AuthorTopic: Fuel protest is back  (Read 6697 times)

Offline v8kenny

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 18:25:58 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
Bring it on. If I can't get to work because I have no fuel, then whose problem is that? Certainly not mine. If my boss starts to say "All officers have to keeptheir cars full up,I'll send him the bill.

Trouble with that is if you can't work you will still get paid
I work for myself and if I can't get fuel to run my business I will get nowt - any of the protesters thought who is going to feed my wife and three kids or pay my mortgage ?
Now you can say that is a selfish attitude, damn right,but no less selfish than starting a stupid protest that I want nothing to do with
Why should I suffer ?
The self same protesters will be the one's first in the queue at the filling stations making sure they have plenty of fuel and stuff anyone else
Bloody Hypocrites
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 19:00:55 »
Quote from: "v8kenny"
Bring it on. If I can't get to work because I have no fuel, then whose problem is that? Certainly not mine. If my boss starts to say "All officers have to keeptheir cars full up,I'll send him the bill.

I work for myself and if I can't get fuel to run my business I will get nowt - any of the protesters thought who is going to feed my wife and three kids or pay my mortgage ?
Now you can say that is a selfish attitude, damn right,but no less selfish than starting a stupid protest that I want nothing to do with
Why should I suffer ?
The self same protesters will be the one's first in the queue at the filling stations making sure they have plenty of fuel and stuff anyone else
Bloody Hypocrites

I understand what you mean V8K. Its just a simplistic attitude I have. During the last protest I was in Scotland and the job were calling me up to get me back. I was even threatened with disobeying orders, but what could I do? No way of getting fuel to get back.
I fail to understand why the prices we pay for fuel in this country are so high compared to Europe. That can't be right.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 19:42:23 »

Why should I suffer ?
Bloody Hypocrites

yet in the same breath you deny the right of the protesters to have their voice heard. I ran out of fuel last time but I was still there, as did many that were there. Please do get facts straight, first in were EMS before anyone else.

I'm not starting an argument and I can respect your opinion but be careful the words you use lest you be branded with them and check your fact. I was running a business at the time and I felt it more important to stand up and be counted at the time and take the hit.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 20:09:17 »
Public transport  :lol:
There's 2 buses a day from this town and they are full to the brim every morning.
And they dont even go anywhere near where i'd like to go.
I would ride a bike to work but at 14 miles on windey country lanes that dont have pavements and cars race at 60mph +, i'm too scared
Plus there's one stretch of road that i cant avoid floods to 4 feet every winter.
Give me another reason not too use my Land Rover
 :roll:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline smurf

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 20:55:05 »
I'm sure most people like to have a good chat, and a good moan.  I work for myself & get chatting with a lot of other folk from all areas of society.  I also go for the odd pint & again people like to chat.  The point I'm getting to is this - no matter who you talk to, whatever age, gender or profession, the conversation always start going the same way at some point.  I don't need to point out any specific areas as i'm sure everyone knows what most peoples gripes are at the moment with this country & its government.

When these conversations get to the point of crossing the line what happens? everyone mumbles a few choice words then shuts up, followed by "someone should start standing up for what we want", or words to that effect.

Like most people a lot of these conversational points I agree with & some I do not. But, when people start to make a stand I feel that they should get the support they deserve.  If you agree then make them aware, do not just hide away, then when your having your next pint start ranting about what is wrong with this place!

I think there should be a fuel protest, if nothing else it shows that we will not keep being walked over & when we disagree with a non democratic decision we will make ourselves heard!

We should stand up & make ourselves heard a lot more........ especially about the price of fuel & the benefit system.

These are my opinions & I do know others have their own opinions which I respect, like most people i'm no expert & I know there is no quick fix.
200tdi Disco -gone
Disco 2 V8, love it!

Offline hrox

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 21:34:18 »
Quote from: "smurf"
I'm sure most people like to have a good chat, and a good moan.  I work for myself & get chatting with a lot of other folk from all areas of society.  I also go for the odd pint & again people like to chat.  The point I'm getting to is this - no matter who you talk to, whatever age, gender or profession, the conversation always start going the same way at some point.  I don't need to point out any specific areas as i'm sure everyone knows what most peoples gripes are at the moment with this country & its government.

When these conversations get to the point of crossing the line what happens? everyone mumbles a few choice words then shuts up, followed by "someone should start standing up for what we want", or words to that effect.

Like most people a lot of these conversational points I agree with & some I do not. But, when people start to make a stand I feel that they should get the support they deserve.  If you agree then make them aware, do not just hide away, then when your having your next pint start ranting about what is wrong with this place!

I think there should be a fuel protest, if nothing else it shows that we will not keep being walked over & when we disagree with a non democratic decision we will make ourselves heard!

We should stand up & make ourselves heard a lot more........ especially about the price of fuel & the benefit system.

These are my opinions & I do know others have their own opinions which I respect, like most people i'm no expert & I know there is no quick fix.

I have to agree smurf,  i think something should be done and a protest is more than likly & im willing to support,  the last fuel protest the goverment said that it was up to the refinarys to keep the fuel flowing,  so by protesting and blocking the refinarys are not really going to make much difference.   an idea i have heard doing to rounds is basically bring london to a standstill with cars that wont be movable due to no fuel.   if everyones got no fuel then there would be chaose and im sure the message would get through to the goverment as its them we need to get the message accross to .  i would love to be in this protest as i need fuel for work as i pay the feul and get reimbursed via milage and if i go no where then that would mean im 25% down on the end month wages which then goes agains mortage and food etc... but its just not something i will be able to attend. this should also help in respect of the refinarys will still be able to deliver and there fore people can and will see be able to purchase fuel at what ever the cost.  only people affected would be people in london but most of which use the underground etc.  there would only be a few affected that use there own motors and buses.  

appologies to anyone affended by the above
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline graham

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 21:43:30 »
I run a business and would fully support a protest agree with above post.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 22:58:58 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"

Why should I suffer ?
Bloody Hypocrites

yet in the same breath you deny the right of the protesters to have their voice heard. I ran out of fuel last time but I was still there, as did many that were there. Please do get facts straight, first in were EMS before anyone else.

I'm not starting an argument and I can respect your opinion but be careful the words you use lest you be branded with them and check your fact. I was running a business at the time and I felt it more important to stand up and be counted at the time and take the hit.

And where exactly in my post do I deny the right of protesters to have their say ?????
All I am saying is what gives them the damn right to think EVERYONE supports them - I certainly don't as I don't think fuel is too expensive, as has already been said elsewhere it's actually cheaper in real terms now than it used to be - so why should I suffer
Here's a plan - if you don't like the cost of fuel then simple - don't buy the stuff ! - that would get your point across without screwing up my day to day life
If you feel that strongly about it then I'm surprised you don't have an electric car anyway   :roll:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 08:05:51 »
Can I please request that we move away from the personal member on member type posts and get back to a good general debate..

Be nice to each other guys :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 09:04:01 »
Quote from: "Paul"
Can I please request that we move away from the personal member on member type posts and get back to a good general debate..

Be nice to each other guys :wink:

Fair point
I didn't mean my comments to be personal but I guess they kinda look that way - not trying to upset anyone, never mind anyone in particular

Just annoyed that they (the organisers of the protest) don't seem to mind who they drag into their argument with the government

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 09:06:37 »
Well is not as bad as the last thread.... Apprently i'm an idiot...

May be true but at least its not been announced on this one LOL  :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 09:11:35 »
Idiot ? - I bet you get called a lot worse than that on a daily basis at work !  :lol:

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 10:40:10 »
I would have to say that another "blockade the refineries" type protest is probably not the way to go - the government and media would find it very easy to portray the protestors as selfish and irresponsible. Remember that these are the kings of spin, and the links between goverment and media are tangled to say the least (there's a lot that doesn't get out, well, unless you read the right sources!). Also worth bearing in mind that most media (and chunks of the government) doesn't seem to think there is life outside the M25.

Far better to do something that would bring things to a halt without endangering the general public. A large selection of artic trailers abandoned around London with flat tyres and full of bricks ought to do it!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:33 »
Idiot ? - I bet you get called a lot worse than that on a daily basis at work !  :lol:

Yep, You are right, which is why it didn't bother me too much! :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 12:03:44 »
Quote from: "Disco Matt"
I would have to say that another "blockade the refineries" type protest is probably not the way to go - the government and media would find it very easy to portray the protestors as selfish and irresponsible. Remember that these are the kings of spin, and the links between goverment and media are tangled to say the least (there's a lot that doesn't get out, well, unless you read the right sources!). Also worth bearing in mind that most media (and chunks of the government) doesn't seem to think there is life outside the M25.

Far better to do something that would bring things to a halt without endangering the general public. A large selection of artic trailers abandoned around London with flat tyres and full of bricks ought to do it!

Interesting point, I suspect you are 100% right...

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:59 »
But I haven't got a lorry though, hang on, I'll check Ebay  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2007, 12:08:09 »
I think the point has been missed anyhoo, there wont be another blockade, thats been made clear. However something is planned but no idea what.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 12:12:27 »
Probably a go slow during rush hour times! thats always fun... NOT! :shock:

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:42 »
Here's a plan - if you don't like the cost of fuel then simple - don't buy the stuff ! - that would get your point across without screwing up my day to day life
If you feel that strongly about it then I'm surprised you don't have an electric car anyway   :roll:
This is what it's all about really - choices. Getting us to use vehicles less and or using vehicles that use less fuel. We all have that option along with our own excuses not to.
It's been said already that our vehicles are a luxury and yet we still make claims that we NEED them rather than just prefer them to carry us around. Even for those that use them to carry work clobber around then it's a case of looking hard about whether your chosen chariot is the most efficient on fuel. If not then you have the 'choice' of using something that is more efficient or paying the premium of ever increasing fuel costs.
The options are out there - we just need to make the choice.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2007, 12:48:44 »
Most of the suggestions that I have heard so far involve persuading people to avoid 1 companies petrol station EG you don't fill up at a BP garage until BP are force in reducing there price.
 The problem with that is that most of the oil companies have deal with the supermarkets (Tesco was supplied by Texaco).

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2007, 14:52:55 »
Maybe we should all start buying our fuel from the continent, it seems to have worked in forcing the duty on cigarettes and alcohol down.  Or was that just because the chancellor like a drink and a cigar :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

littlepow

Fuel protest is back
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2007, 15:06:14 »
This is a good starting point. Just a pity it takes so long to filter down. A retro fit kit would be good.

http://www.ricardo.com/general/latestnews.aspx?id=24

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2007, 20:05:14 »
There was an interesting article in the Daily Express yesterday.  They alledge that the hike in fuel prices is also due to the City and Hedge Funds...a select few fat cats getting very rich at the expense of your average vehicle owner.   :x
The biggest chunk of the £1+ per litre does go to the government.  apparently they rake in £44billion a year from vehicle related tax, and only £9billion goes towards road repairs etc.  :shock:
Where does the rest go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*******    Greenworld Biodiesel Ltd, Brook Mill, Carr Lane, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5BQ     *******

www.greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk ~ enqs@greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today.  But such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present day."  - Rudolph Diesel (1858-1913)

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2007, 01:14:51 »
Quote from: "biodiesel-queen"
There was an interesting article in the Daily Express yesterday.  They alledge that the hike in fuel prices is also due to the City and Hedge Funds...a select few fat cats getting very rich at the expense of your average vehicle owner.   :x
The biggest chunk of the £1+ per litre does go to the government.  apparently they rake in £44billion a year from vehicle related tax, and only £9billion goes towards road repairs etc.  :shock:
Where does the rest go?

So what's new ?
Fat cats always get fatter ....

I still don't understand how anyone can accept the huge difference between US prices and UK prices.

The NHS funding was originally from general taxation.... the motorist, smoker and drinker seem to be funding everything lately.
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

Offline Elmo

Attack Member
Fuel protest is back
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:45 »
Declared interest, I'm a smoker, certainly a few years ago the governments own figures showed the tax on fags paid the whole NHS budget. So it can't be far off the same now given how cigarette duty rises every year. So Prudence Brown does not need your fuel duty for the NHS.

Someone asked what services I would be prepared to lose in return for less fuel duty - fair question. I know of two easy targets:

Trident - three dozen suitcase nukes would be a far more potent deterrent and much cheaper savings £££££££££s

QUANGOS (NGOs) - we (Prudence has no money it is all ours) spend in excess of £140 billion per annum on QUANGOS. For comparison the whole armed services gets £32-35 billion per annum. These are the people who poke their noses into our daily lives and mess with things as they have nothing better to do. Ditch the lot, saving £140 billion per annum which is way more than fuel taxes in total.

And those two are just for starters. Modern governments (not being party political here) rake in vast sums of money in the various forms of taxation then promptly squander about half of it. Sort that out and show me its sorted and I'll pay for the fuel gladly. Show me a country where people die for lack of NHS funding, while some group who no-one elected proclaim themselves responsible for, say, investigating the effect of the new Airbus Superjumbo on small mammals in East Sussex and are granted funding and I'll resent every penny of tax however levied.
H19 MJO - 200 Tdi "Elmo" still and always a "work in progress" ;)
C312 GVX - 110 CSW "Bessie" My latest victim - at last a proper Land Rover

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal