AuthorTopic: Opinions of detachable towbar?  (Read 8956 times)

Offline clover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Clover
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Opinions of detachable towbar?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 17:03:15 »
Its behind the plastic trim where the dickie seat is...
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 19:35:09 »
Great... :lol:

I'll do the sensible thing for once and tie a bit of string to the end so I can pull them back through again!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 13:00:38 »
You can get to the tow-electrics from the small panel in the dickie seat 'well' in the side of the boot - bit fiddly to get your hand in there if you still have the seat fitted - I know as I disconnected mine recently in readiness for a de-mountable tow set-up and I had to have so much skin grafted onto my arms I decided to take the bloody seats out and chuck them in the attick.  No need to take the lamp cluster out at all.
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 14:51:33 »
Yes sorry should clarify... you only need to remove light cluster if you are fitting the tow electric like I did below lamp
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 17:08:47 »
I did try to take one seat out when adding the wiring for my car pc but it wouldn't budge, was worried about shearing something if I used any more force. Looks like I get to end up with interesting bruises up my arm again (you should have seen the set I got from trying to feed cabling through the dash above the glovebox  :lol: ).

After a bit of a rethink I'm going to use an old bike inner tube to stop the fall plate scraping the paint off the top of the bumper. Attached with some suitably flexible and waterproof adhesive it should work perfectly. I think the foam strip stuff would either disintegrate or just squash flat rather than holding the components apart.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 13:41:44 »
Right, a big parcel has arrived from Discoparts with the towbar. I'm most impressed with the quality of the parts, unfortunately there seem to be a few things missing. I have four bolts, but only two nuts :huh: and there's no sign of the pin to hold the drop plate or recovery shackle in place when plugged into the towbar. Are these parts supposed to be in the kit (before I make a fool of myself by emailing to enquire where they are)?

Solved the electrics problem by fitting a metal 12n socket on the pillar like discopinky did. Just a nuisance I won't be able to get it all fitted in time for attending the Welshpool Festival of Transport with Powys 4x4 Response. The plough will evidently have one more off road excursion!  :lol:

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 22:26:32 »
I believe you are right those items should be in the package.

Give them a ring and they will no doubt get them out quick smart or at least they should!!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 15:19:52 »
Called them today, they were most apologetic and the parts are apparently in the post.  :clap:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal