AuthorTopic: driver space: lightweight LR v's regular SWB  (Read 4082 times)

Offline karoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
driver space: lightweight LR v's regular SWB
« on: April 29, 2009, 13:42:52 »
can anyone tell me what the space for the driver is like in a lightweight landrover? i'm 6'3" and a big bloke in many other directions :) i've two different landys recently and found the following:

s2a SWB landrover, series3 style dash and deluxe trim seats: rather too close to live with, mainly not being able to get my feet onto the brake & clutch pedals because the steering wheel was pinning my legs down, also clearance between me and the steering wheel is a problem

s3 LWB pickup, standard dash, standard wheel, deluxe seats: much better.. only real issue was with the higher style handbrake being rather intimate with my left calf

so, is there anyone on here who could give me an idea of what a lightweight cabin is like by comparison.. or is there any bigger people on here that drive lightweights?

:D

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
Re: driver space: lightweight LR v's regular SWB
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 14:27:53 »
I'm 6', and I would say medium build and can drive the LWT with a stock steering wheel and the original seats -these help as they are VERY utilitarian in comparison to the 'deluxe' seats you talk of, but probably not as comfortable....

The handbrake is a handy resting place for my left leg though :)
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 22:12:01 »
You are a bit further back, as said the thin backrest on a l/w helps, on girth diameter, I have a mounteny steering wheel and have no probs, the original one just kept getting polished on my shirt

obviously you dont have all the plastic dash bits in your way up front, the seating dont have any frame adjustment, just a base on the seat box, some cant get comfortable driving them, myself I get back ache in a modern car but no probs in a lightweight

Best thing you can do is try one and see for yourself
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline karoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:24 »
thanks for the answers guys :)

I'm thinking that possibly a small steering wheel would be in order if i got one.. i've had a go in my father's 107 pickup the other day and I can *just* fit in that but the steering wheel pretty much connects with my legs and chest, so saying it was easier than my brother's 110.. before we got a set of mud rails i couldn't use the brake pedal without opening the door :D

just concerned that the military cab in a lightweight might be even smaller than a s2/s3 swb cab..

Best thing you can do is try one and see for yourself

well yes, but that could be fraught with danger and embarrassment.. what if i got stuck!
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 15:33:46 »
wierd...  i'm 6' 3" with a 36" inside leg and fit in my 2a with Defender seats no bother at all with a standard wheel...

'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 22:32:59 »
Lightweight obviously has no dash which gives more space, im 6 foot and legs have to go either side of sterring column, but lack of dash is the only real difference, u can always remove the rear bulkhead with a removal bar, get a few more inches of space.
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:26 »
wierd...  i'm 6' 3" with a 36" inside leg and fit in my 2a with Defender seats no bother at all with a standard wheel...

X2 I'm 6'6", 40" inside leg and get in LWB pickup, standard seats and SWB hard top with deluxe seats no problem.
Pull my finger :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal