AuthorTopic: VAT to be cut by 2.5%!!  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Disco Matt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: VAT to be cut by 2.5%!!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 00:39:38 »
The worrying part about that is that we have seen falling voter turn-outs for some time, as people have become politically apathetic (presumably because the two big parties are now more or less identical...). People have died for the right to vote, and now people can't be bothered to go into town and put a cross on a bit of paper?  :evil:

Of course, it suits politicians as they can always mobilise enough supporters to ensure the result they want. Danger is, it also works well for the minority extremist groups as they don't need many votes to tip things their way...
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 18:19:41 »
They're talking about a 45% income tax band for people earning £150k plus to fund it - don't think that will affect many of us, but it'll do a nice job on the bankers who are responsible for the whole mess!  :lol:
Contrary to common belief, very few "bankers" get huge salaries.

The source of the current problem isn't British based - it comes from America where their interest rates were kept artificially low for a very long time. This meant that people who wouldn't ordinarily be able to borrow money were able to - unfortunately, being the type of people who can't ordinarily get credit, they bit off more than they could chew and couldn't replay the loan.

It doesn't matter how many times you say "your home is at risk if you don't keep up repayments" if the people doing the borrowing don't fully understand the implications - and before you say "well they shouldn't have been lent the money then", how do you prove that you understand the risk? Sign the agreement? That's what they did.

A bank is a bit like a fountain - money is constantly flowing in, while some is pouring out the bottom. As long as the amount coming in matches the money flowing out, all is well.

The money going out is made up of people withdrawing money, drawing mortgages and loans, and other banks borrowing money to make sure their own fountain keeps flowing.

If the money coming in dries up, then because money is still flowing out eventually it runs dry.

The banks stopped lending to each other because they had nothing to guarantee the loans. Until then, Bank A asked for a loan and Bank B said "OK, but what are you going to secure it against in case you can't repay it?" and Bank A offered it's mortgages - usually a safe option because people aren't going to risk losing their homes by not paying up.

Once lots of people stopped repaying their mortgages, Bank A was offering mortgages as security (like your house is for your mortgage) but Bank B said "Err... nope. Not accepting those now", so Bank A can't get the loan.

Net result: the current situation.

There are lots of other things that have contributed in one way or another to it - you can't put the blame on any one of them. Yes, there were greedy people working in banks, but there were greedy people pushing up the price of houses too. And greedy estate agents who got bigger commissions. And greedy mortgage brokers who encouraged people to borrow more than they ought... You get the idea.

Sorry for the long (and dull) post, but I hope it's explained, at least in part, what's been going on.

The bank I work for has been nationalised, is being broken up and sold off. I may or may not have a job when I come back after Christmas - time will tell.
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 22:32:32 »
Interesting what they "slip in" while the headlines focus on "CUT IN VAT RATE" & "TAX ON THE 'SUPER RICH' ANNOUNCED"

So the government are cutting VAT on fuel, but adding +2p per litre in duty. Assuming that the +2p duty is applied net of VAT, as they are two different taxes on the same commodity, I decided to "do the maths" as the Ameriscans say ........

Whilst at Tescos tonight, I noted the fuel prices and "did the maths"

Unleaded Fuel
Currently 89.9 ppl (76.51p net of 17.5% VAT)

What will it be once the new duty is added? 78.51p+15% VAT = 90.29 ppl An increase of 0.39 ppl

DERV
Currently 104.9 ppl (89.28 net of 17.5% VAT)
What will it be from Monday? 91.29p +15% VAT = 104.97 ppl Slight increase of 0.07 ppl

Hmmm ..............
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline zebidee

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 09:26:18 »
They're talking about a 45% income tax band for people earning £150k plus to fund it - don't think that will affect many of us, but it'll do a nice job on the bankers who are responsible for the whole mess!  :lol:
Contrary to common belief, very few "bankers" get huge salaries.

Good Summary KTM ... I work for one of the big investment banks in one of their Tech teams - I get paid a good salary, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the £75,000 that gets bandied about the newspapers that say everyone working for a bank gets.

It really gets my goat (meh!) that the press post all this stuff about "greedy bankers" having their Christmas parties and spending all the cash - actually all entertaining for staff was previously closely controlled with a maximum of $20/head (about £13).

So what happens now ... all Christmas parties are suspended ... what's the effect? The hotels & bars don't get as much business - get cancellations at the last minute so can't rebook. The hotels end up making less money over Christmas so come the New Year - the hotels & bars have to let people go to keep afloat (or they actually do go under).

Those people then start claiming unemployment (higher demand upon Govt spending) and are spending less, driving less, so the shops, petrol stations & garages are making less money.

Just heard from my mates yesterday they'd be getting laid off come May once their project runs out - their redundancy'll carry them through to December next year if they don't get something else ... by which time the country might be at the bottom of the dip.

Have a nice weekend

:)

Z~
----
Discovery 3 TDV6 XS
Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TD

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 13:12:37 »
Yes. I think the sweeping statements made by the press leave the public thinking the entire banking industry is to blame. In reality, it is certain people within certain departments of certain banks that can, and should, be held accountable for their irrisponsible behaviour.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal