Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Blog my ride: Discovery 300 TDi -lowering + sorting

<< < (3/9) > >>

Range Rover Blues:
Wizard is right, washing is the first half of the job, LR like to be oiled and greased regulalry if they get abused.

andyhubbard:
This is a family site :roll:,Andy what you and your good lady do in the quiet as nothing to do with us :lol:. Oh sorry your on about the landy. I'll get my coat and go now i just couldn't resist it.

John Clayton:
Sorry for forgetting about this blog, but I'll get it going again now.
To catch up with things, the following has happened:

The Britpart clutch that was sent back got lost in the post so that wasted about £80.  Andy, the chap who was doing the work, sent it back normal post (i.e. not recorded) so I'm not sure if I'll even be able to get any compensation.

I then ordered some parts from DISCOPARTS.
The brake shoes were sent separately to the rest of the order and some random punter at my workplace (4000 people there) apparently signed for the parcel (stupid courier should have been more careful) and so they disappeared.  Dozens (if not Scores) of unanswered calls to resolve the problem eventually got a replacement parcel sent free of charge sorted but Mark Casey (DISCOPARTS) is definitely quite unprofessional as a trader in my experience and I would recommend going to somewhere less 'two-bit' to be honest.  I should have seen the writing on the wall with their earlier awful customer service (see earlier in this blog) so I've got only myself to blame.

Then Andy said that the newly welded up (and internally inspected) gearbox only worked in several gears, to my dismay.  I put loads of time into sourcing another 2H box until he realised weeks later that he had connected the linkage up wrongly.  It now drives but the change is very stiff 'cos he put some random oil in it rather than the proper stuff.  He did a service on the vehicle but it lacks power, I'm told.  He didn't get round to charging the battery and that is now u/s, although I think it was too far gone by the time he got involved anyway to be honest.  Andy changed the springs to lower it from 3" to 2" but reckoned that it didn't look any different from before.  I hope he's wrong 'cos Exeter 4x4 sold me the springs specifically to lower it and they had a full spec of the vehicle to calculate its weight and the necessary spring poundage./length

Andy is no longer able to work on the vehicle so there is another guy who has taken it on called Tommo who is a real enthusiast and seems very good from what I've seen.  His communication is regular and he's proactive and industrious so I think he will get 'The Landy Project from Hell' back on track if anyone can!

The side exit exhaust needs replacing but the new exhaust is stainless and we haven't got TIG kit to weld it so it'll have to be a normal exhaust -is that likely to be vulnerable compared to side exit types?

Next jobs are batteries, split charge system, welding, fitting exhaust, changing diff + gbox oil & getting it MOTd.

Budgie:
I would get that gearbox oil sorted asap if it's being driven. If he's put something like EP90 in there instead of ATF or MTF then it could wreck the gearbox internal oil pump!!  ;)

You should be OK with the standard exhaust tail, although it maybe worth cutting the end back a wee bit as mine got squashed. 

mandrover:
Well the gearbox oils are now changed for the correct ones. I have now fitted the new exhaust which sounds great. The car seems quite sluggish in the lower revs, especially when cold. It seems very reluctant to pick up  but is ok when the turbo kicks in, Any ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version