AuthorTopic: Woo Hoo, Got me an Off Roader  (Read 6600 times)

Offline boss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Woo Hoo, Got me an Off Roader
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 19:48:56 »
I run a 1995 3 door v8 discovery. Im still running the standard height suspension with 235/85/16 tyres on landrover alloys. I have got a h/d rear bumper, front steering guard, rear tank guard, snorkel and a side exit exhaust. I have found that it is VERY good off road without lifted suspension and the only thing that really let it down was the lack of travel.

If i was you i would go for the biggest tyres you could fit under the arches and get some protection and some recovery points and save your cash for the next 6 months. Come march i should be fitting the llama4x4 suspension kit on mine but then i would have had it a year  :dance:

Gavin.

P.s in some previous posts there shgould be some photos of my discovery with that size tyres on.

You'll have to keep me posted on the llama4x4 suspension kit, will be looking to do upgrades similar when a bit more experienced. 
i have it....its good lack of front flex tho but i think thats just the set up ive opted for.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Jonsey

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 18:28:45 »
Ok, got my new bits to fit this weekend, Steering Guard, Diff Guards and wheels and tyres.

Question, the Steering Guard is from Paddock and didn't come with fitting instructions, bolts, or anything! Where does it attach to the car and will i need to get extra/different bolts?

Cheers,

Chris

Offline bodgeitjo

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 19:25:39 »
hi if it is the one piece its a little tighter but still not to bad. firstly it bolts through the exsisting bumper holes.if the old bolts are long enough you can reuse these.(if you can get them out in one piece) and the back one on the drivers side bolts to the steering thingey. :-k i fink thats about it :-k
1989 110csw 200tdi                                                                                                                                      If it aint broke fix it till it is.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 20:22:53 »
You might need a bolt on the passenger side - if you look on the chassis you'll find a metal tube welded under the rail in front of the axle, the bolt goes through this and the steering guard side frame. Reuse bumper bolts if you can, the fourth attachment involves undoing the big nut holding the steering box brace on. This needs to be tightened to the right torque setting when you put it back.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Jonsey

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 10:00:15 »
You might need a bolt on the passenger side - if you look on the chassis you'll find a metal tube welded under the rail in front of the axle, the bolt goes through this and the steering guard side frame. Reuse bumper bolts if you can, the fourth attachment involves undoing the big nut holding the steering box brace on. This needs to be tightened to the right torque setting when you put it back.

Cheers, guys.

Does anyone know the correct torque setting then?

Offline GreedyGibson

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 23:40:33 »
Did mine up FT

L reg Discovery 200Tdi
2" Lift Procomp shocks Golddigger rear dislocation cones
Extended brake hoses
Rebel 4x4 Steering guard and Diff Guard
1st Four Winch Bumper with Tmax EW9500 Winch and cast fairlead
Dual batteries with X eng split charge system
Safari Snorkel
31.10/50 x 15 Broco Grizzly Claws On silver Modulars
Homemade Rocksliders (ta Boss)

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 16:28:09 »
yup

Folks,

There seems to be a lot of sweeping statements in this particular thread and buying stuff on the recommendations given might cost either more money and work or a monetary loss as you sell the items on when you find that they do not fit.

What works for a 3 door Disco doesn't work for a 5 door.
Some manufacturers tyre isn't the same size as everyone else's.
The width of the radius arms can be different (Ok it's mainly on Range Rovers)
The offset of the wheels that you use WILL make a difference.
Doing some modifications causes a knock on effect that means you need to do another two or three modifications.

You really ought to take a good look at what other people have done and find out the pitfalls. Look at some of the more modified vehicles and ask questions of those owners.
Trust me, the wheels and tyres are the cheap bits. It's what you have to do to make sure the traction stays going to the ground without breaking something else that matters.

I'd like to see anyone that has Technic Amazon 235/70 16 on a 5 door Disco with standard Disco steel wheels that hasn't had to raise the motor or cut the bodywork.

Ed
PS
I've had my Disco 11 years now and still finding stuff to do to him.
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal