AuthorTopic: fancy a new (push) bike  (Read 25850 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: fancy a new (push) bike
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2008, 21:00:17 »
And I thought last weeks Round 6 at Brighouse was a 'war of attrition'.
This race was grim, with a capital 'G'!

It was a 'massed start'; Wonen, Seniors, Juniors & Veterans all went together

The conditions were dire. It was mainly grass, but boggy grass-land, with a covering of fallen leaves in places that clogged almost everybodys bikes up

I ended up stopping perhaps 3 times per lap (after the first 2) to unclog the fork-crown,seat-stays & chain-stays
I'd pass riders, then stop to 'clear out', then pass them again when they were 'clearing out'

The top 3 riders (or 4?) were lucky, they had spare-bikes & were handed a de-clagged bike on each lap.
Me?, I ended up carrying, and running for about a 1/3rd of each lap

You know the conditions are bad when you have to stand up on the pedals, going downhill, to try to keep rolling :doh:
Stop pedalling & you stopped. Simple as that :evil:

My final placing was 33rd/48 overall & 16th/24 Vet40, which was atrocious

Chain Bar results

There's a few images from the race here, plus the state of the bike afterwards...
(click on pic to open)

Edit @ 21:26

Here's a 'just found' 'Flickr' link for the event at Brighouse on Sunday 9th.
Enjoy..........
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 21:27:46 by Bush Tucker Man »
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2008, 21:36:45 »
I rode the 'Cyclists verses Harriers' (who were mainly fell-runners, otherwise known as lunatics for the way they run downhill - truely scary to watch!!) at Bingley earlier this afternoon, there wasn't any of the white-stuff , but it was bl**dy cold!

I'm not sure of a placing yet, but Joanne reckons she counted 100+ runners at the start  (plus all the cyclists), there were 97 finishers last year, so numbers are well up!
It was as hard as I remembered; cow-trodden fields, boulder strewn climbs, ice-cold winds on the back of Baildon Moor

I was happy to finish.. and I think (roughly) that I knocked about 6 minutes off last years time, if Joannes time-keeping is correct.

Results will be posted when known

Next year I might run it  :-k (might be easier!!)

However..................... using the Trek was a better idea in some senses it wasn't in others :-k

Pro's;
1. Bigger clearances, as the frame/forks are meant to be able to clear a 2.2" tyre (I use 1.8" front & 1.5" rear)
2. The front suspension was used on the long rough descent from the top of Baildon Moor, then through the boulder strewn trail on Shipley Glen, & the concrete (railway) sleeper track back towards the start
3. The disc-brakes actually offered retardation in the most horrible mixtures of cow-[PooPoo] and mud, without chewing the pads to pieces
4. The low gearing made some parts rideable, that I know I'd have to run(!?!) with the Cross bike

Con's;
1. The smaller frame in comparison to the Cyclo-Cross bike made the sections that required it to be carried very awkward
2. The weight was a large factor over the Cross bike (roughly 7 - 8Ib heavier?)
3. Gearing was too widely spread on the faster, rideable, sections

I did manage a 'no brake' descent to the finish line, as I'd ridden the last mile swapping places with 2 other riders & was keen to keep my (albeit low) position. it was a bit scary though   [-o< :shock:

This year, I choose not to have a wash in the Leeds & Liverpool Canal  :D

As it was, once I'd unlaced my shoes & peeled my socks off, Joanne had to put my clean ones on for me (& tie my running shoes) as my hands were too cold and numb to do so myself  :roll:

Once we were home & unpacked, the bike received a quick 'once-over' with the hose-pipe, after I'd showered and warmed up, but it was a bit grotty beforehand

Click on pics to enlarge/open

Although, some future archeologist might have had trouble identifying these 'blobs' as a pair of Diadora shoes :lol: 
I must say though, the added f**tball studs (on the toes) helped immensely

*****'C v H' details

Plus... it's back to Bingley tomorrow morning for a (proper) Cyclo-Cross in Myrtle Park in the town centre
12:45 start
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 21:38:24 by Bush Tucker Man »
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2008, 16:32:48 »
Plus... it's back to Bingley tomorrow morning for a (proper) Cyclo-Cross in Myrtle Park in the town centre
12:45 start
Nothing stayed spotless for long :evil:

It was another mucky race, with a section on what appears to be a 'flood-plain' for the River Aire, & lots of leaves to clog everything up :doh: :doh:

I think I was in 23rd after the first lap, but lost a few places, gained a few places (not sure how many were on the start-line though, it looked a reasonable turnout)

Fell off twice, the front wheel just washed out on the corner; same one both times :oops:

Results for 'C v H', & this one, to follow when known.
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2008, 21:28:28 »

I've got the results for both todays Cyclo-Cross & the 'Cyclists verses Harriers'.

Sadly the 'C v H' doesn't make good reading :doh:

134th/166 finishers
38th/47 riders

Although 'we' were convincingly outnumbered, as there were 121 runners on the start-line (2 runners DNF'd)

The really weird thing is my finishing time is marked down as  54:16................................. which is exactly the same as last year!!
I think they might have made the results up for us slow-coaches :D

http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/html/h_v_cyclists/hvc_08.htm

But still, I finished it,  and bet the 2 Calder Clarion* riders who also took part, who were;
Paul Milsom @ 54:55 (136th overall)
Richard Fenn @ 1.08:30 (163rd overall)

For todays event, Click on 'me' below, & go to '2008 -2009 Winter Events (23rd @ Myrtle Park)

I placed at 22nd/47 overall & 19th/35 in my age-group
I guess I can be happy with that, despite my double fall :)

*Calder Clarion is one of the local clubs, that we (Featherstone Road Club) have a 'friendly rivalry with ;)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2008, 15:56:21 »

For todays event, Click on 'me' below, & go to '2008 -2009 Winter Events (23rd @ Myrtle Park)

I placed at 22nd/47 overall & 19th/35 in my age-group
I guess I can be happy with that, despite my double fall :)

The Official report
Those steps were steeper than they look!

Edit @ 20:31

Picture 1 shows the very (& extremely muddy) adverse camber on the approach to the steps

Picture 4 shows the hairpin at the base of the steps

Picture 13 shows the 'one rider at a time' clamber up through the trees in order to descend back down

Now it's nothing until Sunday 14th, when there's a race at Greetland (Halifax), if I go to it.
Failing that, I'll be in Thornes Park (Wakefield) on Sunday 21st
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 20:31:43 by Bush Tucker Man »
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2008, 21:20:44 »
Now it's nothing until Sunday 14th, when there's a race at Greetland (Halifax), if I go to it.

I went to it (Greetland), but it was damned cold up there, I reckon it was the coldest Cross course so far
(I'd finished, loaded the bike, reached the M62, & driven home before I started to regain feeling in my fingers!)

One of the local riders I know, & chat with was (Tony Jones of Pontefract CC) was there, but had a mishap on his warm-up/'sighting' laps. I found him prior to the start sat in the boot of his car, nursing an injured leg.
He'd been climbing up the severest of the 4 run-ups (unless you were very good, then this was the only real run!), & he said he'd felt something in his leg go 'twang'.
I believe he got taken to the A&E at Halifax (Calderdale Royal)  by one of the organisers/helpers

As seems to be usual now, the course was very wet on several places, & cut up badly.

Thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as Whitechapel School at Cleckheaton (16th November), where we had to pedal downhill.

Upon finishing, I know it was cold, as I couldn't feel a single bead of sweat on me (normally I end up with the jersey zip half-way down)

Results?, ahh yes............

Not that good really, I'm ashamed to say :oops:
My inability to get warm also seemed to have an effect on my heart-rate, it never felt to be elevating?

They were;
21st/36 overall, &  12th/22 in my age-group

The 'official' report & galleries are to be found here, & I'm in several photos in all the albums, looking very cold ;))

Thornes Park (Wakefield = 'home-turf') is rapidly approaching, & I'm hoping for a good position.
At present I'm in 11th (out of 49) in the 'Yorkshire Points Series', & with Wakefield being the last event, I want to get a top-10 final position [-o<

I'm trying to swap the next 2 Sundays too, in order to do 2 more events

Sunday 28th sees the 'Denby Dale Travellers' 'Runners verses Riders' challenge

This is 6 miles for the runners, & 9 miles for the riders (courses are separated at points)- could be interesting!?!?
A good friend has been the first rider home for the past 2 years, if I remember correctly

Sunday 4th January sees the 'New Years Revolution Cross' at Todmorden (site of some previous  National trophy rounds)

My entry to both races are dependant on being able to swap shifts/book leave

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 21:23:07 by Bush Tucker Man »
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2008, 10:54:23 »

Thornes Park (Wakefield = 'home-turf') is rapidly approaching, & I'm hoping for a good position.
At present I'm in 11th (out of 49) in the 'Yorkshire Points Series', & with Wakefield being the last event, I want to get a top-10 final position [-o<

Although I haven't been down for a look at it, I reckon the 'going will be soft' tomorrow (in the parlance of 'gee-gee racing')
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2008, 22:20:46 »

It was the Thornes Park event this dinnertime
I rode over, & it started to bl**dy rain before I'd even got 300 yards from home :twisted:

Joanne & Amelia were driving over later (before the start)

One good thing did come of the day.
I'd arrived, then signed on & picked up my race-number, when a young lad (who was riding in the Juniors) asked; "Is it Richard?"
When I replied in the affirmative, he told me his name*.
I'd not seen him for almost 5 years (he said he was now 16), his dad was my Best Man when Joanne & me got married

So, a happy reunion was made with his dad, & another one later when Joanne & Amelia arrived

We set off @ 12:25. later than planned
Despite my knowing the course, it was a grim one.
All the recent rain had made it very slippery, but not to the point of being so wet it wasn't an issue.

Also, the recent strong winds didn't dry it out sufficiently to cure the boggy patches - riding over the multiple tree-roots wasn't too much fun either.

Still, I only fell off once, when I lost the front wheel on a sharp corner

The results make grim reading :-k

21st/36 (results are on the 'YCCA' site, reached via 'me' in my signature block), the 'end of season' results aren't up yet.

Amelia took some pictures, but they're all very blurred, so I probably won't add them**.

I kept stopping to unclog my bike in certain sections, even at my level in the race, some other riders had spare bikes to change onto (where their helper would poke most of the mud out before they reached that point of the course again)
Slightly unfair, I know, but the rules of racing allow bike-changes.

Then I rode back home, with a rapidly drying crust on my legs :doh:

Washed the bike, before getting myself sorted, & ended up washing my legs/shoes with the left-over water, & the hosepipe (which was a bit too cold)

*Joshua Senior in the Juniors/Seniors event

**There was 2, or 3 photographers around the course, so I guess the images will be on the 'British Cycling' site fairly soon

Edit @ 22:34
The 'YCCA' website also says this

WAKEFIELD TRI/Thornes Park 'Cross on BBC:
Many of you will have noticed BBC reporter Paul Ogden filming at the Thornes Park event.
Paul has promised to give us as much warning as possible about when the short item he produced will be aired.
We'll let you know here as soon as we hear from him.
Please check back regularly
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 22:34:41 by Bush Tucker Man »
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2008, 19:10:30 »
**There was 2, or 3 photographers around the course, so I guess the images will be on the 'British Cycling' site fairly soon

The 'season overalls' are up & make sad reading. Again :oops: :oops:

I dropped from 11th, to 14th from 48.
My poor placing yesterday didn't help matters

The 'race report is 'up now', with a link (at present) on their  'Home' page.
(I feature in galleries 2 & 5)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2008, 11:54:21 »
I'm going to be up in 'sunny' Bradford in a couple of weeks at an event.

No, sadly not racing this time, just watching.

The 2009 Cyclo-Cross National Championshipis taking place in Peel Park over the weekend of Saturday 10th/Sunday 11th January :D

it won't be as big a spectacle as when the World Championships were held in Roundhay Park (Leeds) back in 1992, when Roger Hammond won Gold & the Rainbow Jersey for the UK, in the Junior race

Peel Park (adj. to Undercliffe Cemetary)

I hope to be there on both days, but if not, I'll certainly be there on the Sunday for the Seniors event @ 14:15, & the (Senior & Veteran) Womens race  @ 11:00

Oooh, lots of athletic ladies in Lycra :drool: :drool:
Richard A Thackeray 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal