AuthorTopic: Air con drain holes?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Air con drain holes?
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:49:54 »
Does any one know where the water drains out from the air con on my 1994 Range Rover. When ever I have the air con on I thought that a puddle of water should appear from underneath somewhere but I don't seem to have one. I'm worried that it is going somewhere it shouldn't!

Thanks all

Jonny

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
Re: Air con drain holes?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:28:21 »

I assume its the same as the Disco, mine has two pipes with rubber valves on them underneath, one each side of the transmission tunnel, near the front of the gearbox.

you can either just squeeze the valves to get you arm covered in black stinky water or pull the valves off the pipes, you still get an arm full of nasty gunk either way though.  ;)

Dont forget to put the rubber valves back on.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 22:17:43 »
Well I have had a look Frankie and found the two drain holes you described, I've pulled them both out and they are both dry, one had a bit of crap in it and the other was clear. I ran the air con for 5 mins or so and no water came out at all.... have I got the right ones? how long does the air con have to run before water starts to come out?

Thanks again

Jonny

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 23:23:16 »
The tubes ar equite long and can get full of muck/dog hair etc nearer the top.  You could either try cleaning tem from below using some stiffish wire or check they are open by pouring water into the condenser withing the heater matrix.  I'm not sure where that is on a hard dash though but on a softie it's in the middle of the dash.

Does your air conn get cold?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 22:02:29 »
Hey there RRB, Yes it does get cold, I tested it the other day and with the temperature about 15c outside it wold drop to about 8c without recirculating on and down to about 6c with it on. I asked a garage that does air con servicing and they said that's about right. You say that the condenser is in the middle of the dash...... that sounds like its difficult to get to! Can I put the air gun in the drain holes underneath and give it a good blast or will I damage something? I think that I have a leak from my heater matrix so I could have a look when I replace that....... that might be a while as its only losing about a litre every 1000 miles which I don't mind topping up at the moment!

Just fitted EBC sports disc's and green stuff pads on the front........ should stop now!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:36:19 »
I'm not entirely sure of the layout within the dash but the cold air rad (condenser I think) is ahead of the hot air rad which in your case leaks.  The cold air rad if the A/C part and it gets so cold the water condenses on it, then runs into a tray then out of the bottom of the car.  Does yours get wet carpets when the A/C is on?

If I turn mine off I often find the windscreen mists up, this is normal and my Micra does it too, but you should find small amounts of water under the car when it's been left.  I also had to clear the drain tubes as the ends had stuck together, I got a facefull :doh:

You could try low pressure air from underneath as there are no valves to damage but I'm not sure what it would tell you.

BTW, if you have a hard dash then the above is not striclty correct, the air con is in the LHS of the dash and can be accessed by partly dismantling the dash board.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal