AuthorTopic: Will this cause low oil pressure  (Read 544 times)

Offline Ollie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Will this cause low oil pressure
« on: April 13, 2009, 20:10:02 »
After replacing my ZEUS timing gears with standard LR timing belt, I had a low oil pressure warning light on at idle.
A few hundred miles later I had a rumbling engine.

I've stripped the engine out and the main and big end bearings will need replacing. The piston bores look OK though.
Now, how did this happen :-k

At the front end of the engine block, there appears to be two core plugs that block the oil system.
I think that ZEUS as part of their conversion tap a thread into it and place an oil screw in their to feed the ZEUS gears. When I replaced these gears, I didn't 'plug' this hole, (2 in the picture). One other thing I did was to put a new oil pump on.
Soooo, could this umplugged hole have caused the problem? Can new oil pumps be 'duff'?

Here's a picture;
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 16:06:04 by ChrisW70 »
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Will this cause low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 16:02:04 »
|WOW, that's a big hole in the middle.  the top one looks like it runs form the camshaft which should be runing in oil at pump pressure.  Where is the bottom one fed form?

Anyhoo, that hole looks a bit too biug to keep the oil back, were they covered when the Zuess gears were on there?

I'd have said that the holes needed plugging to stop oil contaminating the new belt too.

Are the Zuess gears lubricated total loss (is the oil recovered or wasted).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal