AuthorTopic: jimny front wheel bearing adjustment  (Read 4858 times)

Offline jamesey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
  • Referrals: 0
jimny front wheel bearing adjustment
« on: May 10, 2008, 16:13:27 »
hi ive just changeed from my mud tryes to my allot road tyres for a while and ive noticed that when i jacked the front drivers wheel up it had some play in it as though the wheel bearing had worn , can these be tightened/adjusted like i could on my pajero , thanks :roll:

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: jimny front wheel bearing adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 17:05:22 »
No they will have to be changed, which is a pig of a job. Usually I try local breakers and change the complete hub. Worth checking its not simply you King pin bearings first though. Wheel bearings are about £70 + vat and so far I haven't found any after market ones cheaper. Apparently Vitara ones can fit but I've heard mixed feed back on their performance. You will also need a special hub tool (avail from bits for Vits at £25 I think) and a hydraulic press. If its King pin bearings they are about £25 each + from suzuki or £10 from a bearing stockist and all four can be repalced in an afternoon - I know - I've just done mine.

ps if you have run slightly wider wheels with your muds and used the 'clip' on style balence weights, the weights catch on thesteering arm lug and that knackers your bearing. I use stick on balence weights.
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 19:35:39 »
bah , thats all i need more expence this month :x , ive just got done :police: for speeding in the jim aswell doing 37 in a 30 ,dont know how much that will cost me , anyway where are the kingpin bearings and the wheel bearings how do i tell which one needs changing if they both wobblw the wheel when jacked up?? and yes i have just put bigger fatboy wheels on with road tyres for a few weeks as ill not be greenlaning for a while , it must be all the bumpy tracks i drive on :lol:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 19:37:15 by jamesey »

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 22:33:36 »
If you hold the wheel at 9 0'clock and 3 o'clock position and there is plat then its more than likely wheel bearings. If you only get play when you hold the wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions then probably king pins. King pins are the bearings that the hub assembly pivots on when you turn the steering.
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 04:47:16 »
aahhh ive got it , im learning new stuff everyday , i think its the 3 and 9 wobble , thanks for the advice glaggs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal