AuthorTopic: Yeh right....  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Disco-Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Yeh right....
« on: August 10, 2007, 22:07:29 »
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline leo

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 22:16:35 »
do u think it will sell  :lol:

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 22:19:36 »
He's having a  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  aint he :? I only paid £500 more for my Terrano With 59K on the clock :roll: Sorry but that LR did nothing for me, in fact to me it looked a dog. The reason I state this is i've seen club members LR up for sale for less & if I could get the money together I would have bourght 1-6 of them.
Sorry rant over with & going into hiding
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
Yeh right....
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 22:20:57 »
T'is a bit of a strange thingummyjig for that price  :?  Shame they didn't have time to clean it up a bit, too busy making sure it is mechanically perfect, I guess?!!
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline Hobnailkelly

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 23:51:41 »
Just sent the following list of questions  - just to avoid ambiguity of course.

I can find no reference to a Series 1 Lightweight, only a 2a or 3 – I’m confused – is this a prototype?  Do you know what the original chassis number was as early examples are very rare and can fetch loads of money from collectors.
How much of the original lightweight is left – is it only the bodywork?
Is the rear bumper off a Range Rover?
Are the axles from a Range Rover as well?
Where is the fuel filler cap – does it use the Range Rover tank?
How does the ‘bolt in bed system’ work?  Does it extend into the cab area or do your feet stick out the back door?  I am asking because the back of a Landrover is only small and I would have to curl up very small, and so would my mate, to get inside the back.
My cousin lives near Axminster and can come and buy it for me.

Think I'll get an answer?

AbyssDJ

Yeh right....
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 23:58:22 »
erm.... right.... :?.............. wierd

edit - anyone noticed that its not on a q plate?

Offline Hobnailkelly

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 00:10:40 »
Sure looks like a lightweight chassis - a lightweight body would be too narrow to go on a Rangie frame.  If the chassis is wrong how much is right?  

I think I'll wait till we've all had a laugh before I report him to eBay.

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 00:22:49 »
Quote from: "Hobnailkelly"
Sure looks like a lightweight chassis - a lightweight body would be too narrow to go on a Rangie frame.  If the chassis is wrong how much is right?  

I think I'll wait till we've all had a laugh before I report him to eBay.

Rather than a smart arse reply like the above above reply, why didn't you send a nice message to him to find out how much he actually knows. Maybe the guy is a genuine guy who is only repeating what he has been told and what it was sold to him as and doesn't actually have any other clue. Would make more sense's than going and getting peoples listing removed before you kow the full facts. Maybe after talking to him he'd remove it himself if he realised he was wrong. Or maybe you'd like to go down and investigate this "landrover" yourself first as well rather than jumping in with the smart arse ways.

He prob wont reply to your question because he will read it and think my god what a smart arse **** or something similar.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 00:26:20 »
Quote from: "Hobnailkelly"
a lightweight body would be too narrow to go on a Rangie frame.  

Well, you can see the coil spings in the pics, so it's defp coild sprung.... and as for the width.. maybe thats why there's 3 inches of rubber sticking out over the wheels eh...... :roll:
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 08:20:28 »
Seat covers and the cab looked like it was full of mud! strange...

I agree its a lot of money, does nothing for me.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 09:34:21 »
I really cant post what I want to as I'll get yelled at. At least you guys only get moderated, I get shouted at :(

Only kidding Daz  :lol:
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 00:06:13 »
went on a number plate search and its said they had found the perfect plate???????

must be on retention????

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline redhand

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 01:37:57 »
Quote from: "simdeb"
went on a number plate search and its said they had found the perfect plate???????

must be on retention????

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp

That's a marketing scam whatever number you put in it will tell you it's available. but when you try to buy it you get the "Oh sorry we just sold that reg no. but we have a similar one available."

As to the vehicle it's a lightweight body on a rangie or 90 chassis. there's no great mystery to it. I've seen several 90/110 looking worse than that for more money. both on ebay and on 4x4 forums.

Well it is tax exempt. and it's got an mot. According to the DVLA it's a green 2.5ltr diesel. next tax disc to be issued May 2008
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline more x 4

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 21:55:39 »
this is from dvla on the plate :wink:

Date of Liability       01 05 2008
Date of First Registration    01 06 1978
Year of Manufacture    1970
Cylinder Capacity (cc)    2495CC
CO2 Emissions    Not Available
Fuel Type    Heavy Oil
Export Marker    Not Applicable
Vehicle Status    Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour    GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval    null

i think tax exemption is a bit iffy on those details
the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity

home of the flying pajero
with red ali///art mudflaps

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 22:31:38 »
From the replies it would seem that the seller is fully aware of what the vehicle is, or isn't ...

whether he's aware that you can't "shorten and narrow" a chassis without it being classed as a radical modification and requiring an SVA is another matter, he suggests that it's had an SVA which implies he's aware something is amiss, although, how it got an age related plate after one, especially on an ex-army vehicle is another matter.

Personally I'd stay on the steer well clear side, since, well you can't technically get a coil sprung 200tdi lightweight which is tax exempt,  even if it started as a range rover it's been heavily tweaked and that would (by some) be against the DVLA rules regarding points, and even if you could then I personally think it's too expensive.

All my opinion though ...

And as for "giving him the benefit of the doubt" and asking nice polite questions, whether he knows it or not he is quite possibly selling an illegal vehicle which would be reason enough to query it's place on ebay.  If he knows and doesn't care, he's not going to do anything about it, if he doesn't know and takes his time caring then some poor unsuspecting sap could buy it and be left with a vehicle which would be uninsured in the event of an accident ...  [1]

Caveat Empor is one thing, but standing by and not saying anything is another ...

All IMHO again ...

[1] all of which assumes the vehicle is dodgey
--

Offline Hobnailkelly

Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 23:57:44 »
This is the reply I got to my questions:

Hi ,All i know is it is the first shape LightWeight,its not a prototype,all the shell, interior,bumpers are original LightWeight. The chassis and axles are Range Rover,the engine and gearbox are 90/Defender. The filler cap is converted to be like a normal Land Rover,as originally you had to lift the seats to fill up ! it has a standard tank which is positioned under the passenger seat up out the way like normal series Land Rovers. The bed system I made for when i was away travelling,it consists of two L shaped pieces that fit up to the back of the seats,then when parked up ,recline seat backs forward and two pieces fold down on top, this gives two beds over six foot long, although close to roof.The L shape is by the back door so you can climb in ,close he door,then disrobe to go to bed,very handy when raining ! There is also a lean-too canopy that I converted to house on the back, to cook under and shelter from rain,this was made from a cube shape tent frame,the cover is long gone ,but I use a small tarp which just chucks over quick and bulldog clips on for speed. Thanks Bruce

IMHO this is a Lightweight with a coil conversion - possibly on a new chassis.  It would take some serious engineering to shorten and narrowen(?) a Rangie frame.   The front bumper and especially the rear crossmember look right.  Leaving it on the original or new lightweight  chassis would make it an easy job to an SVA and MOT. Difficult to tell if it's running Rangie axles but that is the easy way to get discs all round.  It would probly explain the wheel-arch extensions and Rostyle wheels.  Original bodywork and chassis would make it eligible for tax exemption I think.
The filler and tank also sounds like standard Lightweight - not at all like a 'normal series Landrover'

If I am correct, then (with a new chassis, good engine and box) it is possibly worth about half what he's wanting, tops.  It may just be that whoever he bought it from gave him duff information.
The bed arrangement sounds interesting tho'!

Whatever - it didn't sell so is probly still up for grabs!

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Yeh right....
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 00:02:23 »
Original bodywork doesn't count for anything on a chassis'd vehicle,  even if it's an original chassis with a lot of "stuff" done to it it possibly qualifies as a radical modification which would mean it'd need a new plate,  again just changing the suspension, transmission, engine etc counts for a large number of points so even with the original chassis I think you're pushing your luck...

it seems like a lot of legal ambiguity to go to for a saving of a couple of hundred quid a year, but who am I to judge :D
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal