AuthorTopic: 200tdi alternator  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi alternator
« on: February 02, 2009, 16:43:51 »
My defender eats alternators, this weekend has seen the expiration of my second one in 6 months...I don't suppose the grits of Avon Dasset and Sibbertoft help in the longevity of the things, even though I wash the underside in Lawford ford usually driving around and sitting stationary in it for 1/4 hour or so, the underside of my 90 comes out nearly spotless 9 times out of 10. During  the "washing" the battery warning  light comes on indicating the alts under the water and not producing anything and the goes out shortly after clearing the river..my thinking is this washes the crud out of the alternator and is done by me deliberately.

Anyway the replacements on the way, but this time I'm having a standard 127/65 amp one at £70 delivered instead of a 90 amp rewind at £120 a pop. The winch is only rarely used and I plan on dumping the split charge in favour of a single HD battery perhaps an optima..red or yellow?

OK after the history here's the question:

Has anybody managed to relocate their alternator higher up, perhaps where the aircon pump is on a aircon model?...mines non aircon.. any pics or sketches would be helpful.

Thanx in advanx

Ian

Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: 200tdi alternator
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:08:30 »
It's common practice to locate a 2nd alternator where the AC compressor usually goes. If you just relocate the Alt to that position might be a good idea. Sorting the belts out might be fun though.

Les.

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 17:26:18 »
Easy repair,stay out of the water. Alternaters dont like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 20:16:11 »
Easy repair,stay out of the water. Alternaters dont like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite right..anybody want a 2nd hand snorkle and wading kit?LOL.

I think its is more of whats suspended in the water, rather than the water itself whats doing the damage

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 22:03:29 »
Water in the end washes out the bearing grease in the alternator so their life is shortened in that regard as well as the grinding paste effect of mud.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 17:50:33 »
Muddy water dries and stops the carbon brushes from contacting the armature. Sometimes a good soaking with WD40 will release them and the alternator will work once again. Regulator packs can fail, and in a lot of cases this is a replaceable item.
It might be worth your while to learn how to remove/refit the brush pack from an alternator. Regulators are cheaper than a whole alternator as well, so you could easily keep one alternator going. If it spins ok with no play, then it's worth repairing.

Les.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 19:53:04 »
I fitted the replacement this afternoon, the one that came off has completely knackered bearings....in fact the shaft has nearly 1/4" of endfloat and about 1/16th of radial play... it was making a hell of a row with the engine running, but suprisingly still giving 14.4 volts.

I suppose I'll just have to treat them as a consumable....can't keep out of the mud soup can we? :lol:

I'm still going to try and suss getting it mounted up higher.....stupid place for an alternator near the bottom of an engine on an offroader. imho

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 20:14:43 »

I'm still going to try and suss getting it mounted up higher.....stupid place for an alternator near the bottom of an engine on an offroader. imho

It's surely above the standard max wading depth though so can't really blame LR on that one. I have stopped going into the deep mud puddles on the Plains now as its like grinding paste and just nukes alternators, steering pumps, tension pulley etc bearings and I can't keep forking out for them every 5 minutes. Unless it's clean or I have no choice I will go around.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 20:20:27 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Nobber

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 14:54:50 »
it probably just needs cleaned. be careful with wd40 though , it might strip the bearings of their grease.
if it isent broke , whack it with a hammer ,

Offline Sabo

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 18:27:04 »
Hi

Did you ever get to moving the alternator higher, I'd like to move mine.  My alternator died today (was on way out) the first small ford I went through and the red light came on after that I was relying on the battery for greenlaning only just got home!
I know I should have replaced it before but had no time!

Dave
Sabo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal