General Club Stuff > Workshop Articles

D.I.Y rocksliders for 3door discovery

<< < (3/4) > >>

boss:
i would make the sliders and bolt them on. if you do replace the sill and incorperate a slider then it is the car that gets [!Expletive Deleted!]. the sliders are effectiveley a sacrificial part. or thats how i look at it anyway. lots of people have replaced the sills and put some tubing along the side for tree sliders. you can do both, weld on a new sill, make these sliders and weld them on, but like i say its an awfull lot of metal to grind off if something came a croppa. totally up to you stu.
it is nice to know that people are taking an interest in the design.

you will all be seing just how much punishment these slider can take very soon;)

let me know how it all goes chaps

zimsoundz:
i made mine using box section and tubing :

Gordon

discorich:
Very informative guide Boss. this is very similar to what i was planning to make to go on my 5 door disco, sure that there would not be too much of a difference, just with the gaps for the door pillars.

would it work if i copyed the pattern that is on the plastic sills, to allow for the door pillars?

boss:
rich, i forget! i would have thought that it would be do'able that way. the plastic sill things that were on mine were fubar but i would sefinatley recomend using them to copy the bolt pattern and make up a "c" section to bolt it around the sill. like i have said welding to the chassis isnt a perticularly good idea especially on the back, i hung up on some rocks at tixover because of that :lol:

discorich:
cheers Boss, i will defo try copy the bolt pattern of my plastic sills, the bottom of them is knacked but the bolts/screws are still fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version