AuthorTopic: The safest place in england.  (Read 12037 times)

AbyssDJ

The safest place in england.
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2007, 00:38:02 »
Quote from: "P16LET"

Pretty much everyone else manages to abide by the fairly lax site guidelines...so I really am intruiged as to why can't you?

(...something else to ponder, this entire rebuke was put together without using one single profanity...a novel concept to both of you I'm sure)

a lovely story im sure... although i think the problem here stemmed from the fact that one of these guideline abiding members came into a thread intended as light humour and completely did his nut, throwing !Expletive Deleted!'s here there and everywhere...

if i recall correctly, it was keri that politely made comment about it and pointed out that it wasnt intended as a snipe at the police or at any policeman in particular.

now other than saying what i think, which numerous people dislike, i dont see which of these lax guidelines i'm missing.

ps. bob, i dont ever recall meeting you. if i have, you must have kept it pretty damn quiet for some reason...

ps again. that !Expletive Deleted! was typed - i did not swear. apparently, that makes a difference.

Offline Devon-Rover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Tavistock
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2007, 00:48:24 »
Liam i have said this before on another forum. It might be an idea to take this on the chin and take five away from the keyboard.
The Admin and the mods do sterling service in keeping this forum running ship shape and bristol fashion. And your not doing yourself any favours by arguing the "flip" with them at this time. Right or not you'll just have to back down and accept what you are told with good grace. Pursuing this matter will only get you further up the creak without a paddle.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2007, 00:49:50 »
In all fairness, the simple fact of the matter is, that you (...and that is meant as a dual not a singular you) as ever, choose to select the points of a debate that most suit your purpose.

This is not the first time that a topic has been hijacked for the purposes of having a needle at someone.  It has been pointed out on more than one occasion that neither the moderators nor the site admin are fair game, and if you have any grievances about the practices of either, then perhaps you should message them personally, instead of it turning into a rather public slanging match.

The fact that Keri mentioned anything about moderators in this posting was done purely on the basis of poking an already unsettled wasps nest (...refer to the Moan thread not so long since)...there was no cause or purpose for it to be mentioned, so why not leave well alone?

I'm not the only person who is becoming more and more unsettled by the venomous nature that is developing within these posts....however, unlike some of the more shy and retiring members, who agree wholeheartledly, but choose not to get involved...I will stand my ground if only on their behalf.  If the way this site is run doesn't suit you or you feel you have nothing of any value to contribute to what invariably starts out a a fairly inoccuous post, then it would be better for all concerned to just keep your peace or go elsewhere.....better to remain quiet and thought a fool etc.
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline mud-club-matty

Attack Member
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2007, 00:51:01 »
that admin team do a grate  job on running the forum  ontop of there day to day jobs  would love to know how the fit time in with the familys   all my regards to the admin team
http://z4.invisionfree.com/4wd_crazy  join me here
www.mm4x4.co.uk www.landymad.piczo.com (my site)
www.scorpionracing.co.uk
www.forest4wd.co.uk (come and have your offroad lessons  here)

1992 defender 90 200tdi (mine)
 dads work  discovery 300tdi (noppy) co driver
 project discovery 300tdi     (mr p)  project supervisor

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2007, 00:51:14 »
having read through this and having read another post by neil, i hope that both you liam and keri are satisfied as what you have achieved

now are either of you going to loose your attitude's ?
or are you going to continue upsetting people on this forum who have got along great until you laim started rearing up  :shock:

it has now stretched as far as to upsetting the site owner which has such now resulted in most discovery owners loosing out, but not only that, everyone on this forum missing out on hit whit and humor

am disgusted at you both, weve never seen eye to eye but i started getting respect back for you as you briefly lost the cheek and attitude problem

well done  =D> =D>

now do us all a favour and get your coat and F off  :shock:  :shock:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2007, 00:56:34 »
Erm,

This is a thread supposidly discussing the state of policing in the UK.

Keep it on subject, please.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2007, 00:59:48 »
sorry Eeyore
but i am thoughly hacked off big time about the manner of respect that has been diplayed towards neil  :shock:
its disgraceful
now im going bed before i spit my dummy right out  :shock:
goodnite fella's  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2007, 01:01:31 »
*hears the distinct jingle of keys of a topic about to be locked*

Can't say that i have seen many police in the local tesco's, Can't say really that i spend enough time loitering in the car park to find out.  :lol:
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2007, 01:03:13 »
Quote from: "Devon-Rover"

Can't say that i have seen many police in the local tesco's, Can't say really that i spend enough time loitering in the car park to find out.  :lol:

no,too busy hiding in gateways eating donuts awaiting some pearson to drive past 3 mph over the speed limit and pull them  :P  :P

AbyssDJ

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:11 »
here comes the sympathy vote. i give up, i really do! fact of the matter is that none of this even needed to start... but no. all keri did is say maybe highlander should calm down a bit and that it wasnt intended as an insult to anyone etc etc etc and that gets returned with a handful of members throwing virtual, forum based bricks at her for it.

THAT is what narked me, and THAT is why i posted in here in the first place. correct me if im wrong, but keri had posted in here a few times before any of that cracked off... so im pretty sure that accusing her (or us...) of only posting in here because there was an opportunity to stir it up is quite unfair.

the incident in the moan thread was also started by someone else that i've had grief with and spoke to moderators about before... seemingly another one that frequently gets away with whatever.

anyway, on a lighter note, i shall not get my coat and "f off" at all, but i would appreciate it if you didnt avoid the language filter :wink:

AbyssDJ

« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:46 »
ps. ashby tescos is always full of bobbys.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2007, 01:13:30 »
Ahem, 'POLICING IN THE UK' :roll:

Your co-operation is expected  [-X

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2007, 01:22:06 »
In light of all this, perhaps this is an ideal opportunity for both of you to pull your horns in a little.

This site does have a tendency to police itself (...no pun intended with regard to the origins of this post!)..so if you have reservations about the actions of other members then perhaps you should leave the much maligned moderators to do their "job" and pull the apparent offenders up for any site infractions....and leave yourselves well out the firing line.

However, despite all of this, Thrasher has taken the decision to remove himself from getting involved in any further "debates" by not posting at all - this is indeed a sorry state of affairs and will come as a shock to a lot of people.  :shock:
If you imagine Thrasher as a pub landlord and you as a rather outspoken and rumbunxious customer, if he was threatening to bar you from your local for your actions, you would be inclined to apologise for your behaviour, whether you believed you were right or not, purely so you could continue drinking somewhere you liked being....if you apply that scenario to this site, perhaps you should apologise to Thrasher for your behaviour in this instance....and if not for this, then just for the fact that you have made his life ten times more difficult than it ought to be, and generally upset and offended other "regulars"  :(

We all wait with eager anticipation.......
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2007, 01:22:24 »
Quote from: "AbyssDJ"
here comes the sympathy vote. i give up, i really do! fact of the matter is that none of this even needed to start... but no. all keri did is say maybe highlander should calm down a bit and that it wasnt intended as an insult to anyone etc etc etc and that gets returned with a handful of members throwing virtual, forum based bricks at her for it.

THAT is what narked me, and THAT is why i posted in here in the first place. correct me if im wrong, but keri had posted in here a few times before any of that cracked off... so im pretty sure that accusing her (or us...) of only posting in here because there was an opportunity to stir it up is quite unfair.

the incident in the moan thread was also started by someone else that i've had grief with and spoke to moderators about before... seemingly another one that frequently gets away with whatever.

anyway, on a lighter note, i shall not get my coat and "f off" at all, but i would appreciate it if you didnt avoid the language filter :wink:

liam, i do no wish to continue this matter any further
all i ask...wel infact the whole forum asks, it to drop the attitude, stop stooping to levels, ino your definding keri, but she's a grown girl she can defend herself  8)

now can i ask one thing of you ?
redeem yourself by speaking to neil, as the forum really is loosing out by him not posting, the site simply will not be the same  :cry:
even yuorself will loose out of his know how  :wink:

so now that both, yourself, me matt and the others have all pick'd our toys up and put our dummys back in can we please get back onto the topic  :roll:

however in my defence, i put that as pollitely as i could at the time  :shock:  and avoiding the filter b putting it the way i did might have made you realise at my disgust  :shock:

now back to the skiving pink things  :P    :twisted:

dan

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2007, 01:22:44 »

10 out of 10 in the observation test!

Having just deleted three off topic (i.e unwanted) posts, I'm lokcing this thread.

It's only in for onvernight. Once it's sobered up and can walk straight it'll be unlocked to make it's own way home again.

As flippant as that sounds, I think it's a sad, sad indication of peoples attitudes when they can't show the decency to respect other folks views, especially of those who resource this forum. I'd like to thank them that have showed support for the Addy and Moddy team - it's apprecaited. I'd especially like to thank them that have tired to defuse the current situation.

Now, move along folks, there's nothing more to see here. Move along, now.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2007, 01:24:20 »
Quote from: "Eeyore"

10 out of 10 in the observation test!

Having just deleted three off topic (i.e unwanted) posts, I'm lokcing this thread.

It's only in for onvernight. Once it's sobered up and can walk straight it'll be unlocked to make it's own way home again.

As flippant as that sounds, I think it's a sad, sad indication of peoples attitudes when they can't show the decency to respect other folks views, especially of those who resource this forum.

Now, move along folks, there's nothing more to see here. Move along, now.

thought you were locking it  :P  :P
running........gone...............

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:17 »
unlocked again.

Thanks for your patience, folks.  8)

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2007, 10:46:08 »
Top marks Eeyore, an excellent bit of moderating.

Back to the subject in hand... Policing in the UK has changes, but so has crime, and people’s attitudes. New officers are now trained to question their superiors where it use to be like the military.

We are told to go out in to the community, engage with them, yes have lunch where we can be seen. I agree not everyone see it like that but that is the way we are going. Surely its better we are seen buying food at Tescos or if you are LSP Harrods :wink: than huddled behind a desk or watching TV in the refs room.

I figure I dammed if I do and dammed if I don't, therefore I don't care as long as I am doing my job to the best of my ability. Because of the nature of our job we stand out like a sore thumb no matter what we do, be it right or wrong.

I was recently at a RTA, a serious one a fatal and I had a chap fail to stop at my road block, I eventually got him stopped and he was so angry with me he made a complaint... Why??? he was in the wrong?? Was I worried, not one bit. His complaint was tossed out very quickly…

However I will say one thing, I love this website and have made some good friends on it but I do not come here for people for people to have a pop at my profession because they have had a bad experience with a police man in the past! There is a time and place for complaining about the police and that is after the experience to their boss. I would not come here and say most lorry drivers are fat arrogant sexist pigs, because that is a generalisation and just not true.

Oh god after reading this hasn’t my diversity training worked… right I’m now off to Czech for a week where there is no such thing as diversity!
 :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2007, 11:08:33 »
I have a colleague whose son is quite some way up in a regional force. His major gripe now is that he is pressurized to fulfill certain targets, which can can often be at odds with what the public feel is more important. To be fair to the him, he often beleives the public is right in what they want. But no, his superiors decide that certain types of crime are 'less important' because they don't hit the right tick-box with the Auditors.

He's no longer happy with his job (unsurprisingly).

His other comment was echoed above - two guys, one car, half a county to patrol. You can't be everywhere at once but the police are a victim of resource cutting and resource 'realignment' too. It ain't your bobbies fault - it's them higher up the chain.

Yeah, okay there are plenty of bad apples in the barrel (isn't there always) but there's no resource for that to be handled appropriately.

What's the answer? No idea, perosanally, but I'm interested as to what others can suggest, especially our serving officers. They're the guys having to do the job.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore

p.s. Thank you Boggert, very kind to say.   8)

Offline Jamin

Attack Member
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2007, 11:10:22 »
Therse was always a bobby in our local Superdrug.

He used to stand at the back of the store doing very little.

Was also very rude, woudnt respond to you if you spoke to him. Just stand there grinning  :shock:

Im all for police think they do a great job, and personally never met one who hasnt been professional and very helpfull ( im a law abider)

But this guy was just awfull, every day doing nothing. Wasting time and money. Hopefully he was fired!

Went in one day and someone had crudely repaired him with selotape!

Did they really think it would deter shoplifters! :D :lol:  :D  :lol:

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2007, 11:31:22 »
Finding bobbies in chemists and pharmacies is quite common nowadays, depending on your location. Certainly, the ones I've had the pleasure of working in had issues arising from the free issue of syringes and them picking up rehab scripts. Some of the clientel can get a bit 'assertive'. Ahh, how I miss Kings Lynn, Norwich and Ipswich (not!)

Your average store guard carries less authority than a guy with a 'proper' badge (and a stick).

Sadly, guarding something always involve a lot of standing around waiting for something to happen.

As with a lot of things however, this may not be the enitre story, and he could have just been hiding out of the way and being obnoxious, but the thought is worth raising.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2007, 11:40:32 »
I have a colleague whose son is quite some way up in a regional force. His major gripe now is that he is pressurized to fulfill certain targets, which can can often be at odds with what the public feel is more important. To be fair to the him, he often beleives the public is right in what they want. But no, his superiors decide that certain types of crime are 'less important' because they don't hit the right tick-box with the Auditors.

He's no longer happy with his job (unsurprisingly).

His other comment was echoed above - two guys, one car, half a county to patrol. You can't be everywhere at once but the police are a victim of resource cutting and resource 'realignment' too. It ain't your bobbies fault - it's them higher up the chain.

Yeah, okay there are plenty of bad apples in the barrel (isn't there always) but there's no resource for that to be handled appropriately.

What's the answer? No idea, perosanally, but I'm interested as to what others can suggest, especially our serving officers. They're the guys having to do the job.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore

p.s. Thank you Boggert, very kind to say.   8)

Unfortunately alot of this government's money saving has been mainly through natural wastage with people leaving jobs and not being replaced not just in the Police but in other area's NHS, Civil Service e.t.c.

This means less staff to do more who's work loads continue to rise due to illness & stress then more people leave and it just gets worse.

Now after Mr Blair has left it has been handed to Mr Brown who is going to get bitten in the rear because its now starting to blow up into strikes.

You have only got to look around to see that police manpower has dropped dramatically in recent years.

If you only new how much money is wasted within the Civil service alone its shocking (I have worked within it).

I think if all mp's and top civil servants took a 10% pay cut this country would make millions over night.

Offline Jamin

Attack Member
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2007, 11:43:02 »
Did the pic not Work :D

Your average store guard carries less authority than a guy with a 'proper' badge (and a stick).

Being 5mm thick and an inanimate objet, i think his authority was minimal :D

Offline The Ant Hill Mob

Attack Member
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2007, 13:24:25 »
I'd like to ask the serving officers on here, when they're in Tesco's or wherever,  buying their dinner, how many people go up to them and start hassling them?  And how many times do they get a smile and a thanks from Joe Public for doing a sterling job with few resources, and daft laws to work around.

My stepdad repeatedly got taken home as a child after falling in the local horse trough.  After being given a clip round the ear by the local bobby (who was 8ft tall and built like a brick outhouse), he'd get the same from his Mum, as he was making her ashamed in front of the neighbours, by bringing the little tyke home!

How many times is this repeated nowadays?  The clip round the ear would count as GBH against the officer, and it's now illegal to give a child a slap on the back of the legs (the bit where Mums know it really hurts).  How many parents would now turn around and have a go at the officer for bringing the child home?

I know times change, and I'm not longing for the good old days where diptheria, measles and scarlet fever were child killers, but this type of policing seemed to work well - they didn't have ASBO's in those days, as Policemen (and Teachers) got the respect they deserved from the vast majority of people.
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2007, 13:29:52 »
Quote from: "Jamin"

Being 5mm thick and an inanimate objet, i think his authority was minimal :D

And the moral of this story is always read the post properly first!  :oops:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nice one!  :wink:

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2007, 18:19:43 »

awww i missed all this cos i cant get online at home,

anyhow

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh listen

its all nice & quiet now  8)
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2007, 18:54:03 »
Quote from: "Xtremeteam"

awww i missed all this cos i cant get online at home,

anyhow

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh listen,

its all nice & quiet now  8)

BOO!
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2007, 18:58:30 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
I would not come here and say most lorry drivers are fat arrogant sexist pigs, because that is a generalisation and just not true.:lol:

In my case, Il'e give you the fat and arrogant bit   :wink:  :lol:
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2007, 19:02:19 »
Quote from: "discograham"
I would not come here and say most lorry drivers are fat arrogant sexist pigs, because that is a generalisation and just not true.:lol:

And thats just the female ones

*runs like hell*
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2007, 19:23:12 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Quote from: "discograham"

And thats just the female ones

*runs like hell*

Evilgoat gets hit by flying Yorkie bar......
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal