AuthorTopic: What transfer box will fit?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline tjolliffe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What transfer box will fit?
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:51:51 »
Hi guys,
I've currently got a RRC with a Chrysler 3 speed auto box in it running a Schuler Ferguson transfer box. I'm looking to take out the Ferguson box and put in a Borg Waner, does anyone know if it will fit on the back of the Chrysler auto box?
Cheers

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
Re: What transfer box will fit?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 15:01:28 »
Not sure on that one, but if you are doing all the work to change the transfer why not put a 4 speed ZF on the front of the BW plenty of those about, I have one lying in the barn,, came out of a Rangie but with an LT230 on it.
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 23:53:39 »
Question is WHY, the Schuler box has a 60/40 split and a viscous coupling, so unless it's FUBAR it should be a better box on-road and just as good off.

Now, the Chrysler 3 speed was available with the LT230 box, which is interchangeable with the Borg-Warner, though if memeory serves it had a very high ratio on the 3 speed to make up for the lack of cruising speed, so your 1st becomes like my 2nd, your 3rd my top (without lock-up).

I'd agree that a far smoother, quieter box would be found in the ZF 4-speed, with better performance off-raod, better cruising with the lock-up and far less agricultural. Ultimately not as strong though but you're unlikely to bust a ZF in a RRC.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 19:54:31 »
sorry to hijack, but can someone explain what this lockup is on an auto box? cheers
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 21:25:05 »
Sure.
The ZF box has 4 descrete ratios, 1st-4th, governed by speed and engine load/throttle position ok ;)

When the road speed is above 53mph and the load light, the torque converter (fluid coupling between engine and box) has a further clutch in it that locks up, so the transmissionbecomes like a manual with no slipping and the engine and road speeds tied together, ie the engine roves don't suddenly climb when you hit the gas.  If you kickdown in this condiont the gearbox drops straight to 3rd.

Some people refer to it as a 5th gear, which when it engages it does feel like another gear.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 19:59:30 »
Sure.
The ZF box has 4 descrete ratios, 1st-4th, governed by speed and engine load/throttle position ok ;)

When the road speed is above 53mph and the load light, the torque converter (fluid coupling between engine and box) has a further clutch in it that locks up, so the transmissionbecomes like a manual with no slipping and the engine and road speeds tied together, ie the engine roves don't suddenly climb when you hit the gas.  If you kickdown in this condiont the gearbox drops straight to 3rd.

Some people refer to it as a 5th gear, which when it engages it does feel like another gear.

Mine doesn't lock up much then as I dont really drive over 40 mph
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal