AuthorTopic: Is it fair to mock freelanders  (Read 11501 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
Is it fair to mock freelanders
« on: August 06, 2007, 22:09:14 »
A mate has bought a 6 year old one. Are they any use off road or will it curl up and die in the car park?
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 22:14:56 »
They are ok, depends on the use, can be modded too. You'll find a standard freelander is about as good as it gets on wet grass compared to any other standard LR.....but of course we dont all drive on wet grass in standard cars!
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 22:29:47 »
yes!!!!!! :lol:
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 22:45:15 »
Given their lack of ground clearance it is unfair to mock freebies too much. They won't go where a defender can or would but there again, a standard disco would stuggle to follow a defender.

Whereas a disco or defender on aggressive tyres will go pretty much anywhere, overly aggressive tyres on a freeby will hinder the traction control.

I enjoyed my Td4 and it took me where I wanted to go and didn't embarass me but I needed a bigger vehicle so I got a D2 :)

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 23:24:18 »
This one is a 5 door and was bought as a dog basket, which immediatly got the 'so why get a 4x4 when you'll never use it off road or for towing?' comments which have yet to yield a sensible answer. Still if we ever get more than another inch of snow at least i won't need to rescue him.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 23:25:41 »
yet most Landy owners would mock a frontera that has more ground clearence than a freaklander (about the same as a Disco) and at least one live axle in standard trim, and a low ratio box, strange that :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 23:37:26 »
Oh i can sympathise there after all how hairdresser is a maverick?
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline C C

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 00:27:54 »
So long as guy is happy with it, good luck to him I say.
C C

TD5 Disco.
Kawasaki ZZR600.

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:36:45 »
Quote from: "C C"
So long as guy is happy with it, good luck to him I say.

Couldnt agree more :wink:  :wink:

Cheers

Mark

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:53:41 »
I see no reason too, When I went laning with Schuee, he made it through all the brown stuff with out a hitch! that was with road tyres! :lol:

I say they have a purpose and there is no reason to mock them.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline hrox

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:23:30 »
i dont mock them as everyone is entitled to there own motor with out being looked upon as  :shock:     some people perfer a freelander as its more suitable to there needs that a disco,   A friend of mine has just gone to scotland in his almost brand new 3 dr freelander with the van on the back yet has a fully modded dosco with all the trimmings sat at home.

if thats what he wants then be happy for him and try and help if he needs it.  is that not what we are all here for?
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline chris.hunt22

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 10:48:42 »
freeloader, oops sorry freelander, cracking car for going to the shops, taking the dog out in, going golfing in etc.  Offroad?  chocolate teapot comes to mind but it all depends on what you want one for, I can live with Landrovers poor build quality and dodgy reliability in a vehicle thats a brilliant off roader but the freelander to me has never really made sense, my mate used to work for Land Rover assistance and he hates them especially the 1.8 k series engined ones, clutch hydraulics are especially poor.

Like I said, before I get a load of abuse thrown my way from Freelander owners thrown my way, it all depends what you want and need from a vehicle. :wink:
'If in doubt, give it a clout!'

1996 Discovery Tdi XS Bright Red
Loads of mods - NOW GONE :-(

2000 Discovery Td5 ES Manual - soon to be chipped!!

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 12:23:34 »
remember the old saying

its not what you have its what you do with it that matters!

Offline Discohugh

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 12:39:28 »
We have a Disco(mine) and a Freelander Td4(hers), the freelander is superb very refined around town ,great on long journeys and on tracks,fields and mild green lanes is very good. It was never marketed as being as capable as  a disco or defender. I really like it and it is better than most people think, drive one then comment dont just form a hear say opinion.

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 12:54:03 »
Its unfair to compare a freelander and a disco, tow totally different vehicles built for different things. I was impressed with Schuee's has no problems in some of the muddy lanes.

I see no reason to mock anyone for what they drive.. Its not what you drive its the way you drive it that counts!
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 12:54:09 »
I think my concern is if i were to invite it up to the woods(oooooh and indeed errrrr misses) would i end up a hero by pulling it out of a bog or a chump needing to follow behind it on a rope?
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 14:19:34 »
Quote from: "Bigbluemaverick"
I think my concern is if i were to invite it up to the woods(oooooh and indeed errrrr misses) would i end up a hero by pulling it out of a bog or a chump needing to follow behind it on a rope?

You've no worries there mate, get that diff oil changed as we discussed (API GL5 LS) so the LSD will work properly and you're away. As for the Mav being a hairdressers car, a huge bulk of them were bought by farmers who wanted something a bit more civilised without the Disco/RR cost, never heard anyone consider them hairdressers cars, thought that was a vitara thing.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline jimny33

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 17:06:45 »
I think you are all being a bit unfair to the freelander - and at a guess, most of you are being prejudice too.

I started off roading in my parents disco, and since then have driven defenders, ranges, shoguns, land cruisers, and many different jeeps off road and each as been very good in their own way. I currently drive a almost standard TD4 Freelander 1, with ony AT tyres and a stump guard, and it will go the majority of places that many other off road cars will go. What I find interesting is that most people claim that the freelander is rubbish off road yet...

Take the 'average' off roader:
Would use say a Disco 1
AT tyres,
Lift kit maybe
Stump guard
Gearbox guard
Diff guard

that would be it - that is all you need for green laning. If you want to go more heavy duty you have

Big lift kits,
MT tyres or extreme tyres
Winches etc.

Now the freelander cannot (as far as I know) go as extreme, but it can do do something...
Stump guard
Lift Kit
AT/MT Tyres

and the freelander will go father than your averagely equiped Disco - but here is where the Freelander can play its big advanged: On MT tyres the Freelander is quieter, and handles better than most ofhter Landies on AT tyres, and ti means after a day playing in the mud, the freelander driver can turn the AC on, turn the radio on, and cruise home at 70 in complete comfort. I challenge you to find a off road modded Defender or Disco to do that.

As everyone knows, if you do want to go extreme, there is nothing better than beam axles, live suspension, and a low ratio gear box - BUT most people dont use their vehicles like that all the time, and I reckon a Freelander with AT tyres on would suffice most drivers needs  :D

Now I love my freelander, and do alot of motorway miles as well as green lane miles, and untill I can afford to run a Disco 2 or a Disco 3, I wont be changing it for in that price range I dont think there is another vehicle which offers as much capability over two extremes  - fast and comfortable on road, and capable off it  :D  Seriously - give the Freelander a chance and you will be amazed

:P
My Land Rover Freelander TD4 creates less emisions than my house mates 1.3 petrol Fiesta and does more miles per gallon!

A Dirty Freelander TD4 - Kaylae

MAD RED DEVIL 003

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 17:24:32 »
Quote from: "jimny33"
I think you are all being a bit unfair to the freelander - and at a guess, most of you are being prejudice too.

Have you actually stopped to read this thread or just jumped straight in to defend your beloved freelanders against an imaginary attack. I don't think one person has slated them and most have said each to their own, if a freelander suits your needs then get one, good for you.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline jimny33

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 17:58:10 »
Quote from: "sptb"

Have you actually stopped to read this thread or just jumped straight in to defend your beloved freelanders against an imaginary attack. I don't think one person has slated them and most have said each to their own, if a freelander suits your needs then get one, good for you.

Yes I have - and reading back it does seem a bit defensive doesnt it  :oops:  :oops:

Sorry guys  :oops:  Just trying to put my part in about the freebie  :(  :D  :D
My Land Rover Freelander TD4 creates less emisions than my house mates 1.3 petrol Fiesta and does more miles per gallon!

MAD RED DEVIL 003

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 18:17:15 »
Our Freebie is on BFG AT's and it goes anywhere we want it to go. That is about it really. If I want to go a bit more serious, I use the 110.

It has never been stuck on our land...... the 110 has  :oops:  :oops: The traction control is superb. Haven't used the hill descent.... were in Norfolk  :lol: But I understand it's equally impressive.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 18:26:24 »
Quote from: "sptb"

Yes I have - and reading back it does seem a bit defensive doesnt it  :oops:  :oops:

Sorry guys  :oops:  Just trying to put my part in about the freebie  :(  :D  :D

I shouldnt worry about it, if your happy with then thats fine! I have had the mickey taken out of my Fronty for years by landover owners! would they still take the mickey if it was badged as the Isuzu? (although these days i do wipe a few smiles of "some" smug landrover owners)

You only have to look back at the fiat panda 4x4, now we all take the mickey out of that, but if you were honest you would say its a great motor for what it is!

Cheers

Mark

wrecker

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 18:28:39 »
jimny33

dont say sorry mate,i can under stand what your trying to get across :D

and as to free landers i like them alot,i run green laneing days and have had a few come along and even in standerd trim they are great,

so if i could afford one id have a freelander,think it will be my next 4x4 :D

mark

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 18:49:22 »
YES!!!
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 20:38:28 »
Ive had people take the mick out of my niva do i care no i dont.At the end of the day we all enjoy going out and playing in the mud no matter what we drive.Just my 2 pennies worth :lol:

Cheers Gav
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 20:55:38 »
As has been said before each to his own. I drive a disco 1 and used to own a 110 I've never driven a Gaylander so I can't comment. :roll:
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline jimny33

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 21:39:34 »
Quote from: "redhand"
I've never driven a Gaylander so I can't comment. :roll:

Oi cheeky!  :wink:

MAD RED DEVIL 003

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 00:29:02 »
A Td4 Freeby is a good choice for someone who wants 4x4 versatility and car like performance for long distance work. BUT.... the 3 door version is cramped for family use - don't know about the 5 door, I haven't driven one.

I changed to a Disco because my 3 door Td4 4 seater didn't accommodate 3 adults and 2 grandchildren.

Yes I do miss the freeby but I do enjoy the Disco's refinements and the ease of parking an auto. The Disco also has a better turning circle than the Freeby but if you drive like a pratt in a Disco then chances are you will drive like a pratt in a Freeby - or the other way round.

The Freeby was and is a life saver for Landrover. It is a vehicle that does most things for most people in its standard livery. As has been said, it sin't what you've got, it is what you do with it

Offline welshlaner

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 02:22:07 »
getting quite a few more freelanders on the north welsh lanes with us now, but the "problem" seems to be the owners and the relatively new vechicles they are not wanting them to get "too damaged", By that i mean stratches and minor bumps.

We've labeled a few "FF"'s freelaner friendly, but there is not that many, plus by now in the season most lanes are over grown as the vegation gets thick.

The same applies to newer landys and newer vechicles for that matter, but they can at least use open moorland, the ground clearance is an issue, most rutted north welsh lanes are made by landies, so they get ground out more often.
Without a club  2008 - any takers

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 13:12:40 »
Well, over the last 8 years i have spend over £10k on my Disco and its only worth about £1500.
Mrs wizard has had her XEDI Freelander for over 5 years now and i have only coughed up about £400 on it !!!!

Makes you think

wizard :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal