Vehicle & Technical > Toyota

Buying Land Cruiser for expeditions, any tips?

<< < (2/6) > >>

beatmasterdave:
how do i split the different models down? idealy im after a big diesel, dont know if i want auto or manual yet, and age wise, pref 1995+ i think. land cruiser 80? is this a better one to look at? what distinguishes each model number, 70 80 95 105 etc? :huh: :huh:

paul_humphreys:
LC80 are the ones to get. But join the Landcruisers owners forum, lots of info. www.tlocuk.co.uk

Paul

thermidorthelobster:
I got some good responses in this thread not long ago.

I met a guy in Africa who had a 1989 70-series with a 4.2l NA diesel.  He swore by it - it'd done a few laps of Africa and had been as reliable as you could ever want.  The only thing he could say against it was the economy wasn't brilliant.

simondarby:
I sold my 95 300tdi Disco and now run a SWB LJ70 Cruiser.  Biggest difference is refinement and power.

Apart from that, the Cruiser feels more solid and has no rust despite the fact it's a 1990 model.  The main reason I sold the Disco was rust.

80 Series will be more refined and powerful than Disco.  They are big too.  Often referred to as the best overland expedition truck you can get.

I wouldn't go back to a Disco now, but I would like more power...

Si

wildsmith:

--- Quote from: beatmasterdave on January 20, 2008, 21:25:43 ---how do i split the different models down? idealy im after a big diesel, dont know if i want auto or manual yet, and age wise, pref 1995+ i think. land cruiser 80? is this a better one to look at? what distinguishes each model number, 70 80 95 105 etc? :huh: :huh:

--- End quote ---
The big rounded cruisers with flares like in Paul's picture are the 80 series. They only come in 4.2TD diesel or 4.5EFi petrol. You don't need to look at the other models for what you want to do  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version