AuthorTopic: First car  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Tommo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
First car
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 18:49:58 »
common or popular?

Part of the reason why i drive a land rover is because it makes a statement about me. It says that i value function over comfort. And land rovers are often driven by people who need a vehicle to do a job. If a farmer needs a motor to pull his livestock trailer through muddy fields then he doesent think "ah if i buy this japanese 4x4 and rip all the interior out so it doesent get clogged with mud, lift the suspension and fit some scaffold pipe to stop the plastic bits getting ripped off then it will do it a treat!"

And lets face it, a defender is one of the few vehicles left that can hack it off road straight out of the box. why modify somthing else to do the same job?
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline muddymesser

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 19:39:01 »
Quote from: "Tommo"
common or popular?

Part of the reason why i drive a land rover is because it makes a statement about me. It says that i value function over comfort. And land rovers are often driven by people who need a vehicle to do a job. If a farmer needs a motor to pull his livestock trailer through muddy fields then he doesent think "ah if i buy this japanese 4x4 and rip all the interior out so it doesent get clogged with mud, lift the suspension and fit some scaffold pipe to stop the plastic bits getting ripped off then it will do it a treat!"

And lets face it, a defender is one of the few vehicles left that can hack it off road straight out of the box. why modify somthing else to do the same job?

honestly i can see your poin with the defenders

but as for discos freelanders and the non classic range rover (i kinda like th classic) i cant see the point in the new range rovers (never yet seen 1 with th tinyest bit of mud/dirt on it) i've seen fat boy vits go places standard freelands cant and i know people with disco1s 2s n 3s and the disco 3 is the g4 version and he constantly has electrical problems with it the disco 2 td5 has been in the garrage in a weekly basis near enough
would a midget fall over doing the limbo???

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 19:57:51 »
yeah. the new range rovers are very much a country manor type thing, as the range rover has always been. and a fair few round here get used where a 2wd car would struggle. so you could say they could make do with a subaru justy, or panda 4x4. but if your loaded, then its gotta be the range rover.

In my mind the freelanders and disco's are farmers wives cars. will still get her back to the farm in the snow, will do for the farm work when the defender is broken. but its got all the luxurys that SWMBO enjoys.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline muddymesser

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 20:17:24 »
havent discos got permant 4wd going through a diff in the center which means lifting 1 wheel from the ground ant it will be stuck ??? unless its 1 of the newer 1s with tration control ?

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 20:21:01 »
Quote from: "muddymesser"
havent discos got permant 4wd going through a diff in the center which means lifting 1 wheel from the ground ant it will be stuck ??? unless its 1 of the newer 1s with tration control ?

Yes, unless you lock the centre diff (just push the transfer box lever to the left on a Disco 1). It's more or less the same drivetrain as a Defender but with slightly different gearing.

A stock Disco on the right tyres will go anywhere a 110 can and most places a 90 can.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline jimthelandyman

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 20:25:49 »
land rover maybe popular mmm i wonder why....they are the best and suzukis look like hairdressers cars oh and my mum had one lol get ur sen a real 4x4 no jap plastic invaded rubbish

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 20:35:22 »
I had a Grand vitara and a Suzuki Vitara and found both very good. They are 100% reliable and I never got them stuck. Even my mate who drives a Landie was impressed.
Its a matter of poinion and I suppose also down to insurance if you are young. I drive a Terrano II it costs £300 a year fully comp to insure, now if I had to pay a £1000 than it would go and I would get something cheaper.
I suspect a Vit or SJ would be cheaper to insure than a 90 unless you co for a series.

Deep down I do want a 90 big time but its convincing swmbo! :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline muddymesser

Attack Member
First car
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 21:17:23 »
Quote from: "jimthelandyman"
land rover maybe popular mmm i wonder why....they are the best and suzukis look like hairdressers cars oh and my mum had one lol get ur sen a real 4x4 no jap plastic invaded rubbish

nothin wrong with jap 4x4s

can i ask how many of you have got a land rover earlier than the year 2000 that hasnt had something wrong with it  . . .  i can guess theres not many of you  :lol:

the only downside to an sj is they dont have as much power (ok they dont rely on power)

and the fiat panda is just as good as the newer range rover only with a slight height problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

and my sep mums 8 valve vit has been pulling out land rovers

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
First car
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 00:50:41 »
1st car i used was our 110
1st one that i used that i bought was my '86 rangie. insurance worked out cheaper than on mums rover 214.
NFU.
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal