AuthorTopic: Getting well narked now.  (Read 9968 times)

Offline lurch_917

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Getting well narked now.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:53 »
 startb with the easiest have a look at the fuel shut off switch ( on the injector pump singel wire ) mine gave me the same fault and it was that terminal breaking down 10p terminal all done now
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline Banjo

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:30 »
Try removing starter motor , strip it down and wash it out with petrol,dry it well a spot of oil and job done.should cure slow starting.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 15:41:51 »
You're not the only one having battery issues.  I bought a big Varta one for the LSE and if I leave it a week it's dead, completley dead, won't even work the central locking.

I reckon it's the cold.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 16:25:11 »
the hop rail??? :huh:

Well, I went out this morning and after alot of turning over and pumping the loud pedal it did fire into life, however, it did it's narrow boat impression of running at 250 rpm and wanting to stall. I couldn't be bothered with putting it in low box until the engine was warm (only way to not let it stall) so I took the other car (yes the one with exhaust issues  :twisted:)

Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 19:01:27 »
ok here goes.

alternator at the battery is giving out 14.04 volts.

I think though I may have a ureeka moment looming. I have looked today and there is an air bubble in the inline fuel filter. I took off 1 end, held it up and gentle squeezed my priming bulb and the bubble wouldnt come out. hey ho. any ideas?

The priming bulb when running sucks in and is a fairly tight spot for fuel to flow through. Should this do this?

At this point I thought what have I got to loose. lets blow the line from the back of the bulb to the tank through. So stuck the back end into a clear bottle and put my air compressor (ciggy lighter jobby) on the hose and turned it on. all seemed ok coming out. Put hose back onto tank and at this point it took 6.5psi to start blowing the fuel back then it went back to 0psi. So I think there may have been a small bit of crud stuck in the tank pipe. It does narrow alot where the pipe comes out of the tank and into my fuel line.  Once I did this it ticked over alot better and on a test run it showed no signs of stalling or struggling to pull away. fingers crossed then!

BUT there is alot of diesel around the bit that comes out the tank . Dont know why. Maybe I didnt have the air vent open enough on the cap and made a vacuum? Dunno. I have tightened the jubilee clip up alot tighter now though incase it was being forced backwards every time I turned the engine off.

does diesel make a boot flor rust faster?

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 20:02:00 »
diesel is essentially oil, and should protect, however if you`ve seen the paint around most filler caps, it can get issues with paint.... which in time leave bare metal... not to mention the whole hot exhaust/diesel soaked underside of vehicle issue..... :-.

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 20:04:11 »
i have wiped as much off as possible from around the engine bay. I think I may need to pull my rubber mat out from on top of the carpet and give it a hosing down and then a drying out session. I bet I end up doing that next year and finding rust!!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 22:22:02 »
It shouldnt rust mate but it will stink for a bit,i hope youve sussed it mate
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 00:32:21 »
Looking at the priming bulb revelation I reckon you've cracked it, but thats the very reason why I'm renewing my sedimenter and not just junking it.

As for the cold thing - mines always started fine and charges well but its needed glow-plugs last couple of days which is unusual for it as I never usually bother so I reckon its fuel filter time after I've done the sedimenter......
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 19:54:22 »
Looking at the priming bulb revelation I reckon you've cracked it, but thats the very reason why I'm renewing my sedimenter and not just junking it.

Well, after my back blowing yesterday the disco again started this morning in the cold and sounded like a narrow boat engine at 250rpm, so went in other car again!

This afternoon I have removed the priming bulb and then turned it over. It turned over much faster as well and poof, into life, bit of spluttering as the air in the pipes went through but then, then, we had normal idle speed (600rpm ish). Stopped the engine, re started and it does seem to idle at a slow speed but tap the loud pedal and it idles properly then. Went for a test drive and all seemed ok. So tomorrow I think will be D day for it. If not, then I will empty veg tank, put diesel in and try the engine like that. Go back to basics and start from scratch and eliminate other things.

Oh, and I know how to make confetty now as well!  :roll: I left my big roll of paper on the fan didnt I and forgot to remove it, so the fan span round and shredded it for me.  :doh:

marjan

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 20:10:45 »
Mmmm, so much for me saying "get an oversized battery", mine has only just started tonight after being stood since Friday  :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 22:19:50 »
If the priming bulb is between the tank and lift pump then it getting crushed is an indication of a good lift pump but a restriction somewhere as its collapsing the supply pipe at the weakest point (the bulb).  It may just be that the bulb is not man enough to cope or it may be that the veg oil is heavier than diesel and the pump is struggling to lift it out of the tank?

Not much good on veg oil - I only use it for chips
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 22:24:02 »
ah, nooo

the priming bulb is in the new diesel line. It is diesel tank in boot-priming bulb-filter-valve-injectors. As I believe it to be anyway. Only the veg oil runs through the lift pump.

So the bulb becoming crushed is a good sign of the engine having enough guts to pull the diesel through under it's own power and not needing a pump? Am I right?

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 23:24:53 »
Well, yes and no.......

The bulb collapsing is a sure sign that the FIP is indeed pulling fuel all by itself, but as the bulb collapses it causes a restriction which the FIP will most likely not be able to overcome on its own - the lift pump may well do, but the bulb collapsing is a symptom also of a restriction further up-stream as  if pressure was equal on both sides of it there'd be very little collapsing evident. so I think you have a partial blockage between the bulb and the tank, this results in a depression in the fuel line which manifests itself in crushing at the weakest spot - the bulb.  The up-shot of the whole thing is reduced fuel delivery and poor running/starting as a result.

OR... it could mean that there is air in the pipe downstream from the bulb as air is less dense than fuel, and some scientist may well correct me here, but, this will also allow the pressure to drop in the pipe before the bulb as the volume of fluid in the pipe will drop as air enters it through the leak giving the same overall result as a restriction....

The fact that there is fuel around some of the joints points towards a leak - if fuel is getting out of a pipe subject to a depression, you can bet your arse air is getting sucked in..............

Right, I need to lie down now..............

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 17:45:11 »
right then.

My fact finding so far today. Started disco this morning, gave a few pumps on the loud pedal and it fired up, it ran at more of a sensible tick over speed but still not 100% right. This is the best bit though. It drove and didn't stall!!! Woo hoo.  :dance: Started it after work today and again it was fine.

I do have air in the clear inline filter. I cant shift it though. When I rev the engine there are no air bubbles appearing in the filter like there was a few weeks ago. cuning trick I got shown a few weeks.  :doh:

So blowing the lines back to the tank I think will have cleared any blockage and as the engine is running with no aid of any lift pumps etc I think it will idle slightly slower anyway, but it isnt so low it sounds like a boat chugging along now!

So all in all, progress has been made!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 18:33:04 »
The quote above suggests you have bypassed the lift pump altogether on the diesel side??? is that correct as understood? , have you fitted an additional pump on the diesel supply or can you elaborate on how the fuel is pumped from each tank??

that is indeed correct. My new diesel tank which is in the boot where a dicci seat used to be. As far as I understand it (Dr Ed please help here) the diesel runs from tank direct to change over valve then into the injectors.

The veg oil runs as it always used to do when on diesel except it has a change over valve to flow through and the heat exchanger.

How do I do a compression test? Sounds mega scary to me.

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 18:43:07 »
To be honest I wouldnt run without the lift pump, the fact that it runs fine with veg through the lift pump suggests this, You may have alleviated some of the strain on the distribution pump by having the tank in the boot (ie higher than normal so slighly gravity assisted) but Landrover did fit it for a reason and it does alleviate the stress on the dist pump.

the bulb will be seen to collapse as it is weaker than the weight of fuel the pump is attempting to pull along the line, ie all the fuel in the line from the bulb to the tank.

One option would be to 'T' the oil line into the diesel line before the lift pump, you would need to fit the heater in the oil line before the lift pump as obviously you DONT!! want to be heating the diesel under normal conditions if you have a veryeffective heater. VOW go into details on there site with their range of inline glowplug powered heater elements.

Have you tried starting with a couple of the injectors cracked to allow any air to escape, then tighten em once running... if this works it would certainly point to a small amount of air getting in.

Cheers Steve

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 18:46:09 »
Where are you located, plenty of people have diesel compression testers and its an easy job.

Cheers Steve

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 18:56:05 »
attatched is my fuel diagram Dr Ed made me.

MY diesel does go through the heater but only for the last part of my journey. About 90seconds ish before the end.

What is a dist pump? I was thinking about getting a small leccy fuel pump off of a 200tdi as I believe they have a pump in thier diesel tanks?

How much do I undo the injectors? 1 turn of a spanner (360 degrees) or less? Injectors are the things ontop of the engine on the left as you look from the front by the sound proofing arent they?

Oh and I am near Banbury/ daventry.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 18:59:05 by muddyjames »

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 09:21:28 »
attatched is my fuel diagram Dr Ed made me.

MY diesel does go through the heater but only for the last part of my journey. About 90seconds ish before the end.

What is a dist pump? I was thinking about getting a small leccy fuel pump off of a 200tdi as I believe they have a pump in thier diesel tanks?

How much do I undo the injectors? 1 turn of a spanner (360 degrees) or less? Injectors are the things ontop of the engine on the left as you look from the front by the sound proofing arent they?

Oh and I am near Banbury/ daventry.

Direct from VOWS site ( http://www.vow2.co.uk )

E and F and DW units cannot be fully turned off so are unsuitable if you intend to use 100% diesel at any point. Heated diesel looses its lubrication and must have some veg oil mixed with it. 10% should be enough.

Dist pump (sorry) ... fuel distribution pump often also referred to as the injector pump

as for the injectors.. its the nut securing the fuel line on the top that needs to be cracked not the whole injector loosened, a smalll turn to loosen the bolt is all that is needed to allow fuel / air to seep out, once running just tweak it back up, same procedure as if you were bleeding injectors on many non-self bleeding diesels

Cheers Steve

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 15:02:20 »

Direct from VOWS site ( http://www.vow2.co.uk )

E and F and DW units cannot be fully turned off so are unsuitable if you intend to use 100% diesel at any point. Heated diesel looses its lubrication and must have some veg oil mixed with it. 10% should be enough.

I am only running my diesel through a hot exchanger for about 1-2 minutes before turn off. Will this really make a massive difference to it siezing up or not?

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2008, 15:56:16 »
Prob not gonna cause any problems then, but worth remembering if you ever run out of veg and have to run on diesel for an extended period....:)

Cheers Steve

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 16:07:26 »
yes, I have thought about that predicament I might get myself into! I am thinking about getting a valve and put it into the hot water pipes to the heat exchanger so if I do have to fill with diesel for a ling time I can turn the water off to the exchanger. Can I get a valve to fit the water pipes though? they are the same diameter as the heater matrix pipes. 1/2" I think?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal