AuthorTopic: 200TDI or V8EFI  (Read 3009 times)

ben_haynes

Re: 200TDI or V8EFI
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 22:32:05 »
I would go for which ever one you think yopu will enjoy the most.

All i will say though, and this is only from my off roading and only my OPINION.

I have mates with auto's and manual boxes, both great. Rangie, disco, defender and series, great. However, despite various plastic socks and other devices to ensure their v8 performs under water it doesnt. Not very well anyway and certainly not as well as my disco which had no wading mods.

sorry i diss agree yes ok i whent down on to 7 cyls for a minute or so but i took My rangie V8 carb through Tixover Lake (anyone who knows it only nutters take trucks with no Wading kits on through there) with no major issues and no wadeing kit at all

see here for a proper bow wave (ok it wasnt through the lake but it was a very deep puddle :lol:)

Offline CNorman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 19:14:35 »
Yer your right, it isnt a lake, it is a big puddle....

I went through stuff 50% deeper than that with my bog standard dsco and it never coughed at all, ever.

All i can say is that i had a dedicated off roader which was not used for work and as standard it was significantly better than all my mates v8's which had lots of time effort and money spent on them.

I would have a V8 for speed and performance/noise as i dont think diesels ever really do the job as well. But i would have a diesel for wading as its easier, cheaper and more reliable. Its more fit for purpose in my opinion.

If your works well then that is great but it is not the story i usually find when out with mates.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 20:21:06 »

aww... "B1NKY"  :lol:

if its your daily drive, TDi has to be the way... unless you have a gas conversion (and the issues associated with it)

as for a V8 giving similar MPG as a Tdi.......... 20MPG (on a good day) is NOT similar to 30MPG (plus) even after tweeks to boost and pump (and idiot at the wheel!)

noise of a Tdi?? hardly like as bad as a tranny van, and IMO "lets you know its still alive" personally i think its quieter than my rover SDi (turbo derv) i had!

acceleration? mine pulls fine up to 90 (not on a public road of course  :police:) and is rarely left behind...

take the easy route, rebuild the Tdi properly, and know you have a strong engine for years to come, and save what you would be putting into the tank of a V8 for a dedicated toy  :evil:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

ben_haynes

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 20:28:57 »

unfortunatly it is a V not a Y

but i might stick a screw in to make it a Y  [-X :police:

now she has a name BINKY or BINKV  :lol:

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 20:41:21 »
 :lol: :dance:
Wahey!

mines called Jew (From J*** UDU) ... as its always pinching the pennies! :grin:

Not trying to offend, merely stereotypical humour

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:21 »

if its your daily drive, TDi has to be the way... unless you have a gas conversion (and the issues associated with it)

as for a V8 giving similar MPG as a Tdi.......... 20MPG (on a good day) is NOT similar to 30MPG (plus) even after tweeks to boost and pump (and idiot at the wheel!)

noise of a Tdi?? hardly like as bad as a tranny van, and IMO "lets you know its still alive" personally i think its quieter than my rover SDi (turbo derv) i had!

acceleration? mine pulls fine up to 90 (not on a public road of course  :police:) and is rarely left behind...

take the easy route, rebuild the Tdi properly, and know you have a strong engine for years to come, and save what you would be putting into the tank of a V8 for a dedicated toy  :evil:

Sat outside, 300TDi with R380, 27MPG even after all the mods, electric fan etc.  Good for about 80MPH if you turn up the radio, nippy around town and a good towcar up to about 1,700Kg but don't ever tell me it's not noisey.

Next to it, 3.9 EFi with single point LPG.  Cost roughly the same/mile as the TDi, LT77 gearbox (which is awful) and sports pipe.  The engine is quiet but the diffs are shot.  It's the off-roader though and does very well thanks.

In the corner, 5.0 V8 auto on multipoint, it's never going to be economical but it doesn't use any more fuel towing our 1,900Kg caravan.  Happily tows 2,500Kg.  Biggest noise at, shall we say "cruising speed" is wind noise, despite the sports pipe.  My favourite motorway muncher, but as some **** put a dent in it outside B&Q it's going back into hiding.

At my sister's, 300TDi auto, good towcar.  Bizarely it did 30MPG in Wales and about 21MPG towing IIRC, fairly quick off the mark, comfy but still not as nice to cruise on the motorway as a V8.

I think I can safely say I've tried all possibly combinations, this week.

An LPG V8 wil cost about the same as a TDi, if you drive then both the same.  The V8 is capable of using more fuel.

Manual/auto is a matter of preference, either is a good choice and each has it's merrits.  For towing I'd go auto, I prefer auto off-road for the smooth power delivery and the engine braking is fine, my V8 can hold back the 'van on a 1 in 10 without using low box ;).  For economy I'd be tempted to say manual, but I'm not sure I can back it up with facts. In traffic, auto.

When buying a used LR, buy on condition and don't walk away from a good car because it's got the "wrong" engine or 'box.  If you want one or the other specifically then be prepared to look a bit harder for what you want (I spent a year looking for an LSE).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 18:39:30 »

Sat outside, 300TDi with R380, 27MPG even after all the mods, electric fan etc.  Good for about 80MPH if you turn up the radio, nippy around town and a good towcar up to about 1,700Kg but don't ever tell me it's not noisey.

I will tell you its not noisy! I had a 300tdi with an R380 with 133000 on the clock and it was excellent. Very refined and made less noise than my petrol suzuki grand viatara!

ben_haynes

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 19:23:07 »
I will tell you its not noisy! I had a 300tdi with an R380 with 133000 on the clock and it was excellent. Very refined and made less noise than my petrol suzuki grand viatara!

What do you expect from a Suzuki

My mums Disco 300TDi Auto is very noisy, ok my rangie has nearly Straight through Exhaust system but if i leave them idling i can hear that Dirty deisel :roll: over the purr of my V8 :drool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal