AuthorTopic: good deed !!  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
good deed !!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 13:13:43 »
Be very careful asking for money in rreturn for a "service".  By charging money you cross into being a business.  If all hell breaks loose and you are liable, where's your insurance, your liability cover?  even something as stupid as the person you are recovering then running into you?

I used to stop and offer to help but I got sick of it being thrown in my face, so as said before if someone is at risk then I'll help, otherwise I leave well alone.

Oh, and did anyone else have to sign a declaration that they will only use their winch for self-recovery? Ignore that are you aren't insured.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 15:16:31 »
Quote from: "karlo"
Quote from: "JumboBeef"
Hi Karlo,

Would you mind reading this thread?

Thanks.

And?

The point is that due to the pictures etc at the bottom of your postings, the page is too wide even for a desktop monitor, never mind a laptop.

So it was a subtle polite request to either remove or shrink them somehow??
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
good deed !!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 16:13:48 »
Quote from: "crazymac"
Hi Karlo,

Thanks.

And?

The point is that due to the pictures etc at the bottom of your postings, the page is too wide even for a desktop monitor, never mind a laptop.

My signature was approved by one of the Administrators, it is a perfect fit on my 17" desktop screen and my 15" laptop screen, its been there for quite a while.

If you have a problem please put it through the appropriate channels and I will discuss it with an Administrator not someone who has took it upon themselves to police the forum.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 16:34:09 »
Quote from: "crazymac"
Hi Karlo,

Thanks.

And?

My signature was approved by one of the Administrators, it is a perfect fit on my 17" desktop screen and my 15" laptop screen, its been there for quite a while.

If you have a problem please put it through the appropriate channels and I will discuss it with an Administrator not someone who has took it upon themselves to police the forum.

Don't you think that that was a bit of an overreaction to what was a simple POLITE request to consider your signature?

Get off your high horse and take a chill pill
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 16:41:27 »
I will only discuss it further through the proper channels.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
good deed !!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 18:02:20 »
I think the polite way should of been to PM karlo advising him that due to his signature you are experiencing problems.

Or use the report post button [!] - that would then flag it up to the people that look after the forum.

If you have a problem that's what we are here for ;-)

Back on topic please.
Paul Wright

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 18:02:34 »
Two points.....firstly...

thermidorthelobster

I think there's an element of extrapolation going on here. We DON'T have a "sue everything" society - which is exactly why several of the companies offering no-win, no-fee ambulance chasing lawyers went out of business.

In fact I've heard we're less litigious than other Western European countries. So I'm not going to go assuming everybody's out to sue me until it actually starts happening.

I will in this instance quite wantonly extrapolate, on the basis that from past experience we DO live in a "sue everything" society.

One instance being, a few years ago my dog (..a GSD) apparently bit the post woman. Now it seems this wasn't without provacation on her behalf and the dog, through a combination of fear and "baiting", bit her on the derrier....now bear in mind no-one actually saw it happen, she just claimed it had...no blood, no ripped trousers etc....two weeks later we get a letter from the Postal Unions Legal department informing us we were to be sued for £15 000!!
 :shock:
Now to cut a very long story short, when it did get to court (..as I defended the action) her solicitors tried to blame me for a road accident in which she was involved some 3 years later!! in order to bolster her claim for damages....thankfully the judge thought the very notion was laughable and so told them they could only claim for the bite alone...she settled eventually for £1500.....so YES, we do live in a sue all society, as it isn't that long since posties getting bitten was part and parcel of the job. :shock:
(...and I have a suspicion the reason most of the "ambulance chasers" went out of business is because everyone jumped on the money spinner bandwagon....it got to the point where only the biggest (..or the sneakiest?!) survived...the rest folded and disappeared into obscurity...same as any saturated business sector)

Secondly...I think you're on your own with your problems with Karlo's signature.  :shock:  :? ....I run this forum through 2 different computers and a laptop, and it doesn't stretch or malform the picture....and if you browse the forums often enough there are worse ones...and similarly, if you do have some kind of grieveance, then the POLITE thing to do would have been to PM Karlo first...and if you still didn't feel happy, then contact the mod/admin team...erm...that's kinda what they are there for.  

:)  :)
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 18:31:08 »
I got a phonecall off a friend about 4 months ago asking if i was willing to help the local gamekeeper out of a bit of a pickle. being the helpful soul i am i jumped in the 110 and was there in 10 mins. got there to find a disco 2 pulling an 18ft ifor williams trailer full of baby pheasants stuck in a muddy field on a dangerously steep sideslope. the setup had already jackknifed from the disco slipping down the hill from spinning its wheels.

priority was with the birds as there were hundreds of them and no one (especially gamekeepers) likes to see stressed animals. so we unhitched the trailer and i pulled it backwards on to safe ground. i attatched a rope to the disco with my motor perpendicular to it (so if he slipped sideways it would pull me down forwards, less risk of us both rolling) and carefully he drove out of the rough section.

Now these birds were to be transported all around the moor, getting dropped off in pens along the way. and i felt it very harsh to leave them to struggle through the rest of the day in the A/T shod disco. so i took the trailer for them everywhere they needed to go, for the best part of the day.

They all made it very clear that if i ever needed anything just to give them a shout and they would be there.

Its not always an easy life but co operation helps a lot.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 19:25:18 »
One last post on the signature I'm afraid :roll:

If you look back at the thread you will see that jumbobeef merely posted a link that directs the user to the thread about signature lengths and ASKED "Hi Karlo, would you mind reading this thread, Thanks" this is something that has been done on several other threads.

Karlo's response to that was "and?"

I merely stepped in and explained to Karlo that his signature is a bit wide on some computers (which mine is one, but it makes no difference to others)

"The point is that due to the pictures etc at the bottom of your postings, the page is too wide even for a desktop monitor, never mind a laptop.
So it was a subtle polite request to either remove or shrink them somehow??"

Frankly, Karlo, in my humble opinion became VERY snotty with his response by using bold writing and saying that he would only discuss it through the appropriate channels and "not someone who has took it upon themselves to police the forum."

That was an unwarranted attack and so I took it upon myself to tell him to "Get off your high horse and take a chill pill " as i really felt he was overreacting to what was originally a polite request by jumbobeef.

If people cannot come on this forum without calming down from what is causing them stress in their life and resultingly having a go at people who are merely expressing an opinion then I for one won't be hanging around here, life is too short!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
good deed !!
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 19:29:12 »
{enters waving arms to calm down}

Situation being assessed.

Nothing to see here ;-)
--
Neil

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 07:50:03 »
Oh dear. :cry:

Sorry to all.  I didn't mean to start a punch -up.  The sig in question does make it difficult to read the thread on my desk top and so I thought I was doing the right thing in posting a link to a thread all about sigs.

Humble appologies if I did it/said it all wrong.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
good deed !!
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 10:30:47 »
Karlo has responded in a positive way by making his signature pics smaller, thanks Karlo, although it didn't affect me personally I applaud his action.

Can we have a group hug now  :wink:  and return to the subject in hand.  :)
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 11:20:29 »
Nice one Karlo, consider the group hug done from Pembrokeshire =D>
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
good deed !!
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 12:24:00 »
Quote from: "Tommo"
I got a phonecall off a friend about 4 months ago asking if i was willing to help the local gamekeeper out of a bit of a pickle.

I guess it depends on who asks you and how.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline karlo

Attack Member
good deed !!
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 13:15:40 »
It was done after a polite conversation between JumboBeef and myself

JumboBeef has a 15" screen and this is where the problem lies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal