AuthorTopic: 200 to 300  (Read 1396 times)

Offline discowoman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
  • Referrals: 0
200 to 300
« on: January 10, 2008, 15:13:03 »
OK so all being well the Espace is being bogged off in exchange for a 200Tdi Disco, now only ever owning V8's or 300 Tdi's, what differences should I expect - I know it Hasnt got anti roll bars (neither had my V8) and the Interior is slightly different  - but apart from that whats the differences?
also are there any problem areas specific to the 200 (5 door)  i should look for (boot floor -sills - inner wings - leaky sunroofs I know about)
Thanks

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 200 to 300
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 15:38:20 »
Not owning one the main things I'm aware of

200s have a reputation for being the best engine LR made, if not the quietest
the headlights are shocking
the dashboard peels and the steering wheels look tired after a while
the axles are only 10 spline, but I think very strong
the insruments aren't as good and the spedo is mechanical, so it can be tampered with ;)
you'll get less toys.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline python

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 16:30:12 »
hi, i have a 200 tdi on a 93 k plate, dash is'nt peeling, mine has big milage and so far dont know of any problems with mine, touch wood.  :grin: but look at the inner wings, especially where the airbox goes through the inner wing, also sills boot floor rear arches and rear xmember. just make sure all the windows work, rear ones mostly.

Offline chris9119

Attack Member
  • The New Big Boy, Gert...
    • Lordswood, Kent
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 16:45:15 »
I have a 200tdi, 1993.

It has 24-spline diffs/half shafts.
Head lights are ok...., have wired them through relays
Gear & transfer box need to be checked...., urbanised hi/low - diff lock
Timing belt needs to be checked...., if you ain't got no history, change it now.
If its been used of road, check boot floor, and rad/intercooler for being "rusty"
Electrics are usually ok, except for the cables within the engine bay (off side, wrapped in a gauze), these corrode
Props need checking, along with wheel bearings, brake disks/pads

Other than that, its ok.
Chris
Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chris9119/gallery

Mud-Clubbers do it on channel 30

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 16:55:37 »
Cool, so reading those last few posts it seems to be Better in some areas -and worse in other (lights) .. hmm looks like i may be looking on Ebay for some 300 lights and indicators  (unless theres something else I can fit)
Also will the 300 rear bumper fit? (paranoid about rear end shunts)
Also is it true that Rover 100/metro stalks fit (indicators and wipers?) as i have heard problems can occur with them?
May also be looking for a Range Rover seat set - like my comfort!! lol
1 last thing for now, has anyone ever coloured the dash and door cards on a 200 as i am not a fan of all that Blue  :oops: and would like to do them either Grey or Black (depending on what Interior I can fit later on.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 17:05:45 »
I believe the later 200's K-L reg changed to 24spline shafts.
Usual rot on inner arches & boot floor.
Make sure it has a good service history with cambelt change.
If you fancy changing the interior I will be braking a 200 disco soon as I'm pinching the engine & g/box for my 90.  The interior is beige & even has the removable soft cubby box  :shock:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Pete

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 21:47:04 »
 Had my current 200 for about eight years, with no real problems. Usual service items, and two small patches for the last MOT, inner wings.  Boot floor is soild as a rock, as are the sills and cab floor.
 Chopped the rear arches and bumper end caps a bit, to get 265s under it.  It has quite a few scratches, and a couple of small dents, but starts and runs well.
 Main thing is to keep the oils clean.
 One thing no one else has mentioned. They are the most economical Discovery on the road.
 Pete.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 13:13:48 »
Had my current 200 for about eight years, with no real problems. Usual service items, and two small patches for the last MOT, inner wings.  Boot floor is soild as a rock, as are the sills and cab floor.
 Chopped the rear arches and bumper end caps a bit, to get 265s under it.  It has quite a few scratches, and a couple of small dents, but starts and runs well.
 Main thing is to keep the oils clean.
 One thing no one else has mentioned. They are the most economical Discovery on the road.
 Pete.

Not true, my old 300tdi was far better on fuel than the 3 200tdi's i have had.

The debate on the engines has been going for years, some will think one is better than the other.  At the end of the day it doesnt really matter, both of them run well and will do well into 300,000 miles if treated right (my current 200tdi has done 230,000 and is going strong).

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 15:18:22 »
As long as I can bung some gool old Bio into the Tank - i'm happy!!!
Well hes just got back in touch - he took it for an MOT - and it failed   :'(..........On 2 tyres  :dance:
Sop all being well, next weekend should be the owner of a Disco - again!!!!! :cool:

Offline python

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 17:05:55 »
goodluck with the new car, remember the pics.  :clap:

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 18:24:38 »
goodluck with the new car, remember the pics.  :clap:
Will do don't worry  ;)

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 10:17:13 »
OK a few more things have sprung to mind
How often should the cambelt be changed? Disco is currently on 145k, so i presume it should have been done once or twice by now :huh:
does the 'clutch fork' problem affect these models?
is there a simple fix to the lack of headlight power (bulbs or swap)
I have heard lots of comments about the 200 being the most economical (betwen 200 and 300) now is there any proof of this? or is it all down to individual driving styles?
we do mainly 'in town' driving with the odd longer journey so in previous disco 300 diesels we have struggled to get 30mpg as an average...-
And as a last point, does anyone like Rostyles when fitted to a Disco?
(may know to a set of 5 with nice 'chunkies' on ;)

Offline CHIPFAT

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 21:48:38 »
Hi there, just been looking through some threads  :dance: . just wanna congratulate frontywoman you are the first person I've seen nicking my disco  :clap: :clap: (i take it a complement, must have been alright if others wanna use it)  :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Please don't take this as having a go, i knew it would happen. please feel free to mod it in any way you want (i still feel the front door needs changing)

2x 200tdi Disco's ....V8 Rangie.(Breaking) ....Landie 110 Pickup.(rusted chassis, open to offers)
Scrap Metal, Cars And Light Vans Collected

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:10 »
Hi there, just been looking through some threads  :dance: . just wanna congratulate frontywoman you are the first person I've seen nicking my disco  :clap: :clap: (i take it a complement, must have been alright if others wanna use it)  :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Please don't take this as having a go, i knew it would happen. please feel free to mod it in any way you want (i still feel the front door needs changing)
LOL.. I did think about nicking the whole thing - but seeing as I'm getting a Blue disco I just nicked that bit..will play later to add a few options  :twisted:

Good work By the Way ;)

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 11:00:08 »
Cool, so reading those last few posts it seems to be Better in some areas -and worse in other (lights) .. hmm looks like i may be looking on Ebay for some 300 lights and indicators  (unless theres something else I can fit)
Also will the 300 rear bumper fit? (paranoid about rear end shunts)
Also is it true that Rover 100/metro stalks fit (indicators and wipers?) as i have heard problems can occur with them?
May also be looking for a Range Rover seat set - like my comfort!! lol
1 last thing for now, has anyone ever coloured the dash and door cards on a 200 as i am not a fan of all that Blue  :oops: and would like to do them either Grey or Black (depending on what Interior I can fit later on.

cheapest way to convert 200 series lights to 300 light , get all the front end from a breaking 300 series from the breakers yard or ebay . There is a kit you can buy but its about 250 quid.

im not a fan of the blue interior too u could always spray the interior panel any colour u like

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal