AuthorTopic: Towing a Sankey trailer + one more ?  (Read 16407 times)

Offline squaddie_fox

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Towing a Sankey trailer + one more ?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 14:59:54 »
still illegal to tow on the road as more than one, unless as previously said, you are either a showman or have an agricultural licence.

you can reverse up to 6 together, anymore than that and it starts getting difficult!

the onlt way i, as a recovery driver, can recover more than one vehicle is if i put one on the front and one on the back. technically my wrecker is classed as a train in that situation... :roll:

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 15:27:21 »
Its quite common in South Africa to tow two trailers but for some reason i think its illegal in the UK.

wizard
So how do the fairground people get round towing two trailers or sometimes three
Its called Showmans haulage, they have a special exemption to several things, towing weights off road access, towing multipul trailers, and road tax is buttons for them as they have there own class that fits in to Special vehicles
Quote from DVLA
Special Vehicles Mobile crane, mobile pump, digging machine, works truck, road roller, showman’s HGV, showman’s haulage, special trailer (for showman’s rigid goods vehicles over 12,000kg pulling laden trailers over 4,000kg).
Road tax is £165 for the following
Special vehicles
Tax Class 14 (weighing over 3,500kg)
Showman's goods,
showman's haulage,
works trucks, digging machines,
road rollers, mobile cranes and pumps
I cant find the two trailer bit but its to allow living wagons ( caravans to us) to be towed behind an artic or as originally done with a Ballast tractor, towing a draw bar trailer towing a living wagon, ore some loads would not fit on one trailer Dogems are often on two trailers.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Atkinson_Ballast_Tractor_-_fairground_livery_lookalike.jpg/180px-Atkinson_Ballast_Tractor_-_fairground_livery_lookalike.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballast_tractor&usg=__jMcZmN_lrasNMZMPIS8l1WaZ420=&h=120&w=180&sz=8&hl=en&start=46&um=1&tbnid=nCnIJf9WAWWrPM:&tbnh=67&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscammell%2Btowing%2Bfair%2Bride%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address%26rlz%3D1I7GGLL_en%26sa%3DN%26start%3D40%26um%3D1
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 23:24:40 »
It is illegal to tow 2 trailers unless you are a showman, farmer or member of HM armed forces.  They are exempt under various acts and both tractors and amry vehicles are subject to different speed restrictions.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 19:37:50 »
It is illegal to tow 2 trailers unless you are a showman, farmer or member of HM armed forces.  They are exempt under various acts and both tractors and amry vehicles are subject to different speed restrictions.

Well thats summed it up :) many thanf RRB :)
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 00:51:53 »
im pretty sure i said that before apart from the fact the military are not exempt as we do not have crown exemption anymore. we still have to abide by the same rules as everyone else on the road.

in a depot is a totally different matter.

on the back of the trailer it should have a sticker that says for 'depot use only' and something along the lines of no more than two at a time. cannot remember exactly.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal