AuthorTopic: 2 Firefighters die  (Read 2777 times)

Offline old joe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 Firefighters die
« on: February 02, 2005, 21:41:05 »
Sorry All

out and about today in Dear Old Dorset and heard on the radio about 2 firefighters who had died in fire in Stevenage.

May be this topic is for mud clud maybe its not may be we have firefighters in the club or have relatives who are in the service or in other emergency services however my thoughts go out to there Family's and friends and collegues and the Watch that they were on and may be tonight they are on watch with 2 members missing. It will be a difficult night for everyone.

Why did i write this because one upon a time i to wanted to become Firefighter unfortuatly it was not to be however i do voluntary work for St John Ambulance which is itself an emergency service and like all people in the emergency services we accept wether paid or voluntary the risks just as we do when we go off road.

I hope that none of us in this Club ever have to call the Fire Service or any emergency service if we do i hope that everybody involved is Safe and well and remeber to check smoke alarms.

Dazza

:(
Old Joe (Dazza)

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.

Remember each and everyone of us is gifted, it’s just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others

A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a Single Step.

http://www.4x4prejudice.org/

www.rsda.org.uk

http://muppets.go.com/games/muppets-flyinggonzo.html

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 22:41:34 »
A couple of our Nurses are married to Firemen & I know what they go through everytime there's a 'shout' for a fire that we hear about at the Hospital
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline wheels244

Attack Member
    • Bedale, North Yorkshire
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 23:03:54 »
Dazza

Your kind words are much appreciated.
I've been a fulltime firefighter now for 13 years and to hear two more of my comrades have fallen in the line of duty saddens me to my very core.
It's nice to know we are still appreciated, depite the lies peddled by this government and the media during the strike which was forced upon us.

I urge anyone reading this to go to their local fire station - ask the lads\lasses about what the job entails - you'll be made welcome, you'll also find we don't play snooker and sit around all day.

Sadly, and quite stealthily the fire service is being destroyed by politicians who know nothing about what we do - if you don't believe me, check out what changes are happening in your county - you'll be surprised and shocked at what is taking place. I fear these cutbacks ( because that is what they are) will lead to more death and injury to the public and more of my mates.

Nothing to do with Landrovers, but my job is another one of my passions.
Sad - but true !
Defender 200Tdi -  Terrafirma lift,Winch Bumper, Warn X9, Steering Guard, Front\Rear QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel, CB, Light Rail, Baja Claws, Flexi Arches, Breather Kit.

Yamaha R1 Powered MNR Kit Car that I built
Now building 220BHP Lotus 7 kit
Fireblade Trackbike

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 23:09:26 »
'Wheels'; This is an old one, but you might appreciate it

Fire Wars
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 23:13:42 »
My farther is in the fire brigade (Station Officer). His watch was called to a car fire, simple enough, but there was a 'device' in the car. Luckily no one was killed but one fire fighter has permanent hearing damage and will be forced to leave the brigade.

When something like this happens it brings home just how dangerous the job is, especially when there is loss of life. My thoughts go out to the families involved, I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it must be to cope with such a loss under such circumstances.
Regards
Matthew

www.cbpsystems.co.uk/(updated: quite often)
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

Offline wheels244

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 23:18:59 »
Nice one Richard !

Haven't seen that one for a while.
Cheered me up a bit before i went to bed.

Ta

Rob
Defender 200Tdi -  Terrafirma lift,Winch Bumper, Warn X9, Steering Guard, Front\Rear QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel, CB, Light Rail, Baja Claws, Flexi Arches, Breather Kit.

Fireblade Trackbike

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 12:56:28 »
Hi All

One of the other leaders at cub scouts is a part time fireman as we are out in the sticks they are the first to arrive and they do wonders in the summer with car fires (tourists usually) and forestry fires . And your right we took 25 kids to the station and they let them dress up and hose down the trucks they loved it and seeing that two died makes you think .On a Monday night when we're playing games and his bleeper goes off and he runs out ,he dosen't know why or what for but he goes anyway .should humble us all  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline dracula

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 19:08:57 »
I have a cousin who is a fireman and damned proud of him.
The Fire Service do a damn fine job and deserve all the praise they get.
Paul.
regards,
Paul Shapter.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 19:10:02 »
Quote from: "lee celtic"
Hi All

One of the other leaders at cub scouts is a part time fireman as we are out in the sticks they are the first to arrive and they do wonders in the summer with car fires (tourists usually) and forestry fires . And your right we took 25 kids to the station and they let them dress up and hose down the trucks they loved it and seeing that two died makes you think .On a Monday night when we're playing games and his bleeper goes off and he runs out ,he dosen't know why or what for but he goes anyway .should humble us all  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>

Absolutely!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 20:00:11 »
I live virtually opposite a fire station. Nothing but admiration for them and show my support for them as well.
I dread having to go to bed at night when we end up with no fire cover at night.

When do the government think most people are killed in fires?!?!?!

It makes my blood boil.

Brave men and a sad loss.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 21:52:11 »
Tring to close our local station :shock:  nearest one then is 3 miles away. SWMBO and a few others did a 24hour protest the other week (with the help of each Watch). Damn good Lads doing a Damn fine Job. Always sad to hear of live's lost.

Offline wheels244

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 23:14:58 »
Nice words from everyone - I'll pass them onto my Watch ( Blue ) the lads will appreciate them.

Andy - Top marks to your good lady and her friends  =D>
you clearly know what they're trying to achieve.

This is the time when we in the fire service are the ones needing help, the general publics help - without it we will see wholesale closures and downgrading of fire stations the length and breadth of the country and all for what ? To save a few quid !
What price public safety ?

Lobby your MP's, your local Fire Authority members, the press, anyone with any influence - they will listen to you - You are the ones that elect them.
Who do you trust more? A Firefighter or a Politician ?

If nobody does anything, the decimation of the worlds most renowned fire service, I fear, is inevitable and we will see more deaths and serious injuries to my colleagues and the public.

Fireblade Trackbike

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 02:43:24 »
Even from the far side of the world, as an ex firefighter my thoughts and sympathy are with the families and colleagues of these 2 firefighters.

Mike

Offline old joe

Attack Member
2 Firefighters die
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:36:38 »
Rob

there is no answer to that my trust is in those who ride or who have ridden the big red machines and yes you aswell.

May be get muddyweb to do some stickers i cant think of 1 brigade or emergency service in this country or across the world who doesn't have a 4x4.

we have even hit other side of the world thanks NZ rover.

The other sad story is 1 of the guys who was killed sent out his wedding invites they arrived the day after he was killed.

Dazza
Old Joe (Dazza)

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.

Remember each and everyone of us is gifted, it’s just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others

A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a Single Step.

http://www.4x4prejudice.org/

www.rsda.org.uk

http://muppets.go.com/games/muppets-flyinggonzo.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal