AuthorTopic: air con question  (Read 344 times)

Offline lurch_917

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
  • Referrals: 0
air con question
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:50 »
does  any body out here know if its possible to change the front pully and bearings on the pump or is it going to be another pump as i dont want to get rid of it as its handy for drieing the carpets after they get wet
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: air con question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:25 »
Yes it is possible, but I had no luck whatsoever with pressing the new bearing into the pulley. The main dealer quoted £140 for a new pulley/bearing (fitted) so I may go back and ask them how much they want to just supply the pulley as it's a really simple DIY fit.

Here is how to remove the pulley:

Loosen drive belt tensioner
Remove three nuts securing metal shield to top of compressor and remove shield
Undo and remove the bolt in the centre of the pulley, then gently pull the round plate out. Be very careful as there is a washer (possibly more than one, mine only had one) inside the barrel that fits into the compressor, do not lose them.

You will now be able to see the pulley and bearing. Remove the circlip, and you should be able to gently persuade the pulley to come off. Don't hit it with a big hammer or use anything too extreme - mine came off with plenty of Plusgas and some gentle levering with a screwdriver between compressor body and pulley. At this point you can obtain a new bearing for £40 or so, but as I said I tried to replace it and only succeeded in damaging the new bearing seal and contaminating the ballraces, so it made an equally annoying whining noise on reassembly.

Unless you have a proper engineering workshop at your disposal I would be more inclined to ask how much the main dealer wants for the part - the £140 quote probably included an hour's labour so it should be cheaper to just buy the component.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:36:44 »
thanks matt my local landrover   place dosent  list the part but will phone a few more
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:21 »
if it the same bit im thinking of i had a nice chap do mine lurch, had to by the bearing from that place in northampton i forgot the name exactly premier bearings or summat they sell em i have one left in the shed still ill sort the number for ya if u like
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal