AuthorTopic: DO YOU CARRY A ROAD ATLAS?  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Boddle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
Re: DO YOU CARRY A ROAD ATLAS?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:18 »
 Yes, But I haven't a clue where now, Mainly as I have a PC with memory-map on

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 19:20:54 »
Just been out to buy a new road atlas as when I first read this thread I checked the date on the old one :oops: :oops:

only about 10 years out of date  :lol: :lol:

£2.99 Halfrauds ;)
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 22:19:57 »
Yes got one in the back seat pocket.

I'm still being technophobic about a Sat-Nav device jobby. And the laptop is a little bulky to take around with me connected to the GPS.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline EbonynIvory

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 17:10:14 »
I don't think the manufacturers help by putting such a commanding voice on them,

What sort of voice would you like then? A low husky sexy one?!  :shock:

Offline EbonynIvory

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 17:23:10 »
I'm still with the "plan the route out before hand", if I have I'm going to a place that I have never been before. Pen, paper and map. I still have a brain (I fink!) and like to use it.

I have a standard road atlas and several OS maps. I'm more likely to get lost when I'm out on the horse! Which I have done!  :doh:

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 01:31:41 »
i do 70-80k a year and never carry a map with me. sometimes i have a sat-nav but it's only to tell me where the speed cams are :lol:

Offline Terranger

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 11:05:25 »
I always carry an atlas. Mainly because;
A) I don't want to arrive in a dodgy area where I'm unfamiliar with, and get my sat nav nicked,
and
B) I don't trust their reliability, due to the fact satellites can only give you a bird's eye view of the route you're taking. (Or has technology passed me by...,again?)

Anyway, isn't it nice to pull over, get the map out,  pour a beverage and peruse an atlas, then carry on your journey?

2008 DEFENDER 110 DCPU XS
1984 RRC PICK UP
"SOD THE OZONE, I'M HAVIN' FUN AND THE WEATHER'S LOVELY"!!

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 14:41:57 »
Anyway, isn't it nice to pull over, get the map out,  pour a beverage and peruse an atlas, then carry on your journey?

Yes, Take a few minutes to look round even get out and walk round. The reason I use Memory - Map is that it doesn't tell you where to go (unless Flightless is navigating for me), I still have to work out where I'm going before hand(which Steve has forgotten on a few occassions).
 Although I do still believe most of the issues with Sat Navs has to do with people  not setting them up correctly (setting which roads they prefer to use)

Offline Terranger

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 15:11:05 »
Yes, I carry an atlas.
I don't own a sat-nav, as they're unreliable.
November 2008, I'd decided to go to a 4x4 show in Perth, Australia.
My sister set up the satnav, and we got lost. My passengers, my Nephew, and his mate, had no idea where we were.
I delved into the glovebox and took out the tourist streetmap in the hired car, and followed that, which took me within 1/4 mile of the area I needed, and then we followed, the 4x4 enthusiasts to the park.
Considering it was my first time, ever, in Perth, I did rather well.

One of my colleagues was sent on a private hire, (I'm a bus driver, btw), to Aberdeen. He was to take the punters to their venue, and, I was to pick them up later.
When I phoned him for directions, he said he had no idea,and, when I asked why, he answered,"I followed my sat-nav".
So, it was down to the good old streetmap, to find my punters.

People are too reliant on computers, and too lazy to use their brains.
2008 DEFENDER 110 DCPU XS
1984 RRC PICK UP
"SOD THE OZONE, I'M HAVIN' FUN AND THE WEATHER'S LOVELY"!!

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 18:41:07 »
Yup always Carry a Map in the Back of the Motor if i remember correctly it was new in 1995 so almost time to get a new one when the cover completly Falls off..
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 19:03:30 »
I always have a road atlas in whatever i,m driving as i dont use a satnav, never needed to, they stop you thinking
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 19:19:59 »
Always carry a map book have a hgv one i use with all the wight limits low bridges narrow roads etc as well as a normal road map. Plus i have mm on my sat nav as well.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 20:22:21 »

God help me if I ever go overlanding.

I'm not the only one then! Upon sighting the stuff in the back of my Disco on a weekend camping trip someone asked "Why have you brought all that for two days?"

I only had the tent, sleeping bag, roll up mat, blanket, gas stove, chair, kettle, several mugs, tins of food, cool bag, ammo box full of recovery kit, twenty metres of USB cables and another twenty metres of VGA cable...

Just looking for a long usb cable extention, where did you get it from?
Rob

Get Dave White to make you one.  :lol:  or an online company he uses all the time does them.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 22:11:44 »
Use those flat metal things on poles at the sides of roads....worked so far...
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline landmannnn

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 22:12:53 »
I have a 1950's telephone at home.  It looks good and is sort of comfortable.  If I want make a call I use a cordless of course.

Maps are great, all those coloured lines in bright colours.  All those places I have never been to and never will.  That distance table in back harks back to the era of manual typewriters, wire wheels and diptheria.  Of course if I want to go somewhere new I use my sat nav equipped pda or phone or tablet pc.

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 22:53:50 »
I have 3,keep wearing the things out!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 23:07:56 »
This is an old thread :shock:

When this thread was active the first time I used a road atlas, now I use a satnav and the road atlas.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 09:32:54 »
i don't carry a map or a sat-nav and i'm a lorry driver, never been lost yet.

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 10:03:54 »
I love the people on the motorways that have the 'man' driving , and the 'little woman' sat in the pasenger seat - who moves her finger along everytime they pas a junction!!!!!
EXCUSE ME - but whats wrong with doing 5 minutes research before you leave home - Get on at Junction Y - off at junction Y - they do have alrger metal thingies at the side of the road - !!!

* sorry bad day*  :lol:

Offline boogieman

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 21:10:26 »

I always have my road atlas with me but the sat nav has enabled me to get rid of all my A - Zs - working in transport I had a few !!  :lol:

Sat-nav is the best thing since sliced bread for me. As long as you use it sensibly & learn how to use the features (ie: diverting round a blocked road) & check in the road atlas if you have any doubt about the address you're inputting.

If you don't like the voice then change it for one you do like - there are hundreds about - or turn it down & just follow the arrow on the screen. I have the volume turned up just enough for me to hear the camera warnings.

Unreliable ? I've had sat-navs for donkeys years & can count the little blips on 2 fingers  :lol:

They're small enough to pop in your pocket along with your mobile phone if you have to leave the car - I really struggle to be negative about my sat-nav & it sure hasn't made me brainless because I use one.

So yes - I do carry a road atlas with me  :lol: ;) :smiley:

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2010, 18:20:05 »
iv got about 8 maps in my car, a to z, os maps, atlas, a gps, compass and a satnav, use them all at various times.
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline AJWB

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 20:09:05 »
I've got a UK road atlas and OS maps for the local area in the Landy. My dad has a satnav and loves it. I'm the sort who hates not knowing where I am, whenever I go on journeys with my dad I follow on the map. We spent the summer driving around France in the caravan, as usual with Dad following the satnav and me following the map. Occasionally he had to make a hard decision- should he follow my advice, or the satnavs? Sometimes I was right, sometime Jane (the satnav) was.

Personally I enjoying looking at the map and planning a journey without relying on technology. The only good use of a satnav IMO is in urban areas. I always get lost in towns I don't know because road atlases aren't detailed enough. I might buy a satnav myself one day for this purpose, but I'll manage for now.

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 08:27:16 »
But a satnav is just a map :huh:  Albeit an electronic one. what is there not to like about them. the only difference between paper and electronic is possible failure/fuses blowing and the size of the screen.

www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40:31 »
[ed: naughty] navs are fine, as long as you dont rely on them completely. i tend to only use mine to tell me roughly how fast i am actually going or to get me to a beneral area. mine will also take me along greenlanes (though i do check them on the OS map) and through some big fords! :evil:
used to be fun in the little fiesta. :dance:

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:19 »
[ed: naughty] navs are fine, as long as you dont rely on them completely. i tend to only use mine to tell me roughly how fast i am actually going or to get me to a beneral area. mine will also take me along greenlanes (though i do check them on the OS map) and through some big fords! :evil:
used to be fun in the little fiesta. :dance:

I also use mine as a speedo but have the volume turned off & also check my route on a map before setting off then use satnav to confirm I'm on the right road/making the right turn whilst driving.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2010, 12:06:48 »
im the only one at work who doesnt have a sat nav in the van. i do like them, but find i learn where places are by using my mk1 road atlas. but sat navs are pretty good. ive just bought memory map for me laptop so am finally getting into the ol technology! :shock:
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2010, 14:22:43 »
What's wrong with getting lost once in awhile, adds spice to life. SatNav's have cost this country untold millions in lost revenue because people no longer burn the extra fuel they did whilst being lost/missing junction  :evil:  :lol:
I don't bother carrying a road atlas, if events dictate that I need one (or an A to Z) I would just buy one from a service station, you can't get *THAT* lost in the UK. After use it will linger and die a horrible damp death as have all the other papar atlas have that I have owned.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 14:24:22 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 14:43:21 »
What's wrong with getting lost once in awhile, adds spice to life. SatNav's have cost this country untold millions in lost revenue because people no longer burn the extra fuel they did whilst being lost/missing junction  :evil:  :lol:

Aaah yes but the extra income generated by arriving on time has offset this loss.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal