AuthorTopic: Wierd thing happened today  (Read 394 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wierd thing happened today
« on: December 23, 2007, 17:54:05 »
My disco wouldn't start up and even jump starting it, it wouldnt go. This isnt wierd from the previous few months running :(

I went and bought a 750a battery which only just fits in the space and started the disco first time  :D

When it started I got plumes of black greyish smoke out the back. I am guessing that is due to the fact it turned over so many times and didnt fire it was just getting rid of the unburnt fuel?

But along with this the rev counter stopped working for a few seconds and then it came back to life! I have seen previous posts about rev counter conected to the alternator. This just baffled me though on why it normaly works, chuck a new battery on and it didnt work for a few seconds. It works now though. Famous last words!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 15:01:14 »
u might have a lose belt some where mine used to do that for abit till i tighten all the belts. plus u get a lower chargeing rating instead of about 14.4v normal rate

Offline cardiff_gareth

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 15:07:08 »
rev counter not working or dropping up and down is gernerally down to a poor contact on the 'W' connector on the rear of the alternator, good copper brush, clean it all up and put back on should rectify it  :wink:

If loose belt - by that I think you mean drive belt would possibly result in screatching  as the belt slips on the pulleys and also a dull battery light on the dash.

I'd so the W connector first before looking for anything else  :wink:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal