AuthorTopic: why would you pay this?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
  • Referrals: 0
why would you pay this?
« on: January 05, 2005, 15:14:54 »
why would you pay this then when main suppliers are only charging £35-£45 for the same thing? me thinks someone attempting to make a fast buck

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14763&item=7945782273&rd=1
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 15:18:25 »
Personally, I wouldn't

Things are only worth as much as people will pay for them.  If he can sell them at that price, then people must be happy to pay that.

Not sure why he is 'making a fast buck' though  :?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
why would you pay this?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 15:21:47 »
fast buck is cos i would suspect he is buying them for £40 odd quid and just moving them on for a profit, now theres a thought why didnt i think of that :twisted:
Neal

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 15:24:42 »
Just like the dealers, who are buying them at 15 quid and selling them on for 35-45.......
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 15:26:43 »
Surely the whole of modern capitalist society is built around buying things and selling them on for a profit?  Surely he wouldn't buy them and sell them at a loss?  :wink:

It's a free market - if people are prepared to pay more than the going rate for something, then so be it.  Like Tim said, things are worth what somebody is prepared to pay for them.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
why would you pay this?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 15:34:19 »
your quite right :D  and i have no problem with the dealer buying the stuff and marking it up(although sometimes i think the decimal point gets put in the wrong place) its their job and how they make a living i was merely pointing out that i thought this was a bad deal compared with whats on the market that is similar
Neal

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 15:37:44 »
thing is with these

i think they would only look good if the rear lights were done as well but ive yet to see rear clusters in white  :wink:

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 15:50:26 »
I think people have a tendency to assume, when using eBay, that everything's a bargain.  People forget the "free market" thing, ie that the seller can be charging whatever the hell they want.

As a seller, you could probably argue that you're using eBay to market products to people who wouldn't otherwise know they existed, so you have a right to charge whatever you wanted;  if the buyer was really keen to get a bargain, they'd do their homework better.

I used to work for a computer hardware distributor, selling to the trade.  Some of our customers assumed that the price we quoted them came from some magic pricelist, and that we were charging them a fair price for anything we quoted them.  In reality, we could see our buy price, and we'd charge the customer whatever we thought they'd put up with.  If a price went down, why would we pass that to our customer, if we knew he'd pay the pre-reduction amount?  The sales people in that company were on 100% commission as a percentage of the profit they made.

I tend to assume, whenever buying anything in that situation, that the seller is going to play the game.  Consequently, I sometimes end up not buying anything, as I always assume I'm being ripped off!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Digsit

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 15:59:58 »
Be interesting to see if he actually sells any........no feedback and no rating = No punters :-k. You wouldn't, would you? :-s
Vehicle history:
Discovery 200tdi - Charity - went past her expiry date
Discovery 300tdi - Clarity - went into rear of Audi A3
Discovery 300tdi - D'une  - went bang
Discovery TD5 - unnamed - just went

Cliff - In my own little world............visitors welcome !!

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 16:08:30 »
to be honest if you werent aware of online clubs etc or other suppliers and use ebay a lot then why not

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 20:38:07 »
I'm in the process of waiting on a company doing some for the rear lights  :wink:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
why would you pay this?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 01:15:54 »
Question is are they legal, I had a mate who put White DIs on his MkII Fiesta and got a ticket from the feds for them!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
why would you pay this?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 09:30:40 »
AFAIK, if the are 'E' marked, they are legal.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal