AuthorTopic: Sankey Cooks Trailer with New Ball Hitch and Drop Nose  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Brian the Sn@il

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
  • Referrals: 0
Sankey Cooks Trailer with New Ball Hitch and Drop Nose
« on: September 14, 2009, 15:40:52 »
Purchased this from Withams 2 weeks ago, along with a Racal trailer and a Generator trailer.

A bit of a prject as its drawing to the end of the Air Conditioning season.

Im a member of The Norfolk Military group and wanted a project to russle up some food for the troops when they arrive at the shows.

So i first took out the rear burners, and fitted a Catering Gas BBQ i had in the workshop that a dont use very often ( im a charcoal man ) ;)

A few new bits of stainless steel folded up and fitted to make a work surface to the right, lots of sanding and some paint.

Its work in progress, and its MKI  :)

Tow hitch was a bit more of a pain as i wanted it to look good, but also needed a 50mm hitch on it. Luckly enough you can buy just the hitch which bolts on in place of the NATO ring, so i have all the brakes still :)

John our engineer did the maths and cut the sections out and doubled welded new drop sections in place. It looks great and also tows great :) One of the best trailers i have towed, as theres nuo jumping or bouncing you normally get with the new trailers, this is smoother and glides over the bumps, and dosent bounce :)
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
Re: Sankey Cooks Trailer with New Ball Hitch and Drop Nose
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 15:42:52 »

1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 18:00:01 »
ITs certainly work in progress as i would like to add a Griddle and maybe a 240V inverter system to it, and also carrying the gas bottle on board without having to take it off.

Ive seen the hot boxes... ovens are for sale online at £ 70 each, the gas burners ( i have 6 of ) are up for £ 25 each, the NATO green Norwegien Cool boxes ( i have 8 of ) are up for £ 25 each.  so not sure what to try and sell, or what to do :(

Im planning a awning over the rear end at the moment :)
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

mattyme

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 22:32:30 »
ive spent many an hour in all weathers cooking on a no.4 and no.5 cookset during my time in the army!!

the trailer cookset is a wicked and very versatile piece of kit!! i cooked breakfast for 200 squaddies on the side of a mountain in the Hartz Mountains in germany once.... that was an experience!! lol

my finest moment was when my no.1 burner went out but carried on pumping vapourised petrol out and reignited from a match that i threw at it.......

and the resulting fireball was most impressive!!!!!  [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:56 »
ive spent many an hour in all weathers cooking on a no.4 and no.5 cookset during my time in the army!!

the trailer cookset is a wicked and very versatile piece of kit!! i cooked breakfast for 200 squaddies on the side of a mountain in the Hartz Mountains in germany once.... that was an experience!! lol

my finest moment was when my no.1 burner went out but carried on pumping vapourised petrol out and reignited from a match that i threw at it.......

and the resulting fireball was most impressive!!!!!  [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

No.1 Burneres... the scarriest cooker I've ever seen!  5 gallons of petrol... in a pressurised container.... and a match...  Might as well call it a jet engine!

We had one cabage mechanic (ahem) I mean chef.... who casually lit them... then wandered through the comcen with it pelting flames out the back... I was certain he'd set the camnets on fire some day!

Skibum

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 20:35:01 »
Hi matt is great to hear from the Army who have used these :)

THe BBQ went doen well, i cooked for 25 people :lol:   no where near your 200 !!!!  but im sure the army would have liked a BBQ better ????
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline gt.jacko

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 22:45:54 »
Hi i have a sanky hi cap with the later disc brakes and would like to convert my hitch as well, can you tell me where you bought hitch from as I obviously want it to be an easy swop so as not to lase my brakes etc.

Cheers
            Gary

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 22:06:32 »
That looks like a very professional hitch conversion Brian, the chassis is cranked isn't it?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal