AuthorTopic: need a spot of advice  (Read 1624 times)

Offline tommy tipper

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
need a spot of advice
« on: May 18, 2009, 15:46:35 »
hi all, i am just getting in to off roading and i can get my hands on a Suzuki vitara i think its a l reg but not 100% on that but the reason i could do with some advice is it needs a new clutch in it and the hi low 4x4 2wd box behind the gear stick wont go in to any gear its like it has jumped out of something and is really lose and wobbly i don't know weather to put a new clutch in it and when doing so have a look at the box?? i have a friend who is not bad with some spanners but is it a big job to do and might i have to get a new 4x4 changer box if thats whats it called or can it be mended ?? thanks   [-o<

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Re: need a spot of advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 16:17:50 »
TT can you put your location in ur profile to see if we have any suzuki members ckose eho can give you a hand?

advice:
do you no any of the vitaras history? i.e has the 4x4 system ever been used?
to me it sounds like the stick has popped out of the t-case its on a bayonet cuppling
take the cover off from around the shifter and pop the little dust cover off the bottom of the stick(rubber cover thingy) the bayonet cuppling shud be nice and flush with the top if its hole

let us no or better take some pix

simon

Offline tommy tipper

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 16:47:24 »
hi, the guy who has the vitara before used to use it around the farm but he has no idea why it has gone like it has, i will get some pics hopefully tomorrow if i get chance and could it be put back in easly or could something be broken, thanks generation-x

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 19:44:57 »
tbh without lookin its hard to say when you say its wobbly can you lift it up quite a lot?

simon

Offline tommy tipper

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 21:28:25 »
tbh without lookin its hard to say when you say its wobbly can you lift it up quite a lot?

simon

well not really but does a bit, its a shame you dont live local as you seam the man to have a look at it

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 21:47:14 »

simon

well not really but does a bit, its a shame you dont live local as you seam the man to have a look at it

:oops: lol

as said above take the rubber cover off and have a look and take some pix

im assuming it wont engage 4x4 mode even if you hold it in place?

simon

Offline horsethief

Attack Member
  • Mootara say's show me the water
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 00:58:22 »
Just done clutch change on my vit,£75 for clutch recon from car shop.you need high lift jack,had mine on ramps and axle stands.not to too hard a job.2wd-4wd lever locks in place with a push down and quarter tun clockwise,with a coller on base of lever.Probley just come out.Take boot off and have a look,also be careful putting it back to get it in right place,I had three atempts,then when everything moved that was it.Haynes manual covers the job quite well.If you got garage and help should take about half day.Mine took two month outside over winter with no help :(
Now got some camacs and bfg a/ts can't get it stuck.Need longer legs.

Offline tommy tipper

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 20:44:05 »
had a bit of a look tonight, i took the rubber boot off and undid the 6 screws holding the metal plate on and it seemed to be still in place going in to a box but really wobblly and was like it was out of place? if i put it in to neutral would i be able to put it back in place bye turning it like you say??, think i might have to buy a Haynes manual to read a bit about it a bit more my friend said he wil do my clutch so thats no problem its just this bloody 4x4 2 wheel drive problem

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:13 »
If you log on to the forum on
www.difflock.com
ask in the suzuki section as no doubt some one will live nearby and have a look for you
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline horsethief

Attack Member
  • Mootara say's show me the water
2wd-4wd
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 20:23:47 »
The lever may have snapped,no prob really as long as you find the broken end.you'll get one from a scrappy.This lever and the main stick has to come out for the clutch change.the baynot fitting is just push down,quarter turn anti-clockwise on both.you will get a lot of oil when you pull front shaft.
Now got some camacs and bfg a/ts can't get it stuck.Need longer legs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal