AuthorTopic: Just got back from Norway (Orig: Anyone going to Norway??)  (Read 9269 times)

Offline Whatmot

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
  • Referrals: 0
Ive just got back from the Pyrenees with OneLife Adventure, which by the way was absolutely awesome. I cant recommend Paul enough; he is a fantastic host amongst, many, other great qualities and not to mention a brilliant route which climaxed, naturally, on the last day.

Aaaanway, now that ive seen the 'south' of Europe, id rather like to see the 'north' so to speak, namely Scandinavia but more precisely Norway. I just wondered if anyone was, or was thinking of heading up there some point next year. Great company isnt required but im sure you all know its what 'makes the trip' :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:25:41 by Whatmot »
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline simondarby

Attack Member
    • South Devon
Re: Anyone going to Norway??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:47 »
I am seriously considering a Norway trip next year to see how far up into the Arctic Circle I can get.  However, there is a small problem of getting there easily.

Both Smyril Line (Faroe Islands, Iceland, Norway, Denmark ferry) and DFDS have cancelled routes directly from the UK to Norway.  They did this is 2008 and there are no concrete signs of reinstating the routes anytime soon.

You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest, or ferry to France and drive.  Either way, it's a very long drive that way...

I am waiting to see what happens before committing now...
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 16:06:26 »
Hi

You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest

That was to be my planned route into the country
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 18:11:19 »
You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest, or ferry to France and drive.  Either way, it's a very long drive that way...

When we went back in 1988 (in a 1965 MG Midget), they ran a route from Harwich to Hirtshals in Denmark, then on to Oslo. I take it this route is no longer?

Fabulous country though. I really want to go again, but it's unlikely to be next year. We stayed in a log cabin on the shores of Sognefjord. A good base for some spectacular scenery. You can't be in a rush anywhere on the west coast though. Virtually everywhere you go involves a ferry crossing!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline MuddyDiscoveryJay

Attack Member
    • Colchester, Essex
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 15:54:39 »
Afternoon all, I too have been looking into the arctic circle and Atlas overland take a group there. http://www.atlasoverland.com/tour_arcticcircle.php    Try the link and see what luck you get. Im looking to go not next year but the year after and then take 2 months to head down to Italy and then home. I hope to go with Atlas to the pyrnees next year though. Hope I have helped. Good luck.

MDJ
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 16:06:53 by MuddyDiscoveryJay »

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 19:27:00 »

When we went back in 1988 (in a 1965 MG Midget), they ran a route from Harwich to Hirtshals in Denmark, then on to Oslo. I take it this route is no longer?

Fabulous country though. I really want to go again, but it's unlikely to be next year. We stayed in a log cabin on the shores of Sognefjord. A good base for some spectacular scenery. You can't be in a rush anywhere on the west coast though. Virtually everywhere you go involves a ferry crossing!

Steve, that ferry route is the one I was planning on doing (if its still running). Agreed, it looks like an absolutely stunning country!

Afternoon all, I too have been looking into the arctic circle and Atlas overland take a group there. http://www.atlasoverland.com/tour_arcticcircle.php    Try the link and see what luck you get. Im looking to go not next year but the year after and then take 2 months to head down to Italy and then home. I hope to go with Atlas to the pyrnees next year though. Hope I have helped. Good luck.

MDJ

I've look an Atlas's site but it doesnt really interest me. If you are looking to do the Pyrenees, I can highly recommend Paul @ OneLife Adventure. He might not be the cheapest, but he runs smaller groups and I would say his service and hospitality are second to none. You wont regret paying out the extra money.
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 12:31:32 »
hi tom

i second every thing you said about paul,just come back from the august Pyrenees trip,truly awesome

just now trying to figure out where we can go next  that fits in with school holidays!

iceland,norway  Morocco all look good,  i understand Paul's looking into doing a flydrive to iceland next year using arctic trucks vehicles (of top gear fame) but it wont be cheap !

one can but dream kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 18:11:52 »
I am thinking of going next year if I can sort the time of work...I really want to see the northern lights as well next year....Trying to get a decent Disco to go with....

Terry

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 23:49:02 »
hi tom

i second every thing you said about paul,just come back from the august Pyrenees trip,truly awesome

just now trying to figure out where we can go next  that fits in with school holidays!

iceland,norway  Morocco all look good,  i understand Paul's looking into doing a flydrive to iceland next year using arctic trucks vehicles (of top gear fame) but it wont be cheap !

one can but dream kevin

Kevin, a fly drive to iceland would be truly awesome,  but yeah, just a tad expensive!! Morocco is definitely on my list of places to go

I am thinking of going next year if I can sort the time of work...I really want to see the northern lights as well next year....Trying to get a decent Disco to go with....

Terry

Terry, good to hear you might be interested in coming. I was planning on going June time to see the midnight sun, but I think I would rather see the nothern lights, only problem is, don't you have to go during the winter months in order to see the full spectacle??

Btw, this was going to be a rough route for the trip. I was planning on weaving in and out of the western coast as I headed north and then possibly stay in Nordkapp for a couple of days. I wasn't really fussed about seeing Sweden, well apart from Stockholm as that is supposed to be a lovely city. The time given by Google in roughly 4 days (excluding ferry times), but if you break up that into 6-7 hour days thats about 2 weeks; I was planning on taking 3 weeks off work so that I could 'take things easy' so to speak. Any thoughts on the route and what to do are much appreciated
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 19:23:13 by Whatmot »
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline Muddyblue

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 16:03:41 »
We did a similar route to your planned trip a couple of years ago and your timing of 3 weeks sounds about right,(longer is always better !) although we started in Bergen and headed North to Nordkaap which took a steady 9 days, including a ferry from Bodo to the Lofoten Islands, then turned South roughly following your route and including Rovaniemi in Finland. I dont think you'll need a couple of days at Nordkaap, there's not much there. We also stuck closer to the West Coast of Norway and drove the "Atlantic highway" from Molde to Kristiansund. Mainly camping but with a couple of hotels and log cabins for a change, we had no problems finding sites or getting ferries in July.
Hope you have a fantastic time, we did, and take every opportunity that comes your way. 
98 Discovery GS
Blue...."ish" . " Baloo "
ONE LIFE....LIVE IT !

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 14:58:56 »
Thanks MuddyBlue, I'll make a note to check those out. Ive also made a note a check out the Geiranger and Naeroyfi fjords...

(I think) I have set my heart on going in June/July time so if anyone is seriously interested in tagging along please give me a shout
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 18:43:23 by Whatmot »
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline beatmasterdave

Attack Member
  • Toyota Hilux 2.4TD Auto (more kit coming!)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:00 »
hi there! all this talk sounds great!!!!!!
I'd love to get involved! i have been looking into Morocco recently, had plans of the alps before. Norway would be awsome! I'd have to go ice climbing in Roujkan though! Hoaw are plans coming along? Room for one more?

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 18:04:52 »
PM sent! Anyone else??
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 23:11:50 »
Wellll, at the beginning of July, me and the girlfriend packed up my Mav and said goodbye to the UK for three weeks and set our sights on Scandinavia as planned.

We caught a DFDS cargo ferry from Immingham to Gothenburg (in Sweden) (although they do one to Brevik in Norway but that was fully booked). Our trip started from Oslo and then onto Voss and Bergen. We then headed north taking in the Naeroyfjord, the Jotunheimen nation park and the Geirangerfjord. By then we were in Trondhiem so headed up the coast towards Bodo where we caught another ferry to the Lofoten Islands. We worked our way along them to Tromso before heading towards the Northcape to enjoy the midnight sun. From there we headed south into Sweden and Stockholm. Our journey finished in Copenhagen. All I can say is WOW! The scenery was totally breathtaking in places. The weather was ok so it didn't dampen our spirits too much. Three weeks really wasn't long enough so we have decided to go back again next year.

Here are the all important pictures. We have more, but my girlfriend is still sorting through hers so they will be up in a few days time. Enjoy!

Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal