AuthorTopic: Dim dip relay/resistor where???  (Read 4158 times)

Offline age

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dim dip relay/resistor where???
« on: September 09, 2009, 20:14:51 »
Still got probs with 2001 Defender TD5 - no sidelights or headlights (although at least the back-up alarm has stopped wailing when I tried to turn them on).

Dim dip is the current suspect - but can anyone tell me where relay and resistor are?  Ta, A
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Re: Dim dip relay/resistor where???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:31 »
My earlier 90 (1988) is behind the instrument panel. But some are mounted on the inner wing and are a pain to get at! I found one between the vertical section of the inner wing and the outer wing. Not sure if that's the correct place, but it looked like it was original.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:48 »
Thanks v8 - yes it was behind/below instruments - access through speaker hole was best!

Don't think its faulty after all that - no live feed to this (low or high volts) and v unsteady voltage at live feed into stalk switch.  Dim dip resistor next - any idea where that is!??  Cheers, A :sad:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 14:00:45 »
Thanks v8 - yes it was behind/below instruments - access through speaker hole was best!

Don't think its faulty after all that - no live feed to this (low or high volts) and v unsteady voltage at live feed into stalk switch.  Dim dip resistor next - any idea where that is!??  Cheers, A :sad:

Maybe that's the device I found on the inner wing. I bought a pair of wings at Billing and these had what looked like a dim/dip resistor on the outside face of the top vertical plate of the inner wing.... if that makes sense! Basically, the inner wing has a veritcal plate in line with the join between outer wing and wing top. This is where it was mounted. Can't remember whether it was on the left or right of the car though!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline age

Attack Member
Re: Dim dip / no lights / result!!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 21:30:28 »
Bang on the money again v8 (offside wing) - and resistor is 100% ok too.....

After much multimetering, we (i.e. my mate who knows what he's doing....) traced a complete power loss under any load between the under seat mega fuse and the steering column switch.  12v max at switch dropping to 8v or even nil under any load - even the side lights.

Traced the spur of the same feed to the resistor for the dim dip, and no fault at all 12.4v+.  So, new feed off that circuit before the resistor, basically just abandoning the faulty wire wherever it may be, and spliced into the connector loom/block in the dash.  All beautifully crimped and soldered and taped - Bob is indeed your mother's brother.

Caused some real grief failing entirely coincidental to the injector failure - such is life - now I really can use it night and day till the next bit breaks!!  Thanks for the help.  A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal