AuthorTopic: Who broke what at Abingdon !  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Skibum346

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Who broke what at Abingdon !
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 15:45:53 »
I was camped on the right just after the entrance... green army tent with a Lion Rampant flying... and I managed to chat briefly with some of you while I was marshalling.

I was hugely impressed with both the organisation of the event, the course which was brilliant for expert & novice alike, and the atmosphere... it felt really relaxed and friendly and everyone was approachable. I often think that shows like Billing & Peterborough etc are very clinical and trade oriented. Abingdon certainly wasn't!

So if you've not been yet... get there next year!

Ditto your comments Skibum. I totaly agree with you.

As for the camping bit, I didnt realise you were camping. I followed you around the course on Saturday at one point but didnt know what you looked like in person to chat to you. I may have done whilst you were marshalling on sunday and not known it?
Probably not matey... I was at post 30ish just after the mud run... but I was only on till about 10. I bought the flight in the aircraft at the auction the night before so dashed off for that. You'll have seen my SWMBO though... big green LSE parked on the concrete pan... wearing a tabard type high vis and of course... she's...erm... well.. a dusky maiden if you get my meaning.. I suspect the only one there!  :lol:

Next year we'll get a pint matey!

Frank

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 15:51:30 »
Me and my mates didnt realise there was an auction until 4pm on Sunday. Bit late then!

I saw loads of lse's so prob did see it but didnt realise!!!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline RichardM

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 22:41:19 »
Only thing I broke was the bracket that holds the sockets for the towing electrics.  Great course, did it twice, sometimes following easy signs, sometimes hard and a couple that said extreme.  Didn't get stuck at all in a standard 300Tdi disco...difflock in use a lot though!

BTW Wizard, saw you driving off with caravan in tow on Sunday afternoon
Richard Martin
Cardiff
1994 300Tdi Automatic

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14:15 »
POPPED A SPRING AT THE REAR.....but previously did it at PETEBO8...the downforse managed to bend the bottom spring holder.........BIG THANKS to JD, the marshall who righted her for me..

Always a pleasure to hep a fellow mud clubber mate. I was Recovery 1 out on the courtse, I seem to remember heping a blue Disco 200Tdi with a mud club spat on it who did his rear diff, so I found a spare and he found me a cup of tea in return and a burger after I dragged him off the course. Never did get your name, sorry.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:19 »
Just to add to my list of broken bits.  Rear diff bearing siezed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wizard :twisted:

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 15:30:32 »
I was Recovery 1 out on the courtse,

Ah, were you the one with the multiple noises coming from your horn? I woke up to a cow mooing or something on the Saturday morning at 7am. How did you guess my alarm was set for 10 minutes later??  :lol:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline tack43

Attack Member
    • Worcs, Redditch
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 17:02:28 »
POPPED A SPRING AT THE REAR.....but previously did it at PETEBO8...the downforse managed to bend the bottom spring holder.........BIG THANKS to JD, the marshall who righted her for me..

Always a pleasure to hep a fellow mud clubber mate. I was Recovery 1 out on the courtse, I seem to remember heping a blue Disco 200Tdi with a mud club spat on it who did his rear diff, so I found a spare and he found me a cup of tea in return and a burger after I dragged him off the course. Never did get your name, sorry.

Sounds like that was ZuluDelta5. Saw him at the wash down. Hope you got back OK towing your caravan with only front wheel drive.
Rich

1985 90 300TDI "Defender" SOLD.
1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "The spare parts box!" Broken for spares
1993 RRC Off-roader. No engine. Yet!
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "Tempory off-roader" Failed MOT - More spare parts
1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "New tempory off-roader" SOLD

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 18:55:55 »

Sounds like that was ZuluDelta5. Saw him at the wash down. Hope you got back OK towing your caravan with only front wheel drive.

It was ZuluDelta... spoke to him Sunday as he was carrying a sheared nearside halfshaft... hope he got it fixed.

Skibum

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 19:22:22 »
I was Recovery 1 out on the courtse,

Ah, were you the one with the multiple noises coming from your horn? I woke up to a cow mooing or something on the Saturday morning at 7am. How did you guess my alarm was set for 10 minutes later??  :lol:

That would have been me yes. Apologies if I woke anyone! oops
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline jiffyman

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 21:15:30 »
Sounds like everyone had a good weekend, and I have seen some of Mudlarks photos too on his forum, getting a helping hand on his way home!!

I would have loved to have come up, but decided to stay home and break it 100yards away from the house!!

Hopefully next year!!
4X4 pix at http://ladaniva.fotopic.net

http://jiffyregister.fotopic.net

1997 1.7i Niva Hussar

(HOODOO lift kit)
(205/16 Colway C-Max Sport Tyres)
(Pro Comp ES9000s)
(Snorkel made from bits 'acquired' from work and B&Q)

YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Smego

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 22:28:35 »
Well I did the whole extreem (hardly extreem) course lots of mud up over the truck but no damage at all, the only hard bit was the mud run I had to ease off the let the water run out infront to allow enough traction to just drive out over the shelf, so many tried it with the full bow wave holding them back!

Didn't expect any damage after all I drive a Smurf not a Landie, also had the moo-ing in the arena with the landy rally crowd.

Had a great week-end, missed the actaul show but that was only -cause I blinked but the crowd and the off-raod-ing was good! < thanks all.

if they added a few stalls it would be great!

Nissan Patrol GR LWB and a 3rd Gen Surf for fun...

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 08:45:16 »
Update:

Alternator has died...!

It was on it's way out anyway (Batt light glowing) but it seems the mud has done it in!

Ended up getting towed back home from a spot a mile or so from Solihull Mick's place (Having just picked it up after he put shiny new carbs on it!  For a fee of course!).

Ah well... looking around for new alternator this morning.

Skibum

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 13:32:01 »
Well as an off-road virgin, I think it was the ideal place to give it a try. MuddyJames took me round in his Disco for a sighting lap, then (the mad fool!) he let me drive his Disco around...

After that I decided to take my own Land Rover around the course, and I was pleasently surprised how well it coped. Jibes about the lack of low-range and diff-lock were misplaced. In fact everyone who had a ride in the Freelander was very complimentary about it  :D

I did decide to give the mud run a miss though - the tide lines on other LRs was considerably higher than the Freelander's wading depth.  :-.

The only damage sustained was a bent bracket for my tow bar's electrics, so I'll sort that this weekend - after I've removed a large quantity of Oxfordshire from all over it.

Did someone say there were photos posted somewhere...?

Roll on next year!
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 13:38:48 »
this years official photos are up now at http://abingdonphotos.com/

So you were one of the people who thought they were the only Freelander :chuckle:  As with all off-road, as long as you take the route suitable for you car then you'll be fine.  As someone on here says regularly, if it needs a tank to drive through, use a tank don't try to modify you car to go through.

Controversial ;)

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 16:46:31 »
So you were one of the people who thought they were the only Freelander :chuckle: 
On the Saturday, I was the only Freelander (excluding marshalls).

The official photos support that assertion!  ;)
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 18:58:54 »
 :lol: :lol:

Damn that photo evidence !!

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline MrTFWitt

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2008, 01:16:37 »
Pah!

The photo evidence suggests I only went round the once so it may not be fully representative of the vehicles participating over the weekend.

:)
Watch out theres a tigger about!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal