AuthorTopic: Glow Plugs  (Read 3468 times)

Offline BigSi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Glow Plugs
« on: January 16, 2009, 21:44:14 »
How many glow plugs do I need for a 1997 Colarado 3.0TD? And how easy are they to change, what tools are required?  :-k :-k :-k :-k
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

Offline paul_humphreys

Attack Member
Re: Glow Plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 21:21:12 »
You will need 4, but I have never changed them so I do not know how hard it is to change them.

Paul
LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with wheel carrier and winch mount.

http://www.crag-uk.org

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 15:16:28 »
Just bought a set of Champion Glow Plugs for £27!  :D

So next question is, how do I change them? What torque should they be, do I use copper grease on the screw threads, and should the engine be hot?  :-k
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

Offline propes

Attack Member
  • THE VOICES MADE ME DO IT OFFICER!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 18:15:52 »

Hi, ive changed a set on a surf so cant see that it would be too different. Firstly disconnect the battery then undo the nuts on top of the glowplugs,these hold the positive feed bar that joins the glowplugs to the positive side of the relay. Take a note of how it all goes or a couple of photos for reference. Once all the nuts are off lift the bar/strap off you might have to remove turbo hose to make it a bit easier! Next take a deep 1/4" socket and unscrew all of the glowplugs and replace with the new ones,i did use a thin smear of copperease and just nipped the glowplugs as i would a sparkplug, i find "feel" better on some things better than a torque wrench having had a few cam cap bolts snap with a torque wrench on motorcycle engines.Just replace everything as it was and jobs done. Check the fuse in the glowplug timer relay as the one i had done for a friend had blown causing the sympton of knackered glowplugs! Hope this helps and good luck. regards martin.
Polish the towel of life to reflect the acidic doorstop! Big brother is watching he drives a freelander.....You have been warned!!!!!

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 16:18:58 »
Thats great, many thanks propes. When I get a dry and sunny day, I'll have a bash!

Did you remove the intake pipe?

Offline propes

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 16:05:44 »
yes mate just so you can get a better view, mind you it was a surf of my mates muddyboots so most of the bits fell off lol only joking daaaave!!! Honestly its really a piece of cake just take a couple o photos just in case of brain fade!
Polish the towel of life to reflect the acidic doorstop! Big brother is watching he drives a freelander.....You have been warned!!!!!

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:40:32 »
Knowing my luck, I will finish the job, and have a hand full of screws left! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline propes

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:51:38 »
Ha ha whats known in the trade as "chuck bolts"! Seriously a colleague of mine from the refrigeration trade used to throw a handfull of mixed nuts and bolts into the box before he started stripping a £5000 compressor so if there was anything left over at the end of a rebuild he didnt worry....... and im not joking!!! regards

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal