AuthorTopic: OOOPS!! I didnt want to do that...  (Read 11331 times)

Offline karloss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
OOOPS!! I didnt want to do that...
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2005, 19:49:20 »
Is that still true when parts have been replaced like for like?

Removes lid and runs away from worms.....
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2005, 19:53:10 »
Woah, you do like starting thing off dont you!

Like for like is broken engine replaced with same, or axle etc, I should imagine not, but the thing is with Land rover parts they are so interchangeable, and like you said could lead to a right can of worms

Grey area or what
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2005, 19:53:30 »
You swapped the chassis...  and unless you did it with a genuine *new* part and have the receipts to prove it, then you ought to get it tested and a new plate issued.

The vast majority of "hybrid" vehicles are on technically illegal plates.  Those who are claiming tax exemption have been coming under ever-increasing scrutiny just lately by the DVLA, and they don't take kindly to what they consider licence evasion.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regrebil.htm
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2005, 20:06:59 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
You swapped the chassis...  

No I never!

You'd do very well to prove it's not original too.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2005, 20:08:09 »
Well, OK.. the chassis has been swapped.

I don't want to prove anything... I don't make the rules  :?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2005, 20:20:06 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
I don't want to prove anything... I don't make the rules  :?

When I said you. I didn't mean you personally. Although you've more chance than most government inspectors I would have thought.

Just been reading through your link, typically government department complicated. :roll:  Seems I've broken more laws in my time than I previously thought. Off to hide under the bed now.

Fail to see what the issue is providing you're not doing it for any gain, and it's registered to the right person, not stolen etc etc. Number plates a number plate to me.
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2005, 20:50:42 »
The Q plate is so that the Insurance companies can pick all of your pockets.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2005, 20:53:06 »
That's about right.
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2005, 21:04:32 »
The Q plate has been around for a long time and it was to allow enthusiasts to register road legal vehicles which had been built from kits, etc.

It (theoretically at least) protects car buyers too, as they know the vehicle has been radically altered or rebuilt.

The insurance companies do tend to use it to hike premiums (what's new), which is daft really... the SVA is a far tougher test and the vehicle needs to be in much better condition.

I'd put good money that a high percentage of vehicles owned by MC members wouldn't pass it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2005, 21:13:32 »
There used to be a bloke living about 30 miles away from me who had a yard and about 20 series landies in there. Every month or so he would make a good one out of all of them and sell it and get some more breakers in and so forth.......
He got busted and spent 18 months inside.
An extremely grey area.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2005, 21:58:32 »
I thought the DVLA points system would just about allow a chassis swap sans reregistering, however it's a fairly close call and swapping anything else (as well) is questionable.

At the end of the day the Q-Plate is used to determine vehicles of indeterminate age of manufacture, or other oddities.  If you sufficiently modify a vehicle that it should be re-registered, then it has to be re-registered..  

Addmitedly the insurance company will hike the price up, but then again they do that if you add spotlights, stickers, furry dice or drive it wearing an expensive coat.  

If, God forbid you are in an accident and haven't kept to within the letter of the law, do you really believe the insurance company will say "well, technically he was driving an illigal vehicle, and it wasn't the one he insured, but it's a nice day and I've just had a lovely coconut ring biscuit.. let's pay out anyway" ?

Somehow I think not.  You have to have insurance in this country, and that insurance *has* to be for the vehicle in question; by vehicle in question there is no grey area, being the same colour isn't good enough.  If you are in any doubt, ring the DVLA and ask, they, curiously enough have catered for people changing chassis, engine etc...
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2005, 22:00:33 »
Quote from: "datalas"
I thought the DVLA points system would just about allow a chassis swap sans reregistering,

Nope, sorry :-(

Specific mention is made to swapping chassis for anything other than a new replacement from the vehicle manufacturer.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2005, 22:03:32 »
ahh... depends on "chassis swap"

sorry, wasn't really reading the thread  :oops:   I thought it was a "like for like", i.e. series chassis for a series chassis.  Again I though that "manufacturer" was a little oddly defined, as in a designa chassis would suffice..

still, I might be wrong as I hadn't investigated the options to any great degree, i.e. sufficient to actually think about doing it.
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2005, 22:21:17 »
"A new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer/manufacturer (e.g. receipt)"

You need to be able to prove that the new chassis is made to LR specs and is new.   Then you should be OK.

"If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a ESVA/SVA test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated."

So you can't do a chassis swap with a used chassis without an SVA.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2005, 22:27:32 »
Or use the registration of the donor chassis...

which is deemed vaugely acceptible, as I read it..

But, then it wouldn't be tax exempt, which, unless it's a rangie with a funny body shell a coiled motor woulnd't be anyhow...
--

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2005, 04:11:11 »
I had a rangerover with a 90 body until last week. insured as a rangerover with a 90 body for 250 fully comp with Adrian flux.
On a Q plate naturaly.
I did phone Norich union direct HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA| HA
quote me happy HA HA HA HA HA HA Ha HE HE HEEE HA  :(biggrin):  :(biggrin):  :(biggrin):  :(biggrin):

DM  :(bigsmoke):
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2005, 11:06:49 »
Yes you do find people like norwich union good for a laugh when you ask something like a landy, I had a toyota lite ace mpv a couple of years ago, it was an import, if i took their figure it would have been cheaper to drive around uninsured and no tax and accept the fines :?
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal