AuthorTopic: Fuel gauge fluctuates  (Read 652 times)

Offline fatbaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel gauge fluctuates
« on: September 17, 2008, 00:13:32 »
The fuel gauge on my RRC has started acting up.  Driving along and everything is normal, say half tank.  Then after a bump in the road or rounding a corner the needle climbs and stays at maybe 3/4 or full, then maybe several bumps or corners later all goes back to where it should be. This happens intermittantly.

Checks so far; wiring and connections are very good (all inside car). Removing the wires from the sender unit causes the gauge to drop to empty, shorting the wires togehter causes the gauge to read full.  I think the stabilised voltage is OK because the temp guage stays where it normally runs. Had the sender unit out of the tank and put a meter on it and we have vari-ing continuity depending on the position of the float approx 20 ohms on empty and 50 ohms on full.

The unit looks to be original (1988) and has some slack in the pivot point though the wiper stays in contact with the windings when its moved up and down.

Anybody had this before or know the fix or what else can be done to diagnose the fault.  Don't want to throw bits at it unnecessarily.

Stuart  :sad:
Endevour to keep the greasy side down

ben_haynes

Re: Fuel gauge fluctuates
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 00:17:17 »
i would say it is the contact in the sender

Offline fatbaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Fuel gauge fluctuates
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:52 »
Thanks Ben, I was hoping it wasn't.

Anybody got one kicking about I could try or buy?
Endevour to keep the greasy side down

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal