AuthorTopic: alloys onto my 90 tdi dont go....  (Read 1330 times)

Offline alwoody

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
alloys onto my 90 tdi dont go....
« on: August 30, 2009, 19:40:05 »
hi there just got me a new toy, j reg 90 200 tdi with nasty steel wheels on... went to put my freestyle alloys and bfg m/t on and the fronts wont fit, they foul on the ends of the hubs and the studs dont protrude far enough through.... presuming i need to fit a different hub or even later axle, can anyone tell me the correct procedure, i dont want to put spacers on as will be towing and using for work... all help much appreciated   alex

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
Re: alloys onto my 90 tdi dont go....
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 20:35:40 »
Just out of interest, why no spacers, they cause a very minimal reduction in mileage on wheelbearings.
But they allow greater steering lock, ideal for reversing trailers and they make the vehicle more stable.
I was so glad to fit my spacers, made all the difference manovouring the cattle trailers in and out of the tight yards at work.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline alwoody

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 21:06:22 »
hi i just think that loading up an extra part not designed to be there with 3.5 tons of trailer is risky... also the spacers would need to be 35mm to allow centre caps on wheels, would just be happier if all was as designed to be!!!

Offline discosteveo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 21:28:32 »
hi there is proper 4mm shims which you need, criss at the land rover breakers at wimblington nr chateris/march you can buy them on ebay just put in wheel spacers and you will find them £20#

hope that sorts it out

stephen
300tdi discovery 3 inch lift, insa turbo special tracks 265 75 16 winch 12,000 lb  heavy duty bumpers front and rear, rock/ tree sliders, steering guard, mid and rear box and cat removed,side exit, safari snorkel, brush wires, roof light bar with spotlights defender A bar with spotlights,flexi arches, wheel spacers, bailey morris wide angle props front and rear, etc etc.

red 90 with all the best bits and all the dents

td5 disco

200 tdi offroader disco lightweight hybrid

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 22:14:37 »
there are two kind of wheel stud, one has a blank end and is shorter, the other has a line on the end ( very obvious when you see it) these are designed to fit alloy wheels.

My j reg 90 the shorter studs. and the same problem ( i have a stack of ES wheels to fit in the garden)

There are 3 way to fit them that i have thought of.

1) 30mm wheel spacer then they will go strait on

2) 4mm spacer and longer studs,  but you still wont be able to fit the center caps to the alloys

3) fit disco or later axles,  then you get the brakes as well on the back. 

im guessing you could change the shafts for 10 spline disco ones as well but im not sure.

hope that all help

Offline alwoody

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 23:28:43 »
cheers andy, yep i have the blank studs on front and lined on rear hence easy fitment... guess its the 30mm spacers or finding out for sure re the disco/late 10 spline hubs....  alex

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 23:37:26 »
Ive never had a problem with my wheel bearings even with lots of heavy offroad use and towing a 3.5t trailer.
Even towing a 4.5t trailer over the fields to get to harvesters has never caused any issues so i would not be concerned provided you get tuv approved spacers.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 00:03:48 »
One other option is the aftermarket alloys like the compomotive ones which have a large centre hole like the steelies.

You should not replace all 5 studs on one hub, LR stipulate that is more than 2 have been changed then the hub should be scrapped.  The studs are pressed in.

To fit LR alloys succesfuly you either need the later stubs axles and hubs or spacers.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline vicskyline

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 18:48:14 »
hi i put spacers on ours when we changed from modulars now have boost alloys with BFG tyres, they look great our defender in a workhorse and does a lot of towing horse trailers and never had a problem!
life is like a S**t sandwich everyday you take another bite!!

Offline T30CDB

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 22:01:23 »
Ive had 30mm wheel spacers fitted for four years now with boost alloys and never had any problems towing big trailers. Just make sure they are tuv rated
and on the eigth day god created ..... Landrover

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal