AuthorTopic: Body Swap  (Read 2615 times)

Offline fram

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Body Swap
« on: March 15, 2005, 08:40:49 »
Hi All,
Has anyone out there done a body swap on an SJ?
Although ours is structually and mechanically sound, the old tin worm has got a good hold on it so we're thinking of looking for a donnor with a good body and doing a swap. We have a couple of mates that are mechanics and would do the job for us at a good price, but if it is not too difficult we would have a go ourselves.
Any advice?
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:32:49 »
I think as long as you are technically compitent and you have somewhere warm to work ( it will probably take days) I dont think it is too bad. I did come across a site on the web (cant find it now) who sold new bodies for around £1000 or so.

Looking in the manual it is fastened by a series of bolts to the chassis. Simply (famous last words!!) take everything linking the body to the chassis and then remove the bolts. The body should then become two parts.

Have fun and let us know how you get on. It might be cheaper and easier in the long run to get something with a good body and put the good mechanical bits onto that one, that is the way we are thinking of doing it. That way, (simply because you can do a days work on it) one of the cars can almost always remain working and you dont lose your transport too.... Just a thought

There is a guy on here who will probably respond who has put a X90 body on a (I think, but could be wrong) Suzuki chassis so might be able to tell you more (Simon31Cozy)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:21:06 »
Cheers Robbie,
It's Rhino Ray's that do the new bodies for £1000, that includes fitting. It's one option that we're thinking of, saves alot of messing around looking for a donnor then getting rid of the bits you don't want afterwards!! (We would have to find some storage space as we don't even have a driveway, all adds to the cost).  Had a look on their web site last night and they're out of stock at the moment, but I should think they'll get some more in before long.
Just going to have a word with our mate who runs his own garage to get some sort of ball park price from him, but it might be just as easy to go to Ray's, we want to do a body lift at the same time, so get the whole job done and no hassle.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 13:11:17 »
Makes sense, have fun whichever way you go and dont forget to take loads of piccies for on here :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Body Swap
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 20:58:56 »
robbie is correct in wot he is sayin only 10 bolts hold an sj body to its chassis plus any bits of wiring that goes to the chassis,steerin arm, and other odds and sods but as long as ur half mechanicly minded it shud take u a weekend to sort

although bless him(robbie that is) the x-90 is a suzuki m8y just a bubble body on a vitara chassis

simon

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 21:55:31 »
thanks for the blessing Simon :)

I thought it was on a suitable chassis and I knew if I had it wrong, you  would put us right

:)

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 20:21:27 »
The real problem seems to be finding a good donnor without paying over the odds. At least if we go for the Rino Ray's option we know we are getting a good rust free body which should have some sort of guarantee on it. I know it's alot to spend on a vehicle which is going off-road, but it is also a safety thing, not just cosmetic, a few dents and scratches you can live with, the ammount of rust ours has it is likely to collapse if it gets knocked too hard (!!!) and as I use it as en everyday vehicle it does need to be relatively resilliant (spelling).

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 22:34:11 »
Stick a blitz body on it... loads of fun :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 08:12:27 »
That's another thing we were thinking of. The problem is we also need a practical vehicle that has room in the back for two fair sized lurchers. It's a bit of a squeeze for them now......supose we could just put their leads round the tow hitch!!!!

Knotty

SJ Body
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 22:58:47 »
I am a new member and found myself reading your posts on bodywork problems. I am in the last throws of a full overhaul on my 1986 SJ413. The rolling chassis is done and Ive just turned the shell on it's side on a trailer.......... WELL theres rust and more rust. So tonight I started building a complete new floor pan in box steel and galv plate......wish me luck !!  :shock:

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 16:47:14 »
Good luck Knotty, sorry, but been too busy to get on the forum of late and only just got your post!!
Mine seems sound on the underside. It,s had a couple of plates put on in the past, but I think the rust patches have been caught early enough to stop the "plague" spreading!!
It's the body panels which are totally shot on mine!! It's literally held together with checker plate!!! Keep waiting for the tailgate to fall off....a case of stand well back when opening!!!
Really hard to find a good body for a tin top, plenty of rag tops around, but I just like that extra bit of security, not only because it's parked on the road at night, but also if I was to leave my dogs in a rag top for 30 seconds they'd chew their way out!!!
Let us know how you get on and post some pics to show us what you're doing. If you're ever around Lincoln way and fancy another Zuke to work on, just to keepyour hand in (!!!) you know where to find us!!!!
 :lol:  :lol: Jen

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 16:53:14 »
Just seen the pics!!!! Be nice to see it when it's all done. Got any plans for the body. If you decide to do some extra wide arches would be interested to see, getting fed up with eating mud!!!

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Body Swap
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 20:47:10 »
fram get onto ebay and find some d90 arches they will do ya

simon

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 09:57:22 »
Cheers Simon,
Will have a nose and see what I come up with.

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 12:38:59 »
What about this one!
Looks real cool to me. Tried to post a picture but it's too big so have a look on http://www.scampmotorcompany.co.uk/detailm4.html

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Body Swap
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 22:25:33 »
fram
just so happens ive come across a set of 4 d90 arches allready cut down for an sj u interseted?

simon

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 08:47:04 »
Might well be Simon,
How much?
Not that rich at the moment (well....never am!!), but if I can spare the cash I'll have them.
Cheers

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Body Swap
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 20:13:24 »
fram
pm sent m8y

simon

Offline Foden34ke12

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 16:33:40 »
I think you should blitz it...  :P

Offline fram

Attack Member
Body Swap
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 20:15:39 »
Would love to, but not practical for me as it is kept on the road......maybe in the furure!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal