AuthorTopic: Failed MOT  (Read 678 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Failed MOT
« on: May 11, 2009, 16:52:52 »
Took the old girl for it's MOT today and it failed on six counts:

1. Nearside stop lamp not working (1.3.2a)......sorted new bulb

2. Offside headlamp aim too low (1.6)......waiting for the dark to come to try and align

3. Front (both) seatbelts cut. causing fibres to separate (5.1.B.2a).....they are slightly damaged from trapping in the door locks most likely...new belts ordered.

4. Front brake disks excessively scored (3.5.1H)..pads get eaten offroading and I have had some metal to metal pickup on returning from playing, the pads seem only to last about 20hours in the mud...if that...the rears are scored as well but passed???..new front disks ordered

5. Nearside real wheel bearing feels rough when rotated (2.6.1)....was full of muddy crap , sorted new bearing and inner seal fitted

6. Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.1b)......I have an X-brake fitted, it seems the the grease lubricating inside the caliper part of the X-brake has contaminated the pads and the disk.. I have fitted new pads and cleaned all traces of grease from the disk AND inside the caliper assembly with brake clean> I took the caliper apart and it has 3 ball bearings about 5/8" dia running in 3 radial grooves which increase in depth making the cam action when rotated. Ive reassembled it dry and also tagged the fixed pad with the mig in 3 places to stop it rattling..time will tell if it starts to sieze...I don't think it will as the shaft though the body is not exactly a precision fit.

Anyway no welding was needed...I thought it may have failed on the prop uj's as well but it didn't.....So the wide angle prop can wait.... Work commitments mean I can't get the retest done until next monday
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
Re: Failed MOT
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 17:49:20 »
U UJ (provided its not on the verge of disintegrating) is only an advisory, not a failure, but still well worth replacing before IT fails! Bad luck, but at least there was nothing seriously wrong.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 19:51:57 »
I didnt know you could fail on the position of a headlamp.
Im convinced that that is the one thing that they can adjust in the test for you, mine always has :?
Unlucky with the rest though, it is always the little things :oops:
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 21:34:10 »
I didnt know you could fail on the position of a headlamp.
Im convinced that that is the one thing that they can adjust in the test for you, mine always has :?
Unlucky with the rest though, it is always the little things :oops:

im sure theres something about that in lro when they finished rebuilding their 90, and a picture of them adjusting it in the station
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline corrosiverob

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:07:42 »
I just Mot'd mine yesterday and i have recently changed the adjusters for the head lights, the tester was happy to give me 5min time during the test with his fancy lense thing to set them up.... he even helped out at some point.
Now defendered up!

Click below!

www.sniff-my-diff.com

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal