as you'll develop your driving far more if you keep it standard to begin with.

If you want a pay and play warrior, then I'd still say to follow a similar approach but bear in mind that you run a greater risk of breaking stuff - you may end up doing frantic repairs on a Sunday night in order to get it roadworthy for Monday!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Lewis.J.P_1987

Attack Member
  • "Roads?....where we're going, we don't need roads.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 20:41:18 »
In thats case buy a Mitsubishi Pajero
[img width= height=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xhMRptpho[/img]   http://www.youtube.com/user/LewisJP1987

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 21:11:25 »
IMO the best thing to do is have a toy and have a dayly drive. i am building a disco truck at the moment and am driving a vaxhall astra dayley. dont think i would be able to drive a defender(my choice for a daily drive) AND build my truck. the way i think and work it just works out better that way.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline seanyboy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 21:32:48 »
Really? Why a Mitsibushi Pajero?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal