AuthorTopic: Bad starter  (Read 5363 times)

Offline dazzawhipple

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bad starter
« on: January 20, 2005, 14:04:25 »
I have a 90 Petrol that struggles to start when warm,

I am due to service all the electrical side this weekend and clean the fuel filter out but this issue with starting seems to be fuel starvation, I have read that the carb needs overhauling and the black thing on the bulkhead needs cleaning.
Has anybody had this problem before if so how did you solve it???????????

Cheers

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 14:06:49 »
Is there a heat shield around the carb ?    It's sometimes an issue with carbs, as the fuel vaporises with the heat from the exhaust.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 15:18:13 »
Had this prob on a car  once, turned out the fuel was flowing back in to the tank, fitted a one way valve in the fuel pipe and prob solved
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline stefan

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 15:22:07 »
Darren,

If one of the symptoms is that when you put your foot down, you feel like you are driving against a severe head wind, until you back off slightly, then it probably is a carb issue, my 90 had loads of issues and after replacing all electrical bits I bought a carb overhaul kit and fitted that, it's been fine ever since. There was a load of crap floating around, and I think this was being sucked in and intermittently blocking the jet. You may need to buy two additional gaskets which don't come with the kit, one that fits between the carb and it's rubber mounting block, and the one between the block and the inlet manifold. As for the 'black thing' on the bulkhead, I don't know what that does exactly, but it appears sealed, and as it's on the clean side of the fuel filter, should be OK?

Hope that helps?

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
Bad Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 18:34:13 »
Yep sometimes like driving into a head wind ......................better aquire a carb kit

cheers

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 09:05:08 »
Help Which model weber was a standard fit onto LR (I have orignal bill for the landrover and all it says is a weber carb)

Cheers

Darren
G'Day

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 09:16:33 »
Didn't think any Weber carb was fitted as standard  :?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline stefan

Attack Member
Bad starter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 09:25:45 »
It is a Weber 32/34 DMTL, the overhaul kit is part No. RTC5863.

Hope that helps.

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal