AuthorTopic: help required please.  (Read 3233 times)

muddymart

help required please.
« on: March 27, 2008, 17:26:46 »
I had Monroe gas shocks fitted and heavy duty springs fitted to the disco earlier on this year, now the car has been sat for a month maybe 6 weeks at the most, and it doesn't seem to be sitting right, it seems to be sitting with the back end considerably lower, our street is on a upward slope so I'm thinking this is why, would this be permanent or should i be taking back to the garage as it is under guarantee

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: help required please.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 18:05:26 »
Well you could try turning it round I guess, new springs always settle in a bit but usually when they are used not stood :-k

Yes turn it round, in fact take it for a drive, if that doesn't cure it then take it back and ask politely that they have a look.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

muddymart

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 18:13:08 »
Ive just taken it for a good ride, going round lots of roundabouts !!!

on close inspection of the springs, the o/s/r spring , the top two rings are completely compressed, where the others have a good couple mm gap??

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 18:20:31 »
The backs might be progressive in that the first few coils at one end are closer together so at normal ride heigh they are closed up but when extended they come to life, it helps with articulation.

It's possible they put one in the wrong way up.

If however it's only one spring thats like this then it needs looking at.  Make sure that both rear springs are the same way round though, it could look like that because of the orientation, but it could also be that one coil has snapped :-.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 18:25:22 »
Have the springs been fitted to the correct corners?? Rears are usually heavier duty, and the drivers side are slightly longer. My mate fitted them back to front on his Disco, and it sat like this.

muddymart

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 18:26:48 »
Thanks for the help RRB the n/s/r/ spring has quite a good gap op the top two coils, so have the front 2,

I'm going to another garage tomorrow to get a second opinion, before i go back to the garage i had the work done at, as I'm not happy really in some of the work that's been done,

muddymart

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 18:31:18 »
All this work was done at a independent landrover garage in Leeds, so really he should know what he's doing, if you knew what problems I've had you wouldn't believe it,

the complete left side is level , i measured it from tyre to peak of arch, direct in line with the front shocker and in line with the rear spring , the o/s/r is lower and the NSF is totally out, so it's leaning again ! and sort of with a twist to the front , but i think this is the rear o/s spring that is doing this, I'm not sure really,

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 18:39:09 »
All this work was done at a independent landrover garage in Leeds, so really he should know what he's doing, if you knew what problems I've had you wouldn't believe it,

four plus four? or green oval? or adventure 4x4?........whatever garage it shouldnt be like that,take it back
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

muddymart

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 18:42:57 »
Hi BK, i really dont want to name the garage, or SHOULD i? lets say theres been a few problems that im not happy with and they havent been sorted out, all i can say is the best quote may not turn out to be the best, or should i say genuine???

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 19:10:29 »
Ay up martin,the springs are a reasonably simple job for a garage,dont know about the other bits,but really you should be taking it back to have it sorted but I bet it wasnt 4 plus 4 was it? cos they are usually pretty good
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 19:20:07 »
Hi BK, i really dont want to name the garage, or SHOULD i? lets say theres been a few problems that im not happy with and they havent been sorted out, all i can say is the best quote may not turn out to be the best, or should i say genuine???

If it's your opinion then let's have it, you can't be had for that surely.  As for the pic it looksl ike mine when it's full of c***, which is why I just bought new springs.

Offline python

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:57:27 »
looks like mine did last week when i put my springs on the wrong way round. take it back mate. if you feel there work is not satisfactory then you can always get another opinion and consult trading standards. i could only blame myself for my mistake.  :oops: :roll: :shock:

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:37 »
looks like mine did last week when i put my springs on the wrong way round. take it back mate. if you feel there work is not satisfactory then you can always get another opinion and consult trading standards. i could only blame myself for my mistake.  :oops: :roll: :shock:

exactly whay i said before. Looking at the pic, its the same as mi freinds who put them on back to front. Its an easy mistake to make.

muddymart

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:09 »
fair enough if I'd have done the job myself, but when you've paid out hard earned cash, !!! taking disco to another garage at 1pm for the 2ND opinion, so will let you know the outcome,

I was talking to the guy who did all the work on the disco, and he said only the parts are covered by guarantee not labour, i replied " well if the springs have been put on the wrong way round , why should i pay labour costs? as obviously its your poor workmanship"

no reply. see you soon he says.

muddymart

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 16:31:28 »
conclusion is .........................

from 2 independent landrover garages ...don't fit cheap britpart springs

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 16:45:43 »
So is one spring broken or are they just weak?

muddymart

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 17:31:09 »
i took it to two different independent garages and they said the springs are weak, we haven't even done 100 mile in the car since we got it back ! and we are suppose to be collecting the new 'van April 12Th.
swmbo rang the garage where we had the work done, and he wont replace them ,  :evil: :oops: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 18:06:37 »
Name and shame.

Meanwhile try parking facing down hill.  All springs do relax and it's odd that yours have all gone at one end, you might need to drive it around a bit before the front softens up to match.

Otherwise you're after some spring spacers.  Not good given that yu forked out your hard-earned to have the job done right.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 18:13:20 »
tell us who it is so we know to avoid...
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

muddymart

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 18:15:51 »
Well I'm not going to bother any more with green oval garage  in Leeds,

I've decided to get rid of the britpart springs so, I've booked it in at adventure 4x4 in Morley for Bearmach springs fitting,

The two second opinions i had today, said they would not advise me to fit yellow britpart springs, well, they don't even bother selling them anymore.  

He has guaranteed me this should end this situation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 18:18:23 by martinwf5 »

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 18:23:48 »
Get the old ones on Fleabay then, you'll get some money back at least.

muddymart

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 19:38:34 »
Get the old ones on Fleabay then, you'll get some money back at least.

:) :) there only 6 weeks old !!! , ideal for someone who offroads a lot maybe !!!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 19:40:02 »
Just check something if you get chance, a standard car should be 790mm from floor to wheelearch with standard tyres.  What height are yours now, the beack end look to be way less than 2" lift.

muddymart

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 19:48:49 »
tomorrow i will find a nice flat road, take some pics, as i have been driving it all day, the back end seems to be lower than it was, then i shall take the same photo on the same road after i get it back next thursday..

the tyres are fulda 235 70 16 m+s , on 7jjx16 modulars, i take you measure it to the peak of the arch , directly in line with the centre of the spring(rear) and shocker (front)?

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 19:53:22 »
Yes, spot on and your tyres are near as damnit standard size.  What will be intersting is the difference you find end to end.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 20:27:30 »
I've had the Britpart yellow ones on for over a year on the back with no problems, and fitted the front ones about 4 months ago again I have noticed no problems!

The ones on the back are the "medium" duty ones. There was 3 different duties listed. and they are standard height.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

muddymart

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 21:33:14 »
i had mine recommended Crazymac, but there sagging with less than 100 miles done

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 22:09:40 »
thats really strange about the springs do they have a guarantee?can you send them back to the supplier?thats unusual after 100 miles to sag like that,but bearmachs are usually pretty good,can you find out where Brian (green oval) got them from?

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 23:35:59 »
i had mine recommended Crazymac, but there sagging with less than 100 miles done

I'd be going the same as you if I had the same experience! There is no way they should be sagging that quick, 50,000 miles yes, not 100!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

muddymart

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 00:42:18 »
Ive just checked the receipt, i collected the car 01/02/2008 and the mileage was 142920, and today the clock just clicked over to 143000 miles,

as we have a "small " runaround for work/school run etc...the disco has been sat outside till Wednesday, decided to wash it as it looked in a dumped state, took it for a run down the motorway and back , and that's when  i noticed the sagging/drooping..
Swmbo called Green oval, and he stated he would not replace any of the springs as he fitted what i requested,

If the parts are under guarantee and he refuses to replace them , my hands are now washed with Green Oval Garage and their staff, and i should have gone to one of the garages that come recommended.

As one of them stated, "we dont advise customers to  fit sh**, and we dont get any comeback, and we have happy customers "   WELL SAID

After doing a quick google search on "britpart " its amazing how many people are not happy with their products,maybe i should have looked into this further before hand, but when you take someone's advice on board and trust them , and cost wasnt a problem here, all i asked for was decent gear to be fitted that would last its course, ie as said by crazymac, 40-50 thousand miles.....

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 00:49:05 by martinwf5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal