AuthorTopic: jimny rear wheel bearings  (Read 4436 times)

Offline jims jimny

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
jimny rear wheel bearings
« on: April 03, 2008, 20:30:16 »
how to change ( glaggs help )
backing a right racket but aint got a clue how to change them ( if it is them )

jim
mods so far  2"procomp suspension  
205/75/15 colway mt
diff breathers
t-case protection plate
snorkel/piper cross filter + loads more

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: jimny rear wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 00:05:45 »
Not easy (compared to SJ), its been a while since I did one but here goes?

1/ Remove wheel and brake drum
2/ remove brake shoes and mechanisms - disconnect hand brake cable and disconnect cable from backing plate - b'stard of a job.
3/ Rear half shaft is prevented from coming out by backing plate so undo four bolts holding backing plate on and then pull out assembly. The bearing is a  V. Tight fit in axel case and the assembly will need persuading out, manual suggests a slide hammer but so far I've managed it with a soft face mallet and some carefully aimed hammer blows.
4/ The next part is the hard bit. The bearing is held in place by a pressed on sleeve which is very very tight. The recommended way to remove the sleeve is to carefully grind it off. If you grind a flat carefully on one sideit will eventually crack and come off - be carefull not to damage the half shaft. The bearing kit comes with a new sleeve.
5/ Now to remove the old bearing - double b'tard. You can't get a conventional puller or slitter in because the brake backing plate can't be removed without first taking the bearing off but you can't get to the bearing for the backing plate. The manual advises to use a Suzuki special tool - a chain puller? Even my Suzuki dealer didn't have one. I usually grind the outer bearind race off so that I can get the backing plate off, I then talk to a friend in the trade who has access to a Hydraulic press. At this point he can get in to remove the inner race of the bearing and then press the new bearing and retaining sleeve back onto the shaft - not forgetting to put the backing plate on first!

nb This is the hardest diy job I've ever done on the Jimny and the first time I did it I took the half shaft out then took it to a Suzuki dealer to get the old bearing removed and the new one fitted. Took them 20 mins and cost me £30. I supplied the bearing. This was after my mate in the trade had had a go and failed!

I have a 2nd hand rear axel in the garage and next time one goes I'll just swap half shafts.

link to site with pictures to help: http://www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:changing-a-wheel-bearing&catid=41:engine&Itemid=37
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:51:45 by glaggs »
..V..

Offline jims jimny

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 19:12:30 »
cheers glaggs

sounds a right bitch of a job
if it is the bearings
might be better of getting a s/h axle & change the whole lot 

jim
mods so far  2"procomp suspension  
205/75/15 colway mt
diff breathers
t-case protection plate
snorkel/piper cross filter + loads more

Offline mlines

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 22:03:23 »
Mine wasn't too bad to do.

I used a slide hammer to pull the existing shaft out, the grinding of the retainer took time as I was being careful and the bearing came off once a large hammer and chisel was applied.

However the same job on my SJ took days as the bearing stuck inside the axle.

Martin Lines
http://www.BigJimny.com

Suzuki Jimny 1.3JLX, Kap 3" Spring Lift, Kap Full External Roll Cage and Front/Rear Bumpers, RockLobster T-Box conversion, ARB Locker, Viair Air System, Recaro Seats

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal