AuthorTopic: Isle of Skye Trip  (Read 2582 times)

Offline bigwood

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Isle of Skye Trip
« on: September 22, 2008, 13:08:39 »
I have just had a week on the Isle of Skye and would like to pass on some of my travel notes that may be of interest to other travelers. The route I took is not all my idea but I will pass it on . Starting from the N/E corner of Lincolnshire A180/M180/M18/M62/A1. That's the not so special bit out of the way. At Leeming services A684 to Leyburn then out on to the moors heading for Reeth to join the B6270 as far as Kirby Stephen. A beautiful drive across the Yorkshire dales with lots of places to stop and take breaks and have lunch. A685 to the M6 north bound to theA74/M74.
We spent the first nite in Dumbarton, do not do the Glasgow bit in the rush hour, it an intresting bit of navigating as it was. Next day A82 along the shores of Loch Lomond and into Glen Coe heading for Fort William. I have walked this area in the past but it still amazes me every time I go back, it is beautiful.
Rather than going all the way to Fort William we took the ferry across the Corran Narrows and followed the A861 round to the A830 at Lochailort. This section is well worth the extra milage if only  for its scenery. Quite a lot of this is single track so don't try and rush things. We made it to Mallaig in plenty of time for the 1800 ferry.
Whilst on Skye we stayed at a place called Dunorin House Hotel near Dunvegan. A little exspesive but with views down the Loch at breakfast it was worth it.
I would recommend the Sligachan Hotel for its pub grub. The hotel has a bunk house barn type dinning room serving really nice food at reasonable prices. Skye is best done with a Landrover not just because of the hills but you can see over the walls and get in passing places before some one with a camper van blocks the road trying to squeeze past you !!.
Coming back we crossed the Skye Bridge and took A890 as far as the A832 at Achnasheen then the A832/ A835 heading for Inverness and Loch Ness. Rather than going onto the A9 we followed the Loch to Spean Bridge and then over the top to the A9. Another nice area and worth the divertion.
Next nite we stayed south of Perth, not so good. Musty old hotel and only us and five staff . :huh:
Next nite we stayed at a place called Wark just north of Hexham. I would recommend the Battlesteads Hotel. Lots things to see and do in the area, mostly Roman of course.
Our last full day was spent at Beemish open air museum. Getting my other half down the coal mine was the highlite of the day.
Finally we stayed at an old haunt of ours in Thirsk before coming back on the Sunday.
An exalant holiday the week after the head gasket blew on the Disco, 1,350 miles in total. Just need to put the exhaust on better, it rattles on idle, and do an oil change.
Any questions about the holiday or route please ask. :D :D :D
Old Landrovers dont die they just fade to a red oxide colour.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal