AuthorTopic: help gearbox woes (again) UPDATE !!!!  (Read 346 times)

Offline paul and sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
help gearbox woes (again) UPDATE !!!!
« on: August 15, 2007, 19:06:10 »
oh bu**er!
can anyone advise me i am asking this on behalf of my son he has a 300tdi wit i think a 380 gearbox. today he went to change gear and lost all gears except reverse even going throught the hi low eange gives him nothing . he is in cornwall and i am in london it is going to be recoverd and brought up to me tonight and i will look at it as soon as poss the only problem is where to look :oops: it had a clutch and fork bearing etc replaced about three months ago any help would be thankfully  recived   many thanks :roll:

UPDATE!! got the disco to me this afternoon find that i can get fith and reverse but thats all has anyone got any other thoughts on the problem as i dont want to start ripping out the box only to find that its something that i can fix in situe many thanks for the advice so far i will look into them tommrow

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 20:10:14 »
any noises? sounds like something has come a miss, possibly the transfer case?

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 22:11:00 »
Hi mate

common things to check require the removal of the centre console and rubber gaitor.
1. Check the two springs on top of the gearbox and that the metal plate hasn't broken off between the two springs(if so it will need welding/replacing)
2. Remove the four bolts that hold the lever assembley to the gearbox and the clevis pins for the linkage,then take off the plate and look inside the gearbox.If you look down you will see a round ball with a hole in it for the gearstick to sit in,make sure this is secure and not dropped out.
3. The housing that the ball above fits into is fitted to the selector shaft and secured via a grub screw,check this is tight.

If these all seem o.k it sounds like the gear shaft has snapped,which unfortunately is fairly common for the R380.

Hope this helps and you don't end up needing a replacement gearbox

Neil.....
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline paul and sam

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 20:46:33 »
got it back today and  please see up date

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
gearbox woes again
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 19:27:23 »
this is almost identical to what happened to my 200tdi last week. i lost all gears, then they came back, then I lost all apart from reverse and fourth.

Manged to drive all the way to the village where i work in fourth then through the village in low box fourth so manged to get it to the farm.... Gearbox is completely dead now though. Its being swapped with a recon unit.

Last stage of the deterioration was that I was only able to drive it 3-4feet before the front dipped down and it just stalled itself. Think your going to be looking at a new box.........also when we started it to then try and drive it into the workshop, it was driving itself when in neutral on the main box. Also making a REALLY bad scraping rattling noise.

chris
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal