AuthorTopic: Number Plate crackdown  (Read 5576 times)

Offline davidlandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Number Plate crackdown
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 11:53:44 »
mines visable from the front if i get pulled for that fair comment but my reg isn't changed or loks no diff instead of L18 BWH it reads L18  BWH an extra  inch between numbers and letters

I shall see you in prison m8! ,
meanwhile somewhere some burglaries and stabbings are going on.....................
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 12:09:15 »
mines visable from the front if i get pulled for that fair comment but my reg isn't changed or loks no diff instead of L18 BWH it reads L18  BWH an extra  inch between numbers and letters.............

The rules on leter size and spacing are as strict as those for font and position of plate - therefore you are breaking the law just like  matey with S Bell, but to be frank I haven't got a gripe with that. My gripe is that I feel the police ought to be addressing some of the more serious issues that are affecting those people who pay their wages; by the way I don't blame the ploice - its the government that tells 'em what to do that are at fault. Just don't dare to complain or try to be different!
..V..

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 19:12:47 »
Ask a biker about number plates.Iv'e been stopped by the police and he had a tape measure and checked my plate for letter size's.Would'nt of minded but the bike had the same plate on it from the dealer when i brought it new.It even had the dealers name on it.It turned out to be spot on ,they must of been bored or something that day.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 19:21:55 »
hello,
reading this thread with interest,
would you say mine is illegal shown below?

it is held on by two black tie wraps, it has 2 large cracks in it and spot light bolt comes down on it,?

if it is it be ok " sorry officer "

cheers for any help
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 19:35:39 »
No but i think you might get 30 years for the yellow bar as that might scare someone while you drive past and they could fall under your wheels.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 20:29:07 »
Not this old chestnut again! :rolleyes: Boring! Kepp the plate legal, and no one will bother you!
If you want to be different, paint your car in a different colour or something!
I get fed up with those who seem to want to show off that thaye have spent loads of cash out on an illegal plate. From experience it seems to those who have BMW M3's, M5's, X3's or X5's
HELLO! I know what car you have, Cockbrain, so why feel the need the spend more of your money to draw attention to yourself?
Its like the people who spend money to get the word SEXY in their number plate. They might as well get a notice that says "I am an ugly small minded person with an over inflated opinion of their prowess between the sheets, and by the way if you fancy an easy lay, see me behind the nearest KFC"
I get more job satisfaction out of catching burglars, rapists etc etc.

Again these are my opinions and do not reflect that of the Police, blah blah boring moan fart gone to sleep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,......................

Play by the rules and you'll be OK. :police:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 20:42:09 by Lord Shagg-Pyle »

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 22:55:39 »
maybe true but i didnt spend any money on that plate infact i got it off the old rusty bumper with a hammer and screwdriver
 ( the reason why it cracked  :lol:)
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Wireless

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 03:58:45 »
As long as its off a vehicle thats the same make and model...plod will be none the wiser, but don't go telling everyone, they could be watching.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 07:53:33 »
As long as its off a vehicle thats the same make and model...plod will be none the wiser, but don't go telling everyone, they could be watching.

I didn't see a thing! Thats very kind sir, the tickets for the Police Ball will be in the post!

Offline Niel

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 20:03:14 »

I didn't see a thing! Thats very kind sir, the tickets for the Police Ball will be in the post!
I wonder how long it would take if I were to use this one:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/2100943460_f659f849cf_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2100944228_c03c59f87a_b.jpg

Niel.

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 12:17:45 »
Personally I don't have a problem with this as I don't see why people think its such an effort to display legal number plates on a vehicle.  If you keep breaking those cheep crappy plastic plates (which are rubbish to be fair, don't think any other country uses them) then you can get pressed metal reflective ones, some of which are approved to the current standard and are legal!

If your vehicle is old and doesn't have the plates with the current British standard on it that's actually fine, you don't need to display BS it if its registered pre 2001 (basically not on the current age system, or maybe Y reg (though that might just be the emissions tax date)).  If you replace the plate on an old vehicle then it should probably have the current standard on it but how can you prove when the new plates were made?  If its readable and spaced properly then I can't see anyone checking that one.

If your pre 73 and like me you think plates are too expensive/hard to get, just paint your number in white/silver letters to a black part of the vehicle - its actually legal to do this so long as its clear and an appropriate size, at that age there is no mandatory font.  If your vehicle is younger than 73, get over it, whats wrong with reflective plates anyway? Want to fit black lights to match the paint too?  If I was a copper and stopped someone with illegal plates but some legal ones in the back that they'll fit there and then I'd throw the book at them, blatantly guilty as sin and they know it!

Yes pulling people over for these sorts of things are agueably a bit petty but then most have actively chosen to try and bend or blatantly break the rules, what makes them special to do as they please? Hopefully the police will pick up on the dangerous illegal HID converted headlamps some of these vehicles also run, the only thing they convert well is dipped beam into my face.  Its a shame they are only cracking down on this so road charging schemes have an easier job fining you but it does have benefits to you...  Big brother is here to stay and if your truck gets nicked, I think theres possibly some increased chance one of the many plate recognition systems around might gather some info helping find where it went, after all, any info is good on this matter - you'll never know if your plates weren't readable.  Also, if YOU were the victim of something like a hit and run but no one could read the plate of the offending motor, how annoyed would YOU be?  Also applies to uninsured/taxed cars, they are getting allot now through plate recognition, that means there are a few less out there to write off your pride and joy - another plus I think.

Sound's like I get a bit worked up about this which is kind of true, but ultimately I know I can't get too mad as this is something people will always be breaking I suspect.  Maybe they should simply crush any vehicle with a deliberately tampered with plate, see how many people run illegal plates then?  Hopefully if they fine enough people to make it annoying for drivers with bad plates there might be less people doing it so the police can deal with something else.

Chill, its just my opinion and not aimed at anyone specifically.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 13:13:55 »
Your opinions - no prob with that. But by clamping down on petty misdomenours like this the government arn't doing anything to make it harder form criminals - just criminalising normaly respectable people. Lets face it real crooks will do as little as posible to draw attention to themselves, but by deamonising individuality (which by its nature makes the culprit easier to identify - which is the idea of numberplates anyway) the pwers that be keep us all, scarred and divided and stop us questioning what(if any) their real agenda is! Be affraid - very affraid; Big Brother is watching you!
..V..

Offline Krull

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 15:09:49 »
Will never understand this one if you have a legal plate there is no worry.
If it broke, I wasn't there.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 15:22:28 »
I'm defintely in the camp of the "Keep it Legal" brigade. 'taint difficult!

As for the so called waste of police time etc etc...

I think you'll find that this clamp down works as a "loss leader" in retail terms. Sell a product at a loss in order to sell more of the expensive things for a net gain.

I'm certain that in the process of stopping the many and varied people with illegal number plates, some will have no tax, some will have no insurance, some will have warrants for failing to appear, some will be wanted with respect to other more serious crimes.

Sure I'd like to see a boby on foot in every street, with a team of CID available for every single crime, but face it folks... how much tax do you want to pay?

Skibum

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 15:34:09 »
And when they ban Greenlaning or Motorsport 'cos it's dangerous, will you give that up. The only people who say there is a connection between illegal plates and other crimes are senior police or 'government types', and we believe them without question! I know I keep ranting on about this one, and to be fair its a minor issue and not realy worth the argument(although one I have a personnal interest in as a Biker). The big issue is the way we seem to accept what we're told without question these days. Fuel prices go up, we pay; laws are passed, we obey; your neighbours a terrorist, we believe. We need to learn to question facts, decisions and prejudices again - Viva L'revolution comrades.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 15:37:33 by glaggs »
..V..

Offline Krull

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 15:43:35 »
if they have anpr set up to spot these people it will highlight no tax no insurance and stuff. it is a win win situation. i do not want to be hit by an illegal driver as i will have to pay for it. bring on the anpr and get these illegal users off the roads and crush their cars.
If it broke, I wasn't there.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 16:00:00 »
They can already crack down on un-taxed and un-insured vehicles through the computer data base, they don't need to spend time and money with road side crack downs. If some one is driving without tax or insurance do you realy think the plate on the vehicle will help catch them. Its probably reistered in some previous owners name or has a properly illegal plate ( as in totaly made up or lifted from a similar car) made up and fitted.

On a slightly different tact but same theme - while working in the Motor tradr I  sold a vehicle tpo a traffic police officer who suggested it might be a good idea when making up his number plate to get a couple of the didgets mixed up? I have also been pulled by the traffic police and told I had an illegal plate when I knew it to be perfectly in complience with the law. He didn't know Motor cycles were allowed slightly smaller letters than cars! Still got a producer and the hassel that goes with it.
..V..

Offline nikmartin9

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2008, 15:14:03 »
I have no problem with people being pulled and if they have an illegal plate then they get whats coming, its that fact that they have a month long purge with roadside offficers etc for what is basically a very minor offence and not even considered a crime. Then when your car gets broken into they cant get an officer out becuase they are all "busy". Where are the month long crackdowns on car theft, house break ins, on the travelling community trashing our trading estates and shooting out security cameras and lights, umpteen other "real crimes" that deserve far more police attention than a motorist that hasnt got his number plate spacing correct.

In the majority of such cases they make the vehicle more easy to trace not less because they are so blatantly obvious and memorable.

Just my opinion!
1997 Disco 300TDi Commercial (toy)
2005 Audi A6 Avant 2.7TDi tiptronic (everyday car)

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 15:53:41 »
 :clap:
..V..

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 16:14:26 »
Wish they would do it around our way. I have just reported, for the third time, an Impreza parked in our street with no tax and a stupid plate!!
:police: :evil: :evil: :evil: :police:
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline Jonathan M

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2008, 16:25:55 »
is it not about time the police had a crackdown on muggers, thiefs, anti social behavior etc why allways motorists

Sometimes its the thieving scum who will have dodgy plates, for drive away fuel fill ups, and generally not following the laws - including speeding &  driving without MOT & insurance. SO yes, its pants that this is big brother, but for the 90% of law abiding motorists then we shouldn't worry about it, if it means that stopping the dodgy plated vehicles means a few rustbuckets are removed & crushed becuase of lack of insurance etc.
Nissan terrano 2 SWB Kumho tyres hella lights

Offline paul and sam

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 00:10:35 »
so whats the thought  on this .................... i have a stick on plate on the front of the "misstress" its been on there for at least three years and she is on a k reg is this illegal or leagal? i am so confused :doh: :roll:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 00:22:31 »
White/silver on black plates used to be illegal after about 1970 IIRC, the extra 3 years came in when tax exemption was introduced (or was it when it was capped at 1973 :-k) because it makes them stand out etc etc.

As for the metal pressed ones, there was talk about them becoming the legal standard in line with Europe, because they are more 'serviceable' ie they don't crack.

But when the cost of them was about £50 a pair and plastic ones were still a fiver,it didn't get any further.

Pressed metal plates are legal in the UK and were fitted by lots of dealers in the past, I just think they look ugly.

What I can't believe is legal are the cheapo plastic plates fitted to my Micra, they look like stick on number that have been laminated onto a bit of yellow card.  Fitted by the stealer though so.....
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 08:52:47 »
is it not about time the police had a crackdown on muggers, thiefs, anti social behavior etc why allways motorists

Sometimes its the thieving scum who will have dodgy plates, for drive away fuel fill ups, and generally not following the laws - including speeding &  driving without MOT & insurance. SO yes, its pants that this is big brother, but for the 90% of law abiding motorists then we shouldn't worry about it, if it means that stopping the dodgy plated vehicles means a few rustbuckets are removed & crushed becuase of lack of insurance etc.

I,m sure that sometimes what you say is true in a minority of cases. But criminals ain't thick and won't draw attention to themselves unnecessarily and so will just fit a ficticious, stolen or cloned plate so some innocent motorist gets the ticket. The issue is how easily the government can draw attention away from an innabillity to do something about serious crime by getting everyone supporting them in their crack down on minor infringements such as imaginative number plates. If it was a big issue why arn't they fining people as they park down the street during their regular patrols.

Next time someone posts that their precious 4x4 was nicked and it took 48 hrs for the police to respond - remember they were probably busy manining a road side number plate crackdown or a speed cheek on the local dual carriage way were there hasn't been an accident in 30 years but people regularly break the limit. (not speculation - heard it from the man holding the camera)
..V..

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 09:34:34 »
i no someone with the number plate t7t me for txt me, she been pulled over loads, but i realy think the police have better things to worry about, i.e harder crimes, :police:
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2008, 01:07:23 »
i no someone with the number plate t7t me for txt me, she been pulled over loads, but i realy think the police have better things to worry about, i.e harder crimes, :police:
TSEVENT ME ?
I never did get the hang of that text speak  :rolleyes:
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal