AuthorTopic: HOT HUBS  (Read 1353 times)

Offline fram

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
HOT HUBS
« on: March 21, 2005, 22:48:56 »
Yes, it's us again with yet another problem.
This is how the story goes.

Took a trip to Asda earlier today, on the way the Zuke started to feel heavy on the steering and a bit sluggish, it actually felt like she was in four wheel drive. Stopped and had a fiddle with the old transfer leaver but made no difference. A bit further along the road I stopped at the traffic lights and had a terrible burning smell and saw smoke drifting over the bonnet, but wether that was from me or exhaust fumes from the car in front I can't be sure. When I arrived I had a good look around and couldn't see anything wrong so I thought I would just have a turn of the freewheeling hubs..... problem found.......one of the hubs was so hot I couldn't touch it.
Did my bit of shopping, got back to the Zuke and gave the offending hub several turn after which there was no problem.

Any ideas what could have been wrong? Is it possible that the hubs may need greasing up? Could there have been some muck in it from our last off road session?

Hope it's nothing serious as our local club has an off road weekend over Easter and we're really looking forward to it!!!
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

Offline clouseau

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 16:33:30 »
I think you've answered it yourself - i would go for either caliper stuck on (which would make it pull) or the front hub bearing seizing up.
Bill
Disco 300TDi - spec'ed up and ready to roll (not literally tho')
Suzuki Jimny (for sale)
Procomp suspension 3inch lift etc.
No engine!
1969 MGB GT (for sale)
Honda Fireblade 929

Offline fram

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 18:01:43 »
Thanks for that. Will have to try and find some time to give the hub a grease up before the weekend and hope that is all it needs!!!

Offline wifey

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 21:57:47 »
Quote from: "fram"
Thanks for that. Will have to try and find some time to give the hub a grease up before the weekend and hope that is all it needs!!!

:shock:  :shock:
have vivid image now; husband = hubs
you've given me an idea  :twisted:  :twisted:
cheers! 8)
tina
Shiny Blue Crew Disco 200 Tdi J236 RVM
as yet unamed (aww!) Defender 90 2.25D E50 KEH
thrive under pressure and seize the day!
www.thriveunderpressure.com

Offline fram

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 09:15:22 »
Will have to see if there is any spare time after sorting out the Zuke!!!! :lol:  :lol:

Offline wifey

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 10:22:12 »
first 4x4 I owned was a suzuki. Hubs 'persuaded' me to get rid of it when we hooked up b'cos of all the adverse publicity about them rolling over.
I didn't off-raod then - unless you can call taking the surf board (ah, mis-spent youf :twisted: ) to the shoreline off-roading.

ALmost went off the end of the world on Bodmin Moor in the fog once in it - but that's another story...
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline fram

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 14:20:24 »
I've never felt the slightest risk of the Zuke tipping over. Went through some quite bad muddy ruts laneing over the weekend and got a good lean on her, but she felt as solid as a rock, also no problems on the road. The only problem I do find is on smooth mud, we did find we were going sideways a fair few times, she skips over the top, whereas the landys dig in a bit more. Nearly got stuck once in some deep mud, but only because I'd forgoten to change into four wheel drive and it was DEEP mud. Managed to keep up with all the Solihull boys and got through what the Frontera's got stuck in so I was really chuffed with her. Also Hubby took her round the off-road course and had no probs with the bits some of the big boys were getting stuck on.
I used to own a Series III Landy which I loved, never off-roaded as she was much too good for that, more of a show wagon than a work horse. The Zuke is a completely different fish, great fun and equally as good on road as off and relatively cheap to run and maintain. I would certainly recommend the SJ to anyone wanting to get into off-roading and have some fun.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 17:19:38 »
and you are wondering why the hub is hot!!!!  :wink:

My son has a Samurai and has similar issues with the front brakes sticking on, usualy after an off road trip. This did cause the pads to wear very quickly, about half the thickness in 3 days!!!!

We now have it worked out for stripping them down, releasing the cylinder and back on the road within the hour.... We know for sure the bolts wont be rusty......
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline winchman

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 19:52:44 »
Suzuki published the tipping thing on there site and it was found that many other tipped first, I think too many people for got they where in a 4x4  and tipped them 8)
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline wifey

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 21:51:50 »
don't get me wrong - I didn't say I believed the roll-over tales. Hubs worried about me. But, as I said, I used to travel from Swindon to Newquay and back most weekends - rough penisula weather in winter.

I don't miss it as I love my Landie, but I'd certainly recommend it as an economical, fun 4x4 - especially for trialing in.
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline fram

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 08:40:01 »
Think you're right about the brakes Robbie, happened again yesterday. Is it an easy job? Been looking through the Haynes bible at looks easy enough. We're not too well practiced with mechanics, do you think we could manage it or should we leave it to the local garage?

Offline clouseau

Attack Member
HOT HUBS
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 13:02:42 »
Quote from: "fram"
Think you're right about the brakes Robbie, happened again yesterday. Is it an easy job? Been looking through the Haynes bible at looks easy enough. We're not too well practiced with mechanics, do you think we could manage it or should we leave it to the local garage?

Dead easy! Just take it all apart and then put it all back together in reverse order - no special tools required.

Make sure you clean the sliders carefully and the part of the caliper that the pad slides in scrape out all the loose rust and muck and use copperslip in these area's. If you intend to remove the pistons in the calipers for a check/clean, buy a new seal kit. Ensure that everything including your hands are clean, liberally cover the pistons in the grease provided in the kit (DO NOT use ordinary grease or copperslip as this will destroy the rubber making the seal) and place them all back together. If there is the slightest bit of muck or rust that slides in with the piston it will damage the new seal and/or cause the barkes to bind again. Dont forget when you bleed your brakes, make sure you wheels are on the ground (so that the load apportioning valve doesn't shut off fluid flow to the rear brakes) and start bleeding the furthest away from the mastercylinder.

Enjoy,
Bill
Bill
Disco 300TDi - spec'ed up and ready to roll (not literally tho')
Suzuki Jimny (for sale)
Procomp suspension 3inch lift etc.
No engine!
1969 MGB GT (for sale)
Honda Fireblade 929

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal