AuthorTopic: Couple of questions about my Jimny.  (Read 1418 times)

Offline SteveW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Couple of questions about my Jimny.
« on: February 23, 2008, 19:21:53 »
I'm back for some more help from any friendly Jimny drivers out there ( or alternatively people who don't drive Jimnys but wanna help ). Just a couple of issues that I want some opinions on.

1. I posted a query a little while back regarding the bend in my front springs. Another problem I have that seems to be due to this is that I was noticing a knocking from the front whilst driving on the road, I initially put this down to the tires catching on the arches but having had the arches trimmed I now think its my front springs catching on the internal mount at the top due to the bend in the springs. I now know that the front axle hasn't been camber corrected which I'm hoping will improve things a bit but I was wondering if anyone else had suffered the same problem.

2. On the topic of castor correction, wheres the best place to buy the castor correction bushes from and is the job of fitting them one that can be done by a parttime diyer or is it a garage job?

I'll take a couple of photos of the springs and post them, hopefully tomorrow, so that people can see what I'm on about.

Anyones help with these matters would be much appreciated.

Steve.

Offline mlines

Attack Member
Re: Couple of questions about my Jimny.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 20:02:53 »
Steve,

My front springs are quiet, but the rears creak and groan and move about a bit which is just a "feature" of lifted coil sprung cars where the springs are not fixed at both ends (just take a ride in a LandRover product where the rear springs are continously dislocating!)

However if it clunks then the springs could be hitting the shock absorbers. Look for "wear" marks on the shock absorber casings, it is a known problem with lifted Jimnys that certain shock absorber and spring combinations foul each other (Pro-Comp ES9000's spring to mind as being too fat)

I didn't fit my castor correction bushes but they are the ones from Kap Suzuki - www.kapsuzuki.co.uk

Martin

Martin Lines
http://www.BigJimny.com

Suzuki Jimny 1.3JLX, Kap 3" Spring Lift, Kap Full External Roll Cage and Front/Rear Bumpers, RockLobster T-Box conversion, ARB Locker, Viair Air System, Recaro Seats

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 20:47:32 »
Cheers Martin,

Don't think its my shocks that the springs are hitting but the top spring mount that sits inside the top of the spring but I'll check.

Steve.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 21:26:29 »
Steve if you've got the pro-comp (blue) springs fitted that KAP supply - the noise is the spring hitting the chassis. Mine did and I tried every thing to stop it. In the end I binned them in favour of some Old man emu sprins. These are narrower across the coils and so don't hit the chassis quite as much. Also they don't bow quite a smuch. Doing the castor correction doesn't help with the spring hitting on the chassis. The cause of this is when you lift the suspension the panhard rod pulls the body to one side. The higher the lift the more it pulls, pulling the spring across to the chassis. Longer or adjustable panhard rods help on 3" lift or more - but dont cure the problem totaly.
..V..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal