AuthorTopic: Swearing on the increase  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Highlander1

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 21:00:46 »
Goodness gracious me

Hi folks

I Have thrown my rattle out the pram recently and tried to make up for it.

I had an issue with someone being utterly condesending I dealt with that on a personal matter not publically and since then I have tried and tried again to be light hearted such as the I hate mods thread and love rockers with a picture of the rocker on a cylinder head now today was a true story not aimed at baiting or winding anyone up I couldn't believe it when my wee boy was nearly bursting his bladder with laughter.

When he told me why he was laughing so was I and I wanted to share a bit of light hearted banter with everyone here.

The we guy lost his pride and joy after flying it for 2 years i shrugged my dhoulders and he made the comment.

Look here he is. I'm now going to resign and give you all piece.

It used to be fun.
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 21:01:43 »
It`s all cool by me......If the majority want a childlike forum and by that I mean the language used then that is cool 8) .....Myself, I prefer to engage in adult conversation so I will do what I usually do and take my sorry ass off somewhere else :wink:  :lol: ...Now that is funny....

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 21:01:48 »
Sorry I tried to upload a picture of him with his wrecked plane but it didn't work have fun everyone.
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 21:04:32 »
...Just one point though.....I did not think that children were allowed in bars or that they had anything that great to bring to general chat...So maybe, just maybe you need to re-name this section..The playground and General tat..... :wink: ....Could be where you guys are going wrong... :roll:

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 21:06:34 »
As I say, I don't really have a clue what's going on at the moment, all I know is that I am receiving complaints left right and center about excessive moderation and some very insulting things said about friends of mine, not to mention me myself.

My opinion is that we should all realise that each and every one of us is a person and with that comes quirks, foibles and misunderstandings.

Now can we please appreciate that email and forums are hideously prone to  misinterpretation and when we receive a comment which can be interpreted one way or the other it would be better if we all assume that it's meant the way that doesn't get us annoyed.

Granted, there is a degree of hypocrisy and needing to learn my own lesson here, but there you have it I'm no more perfect than anyone else.
--

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 21:14:25 »
Actually...

A new poll

Considering that you (royal you, i.e. a lot of people) have already sufficiently angered Neil that he no longer wants to be a member of mud-club, and you blatently have no regard for me.

Why don't we just call it a day?  You don't like it here, and frankly I'm tired of spending my time being told I'm wrong and being insulted.
--

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 21:18:20 »
Quote from: "datalas"
Actually...

A new poll

Considering that you (royal you, i.e. a lot of people) have already sufficiently angered Neil that he no longer wants to be a member of mud-club, and you blatently have no regard for me.

Why don't we just call it a day?  You don't like it here, and frankly I'm tired of spending my time being told I'm wrong and being insulted.

Sounds a bit like 'It is my ball' Don`t you think.
What is needed is some consulatation with the members and maybe what they would like...It is not rocket science and it is capable of being done here on line in this forum....The kid stuff is killing this forum really......

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 21:21:49 »
Quote from: "att"

What is needed is some consulatation with the members and maybe what they would like...It is not rocket science and it is capable of being done here on line in this forum....The kid stuff is killing this forum really......

I'm trying to be reasonable, but not swearing is not really that much of a burden to be brutally honest is it?

I spend roughly six hours a day tending to my duties on mud-club and whilst we can indeed discuss it, I don't think we'll get anywhere, since you think one thing and I think another.

I've even gone to the extent of pointing out that there are places, so called "adult" conversations where swearing is tolerated, this isn't so much a "childlike thing" but simply a reflection of the world we live in.  You wouldn't swear in a children's playground so why is it appropriate in a thread which is likely to appeal to a child?

And since when is swearing a staple part of adult conversation anyhow ?

Anyhow, can we please drop the matter?
--

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 21:23:58 »
This thread should be locked.

Why? If folk haven't got the decency to respect the views of those who OWN this forum, then I'm sorry, but you forfiet your right to comment.

As has been said, this forum belongs to a few guys, not everyone else, but a few guys we know and could name here. It's their party - what they say goes. You have no rights, only priveldges. Some would do well to learn that.

:evil:
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 21:24:31 »
As it goes for kids reading it.......

This is how i see it from my short life experience, i was brought up by my grandparents in a very very disciplined and strict old fashioned manner. In some ways some of my ideals are old fashioned stemmed from them. Anyway my mum would have me on a Saturday and would in the summer take me to the local pub to watch the bowls and so-on where she drank beer sometimes guinness :O i know how unlady like. Anyway in the pub were lots of men and women using profanity's and they didn't stop because young impressionable me was there.

So you might think being around people using foul language and people drinking copious amounts of alcohol id of turned out into a foul mouth alcoholic teen.

But that wasn't and isn't that case i don't drink and i never have done! odd glass of wine with meals which i was brought up with. I never ever was told off for using foul language because i never used it. I new from my upbringing the language was impolite and wrong and young little girls didn't use it, i knew id be in serious trouble if i did and that was good enough for me.

So i guess what im saying is its not the reading or hearing of the words its the ability to be able to tell the right from the wrong. If a child is well disciplined and well behaved they will understand that those words are not to be repeated.

The same with smoking, drinking and taking drugs really. But we can't virtually do that.

Its all discipline at the end of the day and being brought up with the self discipline and will power not to follow the crowd.

I don't think i started swearing in sentence until well into college and even then i used to say sorry after every time i swore which annoyed people more than me just saying the word and being done with it.

I and everyone else i think understand where mudclub are coming from being a family friendly forum and no-one has a problem with the filter or filtering out there language with **** or whatever. Its when it comes to don't use **** etc it seems to be going a little bit to far. If a child can tell what **** is im pretty damn sure they can select a few words to fill in expletive deleted with to. As it isn't what the child reads on the net or what places the child visits its the upbringing as to whether there going to go around Fing and Blinding at everyone they see!

If i had a child i wouldn't mind them hearing the odd amount of swearing and reading swear words on the net (supervised) after all they do live in the real world not on a fluffy cloud in the sky. Id just make sure they understood strongly the difference between reading and hearing and using!

The above is my personal opinion which im sure many will disagree with but hey ho

I just think instead of going bonkers on the swearing keep the rules you do have but concentrate on enforcing them for everyone and less on in what way someone is filtering out there foul language.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2007, 21:27:13 »

Well, it IS his ball.  Datalas was one of the original team who set up the club.  The same team who have funded the club, host a huge website (not exactly for free), keep it secure, keep it reliable, sit there coding things to work the way they work...  I think that gives him a bit of a right to lay claim to it.

Remind me att, what have you contributed exactly?  I'm really struggling to remember.

The kid stuff isn't killing the forum, it's actually a small handful of users such as yourself who are determined to try and make a fuss here and there until people just get fed up with the whole thing.  The day mud-club closes down it won't be because the user base has gone away, because the vast majority of users value a fun, family-friendly and free club.  It'll be because people like you have driven things to the point where Datalas and a small number of others pull the plug on it.

But then, of course you knew that already, didn't you.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 21:29:43 »
Quote from: "Eeyore"
This thread should be locked.

Why? If folk haven't got the decency to respect the views of those who OWN this forum, then I'm sorry, but you forfiet your right to comment.

As has been said, this forum belongs to a few guys, not everyone else, but a few guys we know and could name here. It's their party - what they say goes. You have no rights, only priveldges. Some would do well to learn that.

:evil:
Eeyore

A forum is made up of its members though....  Maybe we should get rid of the right to vote in this country and have one man and few friends rule it.... Isnt that what happened in Germany all those years ago and there was a war about that.

After all as Thrasher once said it is "our forum" "mine, yours and everyone" or something along those lines.

All people are doing is expressing there views to the rest of there coummunity.

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2007, 21:30:11 »

I'm trying to be reasonable, but not swearing is not really that much of a burden to be brutally honest is it?

I spend roughly six hours a day tending to my duties on mud-club and whilst we can indeed discuss it, I don't think we'll get anywhere, since you think one thing and I think another.

I've even gone to the extent of pointing out that there are places, so called "adult" conversations where swearing is tolerated, this isn't so much a "childlike thing" but simply a reflection of the world we live in.  You wouldn't swear in a children's playground so why is it appropriate in a thread which is likely to appeal to a child?

And since when is swearing a staple part of adult conversation anyhow ?

Anyhow, can we please drop the matter?

You are bang on, not swearing is not that difficult for most....But for some it is difficult and for those and others the very fact that we/they are not allowed to do it is an infringement upon thier civil liberty......It goes deeper than just not swearing........It has been a right for thousands of years and to lose it now is going backwars not forwards...
And what Keri says is just so spot on it defies belief.... :shock:

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 21:33:36 »
Keri ..

You are right, and simply hearing the odd swear word is not going to turn people into raging criminals or even make them swear more or less than is required.

The trouble is one of context.  As I tried to suggest there are places for swearing, and places where it truly isn't appropriate.   We did at one point only moderate things which we had complaints about, however more words have made their way into the swear filter, which will indiscriminately get rid of the words in it.

Now, you may question the appropriateness of those words in a context which is purely adult in nature, but it is applied to all sections and all posts,  in a joke (a domain where the childen are perhaps more likely to tread) swearing is possibly less appropriate.

I do not have the time to read every post, so I have to let the swear filter do some of it for me.

The only thing that does annoy me is that people insist on deliberately bypassing the swear filter.  Why?  considering the above you can guess why the word was censored and most people will be able to guess what was meant anyway ( err to clarify, this is the royal you, and not directed at keri )

Now, with that in mind, is this really really really worth arguing about?  recent events on mud-club have driven me to the point where I cannot eat or sleep due to stress, not something I want to continue with.
--

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 21:33:57 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"

Well, it IS his ball.  Datalas was one of the original team who set up the club.  The same team who have funded the club, host a huge website (not exactly for free), keep it secure, keep it reliable, sit there coding things to work the way they work...  I think that gives him a bit of a right to lay claim to it.

Remind me att, what have you contributed exactly?  I'm really struggling to remember.

The kid stuff isn't killing the forum, it's actually a small handful of users such as yourself who are determined to try and make a fuss here and there until people just get fed up with the whole thing.  The day mud-club closes down it won't be because the user base has gone away, because the vast majority of users value a fun, family-friendly and free club.  It'll be because people like you have driven things to the point where Datalas and a small number of others pull the plug on it.

But then, of course you knew that already, didn't you.

I will be honest here...And you may well not like it it..But the closure of this site will never happen if you go to the vote. If the majority of members want to stop swearing then you will have your wish, if the majority want it allowed then you will abide...I do not ever see this website closing, there is too much positive nergy here for that to ahppen and if you are totally honest with yourselves you will never let it happen.
You may close it for a weekend just to let everyone know who is boss, but it will never cease.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 21:37:34 »

I will be honest here...And you may well not like it it..But the closure of this site will never happen if you go to the vote.

That's the problem.  This site is paid for and hosted by the admin team, if they (we) leave or decide to turn it off then it will in it's current form at least completely cease to be.

You say there is too much positive energy for that to happen?  It's come a lot closer than you think let me assure you.
--

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 21:38:24 »
No, it wasn't what happened in Germany (which is a subject I won't get drawn on).

So, we have to respect your desires, but you don't have to respect ours?

:roll:
Seems fair?

Eeyore

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2007, 21:40:45 »
Anyhow,  since nothing I have to say carries any weight around here, I'm going to go and be sick for the ninth time this evening and let the rest of you argue it out.

you never know, I might even come back
--

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2007, 21:41:47 »
ATT that is so not true.

First off it does say in the rules no swearing.  Surely that means no swearing, no intimating towards swearing or anything similar like blocking out letters.

Using the dogs idea:

D*** D*gs D**s and even **** are intimating towards the same thing so therefore why bother?

This is a family friendly forum, this is run by people who set the rules.  Thrasher was right when he said it is our forum, but in anything there needs to be rules, one of which is no swearing full stop, why cant people just abide by that?

Its quite simple, you dont like rules, dont log in in the first place, you shouldnt log in to question the rules when you dont put anything apart from grief to the site and the staff who run it.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 21:43:34 »
Quote from: "Eeyore"
No, it wasn't what happened in Germany (which is a subject I won't get drawn on).

So, we have to respect your desires, but you don't have to respect ours?

:roll:
Seems fair?

Eeyore

Who's direspecting your views by discussing? no-one is dis respecting you or any of the other mods and no-one ever has been doing.

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 21:45:08 »
Anyhow,  since nothing I have to say carries any weight around here, I'm going to go and be sick for the ninth time this evening and let the rest of you argue it out.

When I read stuff like that I wonder how you are still going......It is not big or clever and if it is true you need to leave now....Just for your own health.

If it has got close to being 'stopped' or 'ceased' then a new management team is what is required, may seem harsh but all things in life have to evolve and progress, the future is a fickle thing and stops for no man...May not like what I say but in my experience is often true..No. not often...Always...

att

Swearing on the increase
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 21:46:41 »
Quote from: "BadgersRover"
ATT that is so not true.

First off it does say in the rules no swearing.  Surely that means no swearing, no intimating towards swearing or anything similar like blocking out letters.

Using the dogs idea:

D*** D*gs D**s and even **** are intimating towards the same thing so therefore why bother?

This is a family friendly forum, this is run by people who set the rules.  Thrasher was right when he said it is our forum, but in anything there needs to be rules, one of which is no swearing full stop, why cant people just abide by that?

Its quite simple, you dont like rules, dont log in in the first place, you shouldnt log in to question the rules when you dont put anything apart from grief to the site and the staff who run it.

Just look at your avatar for the answer to that one....

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 21:47:00 »

When I read stuff like that I wonder how you are still going......It is not big or clever and if it is true you need to leave now....Just for your own health.

If it has got close to being 'stopped' or 'ceased' then a new management team is what is required, may seem harsh but all things in life have to evolve and progress, the future is a fickle thing and stops for no man...May not like what I say but in my experience is often true..No. not often...Always...

Wrong again, what needs to happen is people need to stop questioning those who run the site in the first place and accept their rules and as said previously if that aint right, find the door!!!!!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 21:47:13 »

That's not really your decision though is it att?

At the moment I'm still 50/50 as to whether you're deliberately trying to get the club shut down, or deliberately trying to take it over.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Swearing on the increase
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 21:50:13 »
Locked.

If folk can't be nice, then your rights are forfeit. I tried to expalin it, but sometimes people just don't see whats written before them.

There seems to be a serious case of short-term memory going on here as well. I can pull out streams of posts by many contributors which are unwelcome, abusive, intentionally disruptive or rife with profanities.

we haven't axed a lot of members because we (foolishly) sometimes give folk the benefit of the doubt. We think maybe they'll change and become more responsible posters.

We are continually dissapointed by human nature.

Now, can I suggest that every steps back form the keyboard and comes back tomorrow, with a clearer vision and a calmer temperament?

EDIT: I'd also like to express special thanks to the poster who is now trying to intimdate the Admins and Moderators team. Makes me feel this is really worth while.

Cheers
Eeyore

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal