AuthorTopic: Green laning  (Read 3350 times)

Offline muddydisco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Green laning
« on: November 30, 2007, 15:33:56 »
How do sj 413 handle green laning, what kind of mod's would you recommend.

How many of you green lane in  sj

Cheers aaron
YOU BEND IT YOU MEND IT

Offline GREENI

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 15:52:27 »
Depends on what green lanes you go on....but to be fair, a friend of mine had one and it was pretty standard and it had no worries at pretty much everything we tried it on, I only had to drag it a couple of times.
I think they rule !!

Offline mud4brains

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 14:08:28 »
you will be suprised where they go standard :twisted:
landrover , repairs and modifacations undertaken
located in surrey
pm for details
cheers
mark

Offline StuartL

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 14:16:21 »
By far the first investment is a decent set of tyres.  Depending on your choices they could set you back £100 for a second hand set, £200-£300 for a good new set up to three times the value of the vehicle for a competition tyre.

Don't even worry too much about the tyre size, there's always a cost to the different sizes and just try something and see what you think.

A quick guide:

Large/small diameter

The larger the tyre the easier the vehicle will climb over small obstacles, however the harder it is for the vehicle to turn the wheel (think turning moments if you're a physicist).  Therefore there's typically a good compromise.  Stick with the stock tyre size until you know enough to know what's better.

Wide/narrow treads

Narrow tyres cut through the surface much more effectively and are good for loose surface or shallow mud.  Wide tyres float on the surface and give better overall traction (especially in the dry) but are useless on very slippery surfaces.

Tread pattern

This is almost a religious war in its own right.  If you're going to spend a lot of time on tarmac don't waste your money on mud tyres.  They'll wear out pretty quickly and you'll end up replacing them frequently.  A decent set of All Terrain (AT) tyres will do well for a lot of green lanes but if you're getting into the sticky stuff you will notice a big difference in a set of Mud Terrains (MT).  Don't be too fooled by all the shiny marketing in a mud tyre.  Almost all of the mud tyres now copy each others tread patterns and while they do perform differently in different conditions overall they're pretty comparable.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 14:54:23 »
A standard SJ will go anywhere a standard Landrover will go
..V..

Offline **em**

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 16:10:45 »
both mine are modified but you dont need to do anything i know plenty of people that take them all over the place standard and they do fine..
Sedrick - 1989 Suzuki sj samurai
Dirk - v8 diesel disco bye bye
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 17:29:44 »
i currently have a GV with general grabber AT2's on it. I sold my 300tdi landrover to get it.

Have been greenlaning with lots of friends. Be carefull of what people say re landrover and suzuki.

Suzukis are capable vehicles, dont be fooled, especially if you get an SJ or something.

But as good as a landrover..... ABSOLUTLY NOT! NO WAY"!!!!!!

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 17:30:55 »
Slaggs, lets not get silly about this now :shock:

Offline **em**

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 19:52:21 »
i have driven landys and zooks off road modified and not and there both just as good just a different driving technique fair enough landys are better at some things but then suzukis are better at other things
Sedrick - 1989 Suzuki sj samurai
Dirk - v8 diesel disco bye bye
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 14:58:24 »
Totaly agree with em. The club I off road with has a good cross section of vehicles including and Ibex and lots of Disco's etc. I've seen Landys completely stuck where an SJ (or jimny) has just breezed through, but I've also be caught out trying to follow a Landy. Unfortunately I can accept how capable Landrovers are as well as knowing they have limits. Unfortunately some Landrover owners refuse to accept other makes can be as capable as a Landrover.

ps I own both, but a Suzuki is my chosen off road toy.
..V..

Offline markyb

Attack Member
Green laning
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 17:53:11 »
sj tend to suprise people

ive had a couple of sjs and a vitara and landrovers

standard vit , pretty poor
standard SJ  pretty good
stanard 90 pretty good

The only difference between the sj,90 and the vitara is the ground clearance.

if you can get the diffs of the ground then your green lane most lanes.
sometimes the sj with narrow wheel base gets through where a 90 cant,
i found when i put wheel spacers on an sj it started to get stuck in places it never used to...

only thing over the 90 is you can bug on 33inch tyre on with little mods and they are stronger

the sj will need a big lift to get 33s on,.

My vitara took a lot of work to get 33s on but then started to become a good offroader,  

I would love an sj on 31s a winch just as a green laner fun car. would have a 410 i reckon but i drive a 110 now and love it just the same, doubt i would go for a vitara again i had one for nearly 7 years and did pretty much all you could do to it.

but yeah stick a set of muds on it and drive it and see, lane with a friend and you should be fine..
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
Re: Green laning
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 23:31:19 »
i must admit I have a 1992 1.6 16 valve lwb vit the only mod I have done is at tyres and a lot of wd40 , this gorgeous little motor never lets us down I really want to modify it but it handles all we through at it, if i was to do mods this is what id do heavy duty springs and shocks +2" and then a nice set of mudterains and also a snorkel, after Iv done the head gasket my fault not the cars) hit a large piece of tree and put it through rad if  engine over heated and now going to cost me £400 quid to put right so be warned if they start to go above half on temp stop give it 20 Min's to cool :oops: :oops:
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline baz2236

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:53:40 »
Hi What I have found round my way where its flat and we have ruts, is that a fairly standard SJ will some times out do a Landy because its to small to sit in the ruts so you only ever have 2 wheels in the rut where as a disco of defender are wider and has all 4 wheels in the ruts also in the soft mud and due to its weight it sink and thus bridging out on its diff. where and the SJ can go past the same bit because only 2 wheels are in the rut. On the other side when it comes to hills I find Land rover do them better I think this is because they are wider and have the extra power but for most green lanes you do not need power.

On my SJ its only a 413 not a sammy so its the thinner one I have 235 X 85 X 16 on GV rims running wheel spacers but its not as wide as my mates 90 My brother had a Sammy with reversed rims and this made him sit in the ruts and as wide as a land rover not good because his wheels were only 15"

The best thing you can do is go out with a couple of people and see what they are running and where they have problems it varies from each area. I think a lift and bigger tyres would be alright but try not to go to wide as SJ's don't need wide tyres.

Thanks,
      Baz

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 13:56:46 »
Totaly agree with em. The club I off road with has a good cross section of vehicles including and Ibex and lots of Disco's etc. I've seen Landys completely stuck where an SJ (or jimny) has just breezed through, but I've also be caught out trying to follow a Landy. Unfortunately I can accept how capable Landrovers are as well as knowing they have limits. Unfortunately some Landrover owners refuse to accept other makes can be as capable as a Landrover.ps I own both, but a Suzuki is my chosen off road toy.

Glaggs we have em both in the family and have for years, they are both good in their own areas, zukes skip over mud where a landy may well bog in, Landys are safer hill climbers as you dont need the run up for many hills and are more controlled, admittedly the zukes will often climb the hills as well but a run up due to lower torque and they aint stopping at the top till they're over :), hill descents are far more controlled  in my landy than the SJ or vitara cos the gearing and torque are more suited, for general laning I rate the zuke as onl anes you may get very muddy areas and the zuke excells and can easily avoid the ruts.....

On a side note about the refusal to acknowledge etc the only board you ever see this my makes better than this make is on here, numerous times i go onto zuke boards and get sometimes 2 or 3 posts per page usually (in good humour) slating Landys and saying how much better zukes are .. try the Landy boards you just dont get the posts slating zukes...

Although Im more than happy driving the zuke its the zuke boards that have what is generally termed 'small man syndrome' I need to shout about how my vehicles better than a Landy... try here, Difflock, and any other board and then look at the Landy boards (you just dont get the posts) its the zuke boards that perpetuate this rumour :) ... the good humoured banter will always exist, its the inexperienced that feel the need to take it further. Just read the boards and you'll see how many posts there actually are...

I mean Ive only gone down a few posts and the 'why did you buy and already....

Just to pee off the Landrover drivers when their un-stoppable "best 4x4 by far gets stuck I don't. .

Relax... enjoy your zukes you dont have to keep shouting about how much better than Landys they are... you all know that already :) and you'll never convince the Landy crowd :) .......(who when you look at the posts dont care anyway)

Cheers Steve

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 14:12:28 by electricbluebadger »

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 16:01:06 »
not really biased in any way , but i do see many suzukis on their sides.  they seem to roll easier and i guess thats because the track is narrower than larger 4x4s and that means the suzuki has two wheels in the ruts and the other two on top which can catch it out. This of course can be overcome.

Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 16:32:28 »
not really biased in any way , but i do see many suzukis on their sides.  they seem to roll easier and i guess thats because the track is narrower than larger 4x4s and that means the suzuki has two wheels in the ruts and the other two on top which can catch it out. This of course can be overcome.

My post in "Why didi you buy...." etc was posted, I hoped in the spirit of that thread, ie good humoured banter. Yes I did buy the Suzuki over any other 4x4 because at the time it ticked more boxes. But I also bought it because Ididn't want a Landrover. I resent my quote being taken out of context and used to try and portray me as some Anti Landrover zellot. Since owning the suzuki I have come across a lot of Anti Suzuki predudice - and a lot of it not good humoured. I have also recieved vebal abuse at Landrover shows because I wore a T-shirt proclaiming my affinity to another 4x4.  Does this make me hate Landrovers or landrover owners -NO! I off road regularly and most of my friends run Landrovers. Do I enjoy the look on their faces when my Jimny on its little 28" tyres gets through where others have struggled or failed - YES, but thats life.

Getting bact to the origional thread!  In my experience a standard SJ with mud tyres will make an excellent Green laner, and will probably be a lot cheaper to run and buy in the first place.
..V..

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 17:24:57 »
Glaggs yours was a good humoured remark as I clearly said in general its good humoured banter, the post doesnt make you look anti Landy at all, simply shows that this is the board that the comments regularly appear on good humoured or otherwise (almost always good humoured by the way), and it is regular, but theres virtually never a post on the Landy boards saying Ha when the zukes get stuck , or constantly comparing and shouting how much better a Landy is, take a look the Landy boards aren't bothered with it...as I said banter will always exist its a laugh...

just look at this post .. the poster asked about laning in an SJ..... why suddenly drag Landys in with the 'A standard SJ will go anywhere a Landy will' he hadnt even asked how does it compare to a landrover but you needed to stress that point :) ... you really dont need to prove anything, posting a standard zuke will cope easily with any laning you care to throw at it... conveys the point without feeling the deep seated Freudian need to incorporate a landrover comaprison each time.....

Just as you did when you realised youd sent it off track by bringing in Landys in the first place :)

Getting bact to the origional thread!  In my experience a standard SJ with mud tyres will make an excellent Green laner, and will probably be a lot cheaper to run and buy in the first place.

There you go didnt that feel better than having to include a Landy in it :)

Its starting to look like a complex :)

Im forever getting grief for driving a stripped series 1 and flying jacket in midwinter, i just laugh it off and never feel the need to get defensive and justify my choice of vehicle over someone elses :)

Cheers Steve
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 17:37:34 by electricbluebadger »

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 17:51:15 »
Landrovers are used as a bench mark fro off road ability, so I made the comparrison against that bench mark. It seems to be you that needs to stir up the landy suzuki debate constantly. I'm happy with what I drive, and quite happy to let people drive what they want without judgement.
..V..

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 18:06:02 »
Glaggs we have em both in the family and have for years, they are both good in their own areas, zukes skip over mud where a landy may well bog in, Landys are safer hill climbers as you dont need the run up for many hills and are more controlled, admittedly the zukes will often climb the hills as well but a run up due to lower torque and they aint stopping at the top till they're over Smile, hill descents are far more controlled  in my landy than the SJ or vitara cos the gearing and torque are more suited, for general laning I rate the zuke as onl anes you may get very muddy areas and the zuke excells and can easily avoid the ruts.....

As you can see in my post I like em both and drive em both I rate them both as off roaders and put neither ahead of the other and dont need to deride either, i didnt bring Landys into it as i dont bring zukes into posts on landy boards no need I dont feel I have to prove anything to either stable Im happy with my choices so dont feel the need to slate either
feel free to reread my post if my views weren't clear enough :)

Cheers Steve

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 18:12:08 »
And as for people giving grief for your vehicle choice... try driving one of these... I get people pointing and laughing all the time :) you have to have a sense of humour to drive em :)

or

Cheers Steve

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 18:14:32 »
Damn slipped up... just remembered should've put the Landy above the zuke... Cos Its better  :twisted: LMAO

Cheers Steve :)

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 19:02:05 »
And here's my two babies
..V..

wrecker